My car is at JBS for a GT3071R fitting.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
eddie what crank are you using if you have it mapped to get 500bhp? most people i've asked reckon the 1.8t's have strong steel forged cranks capable of taking high hp! what do jbs reckon?

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Not sure if I'll be going all the way upto 500bhp, I'll have to see how the JBS demo Octy copes first. AFAIK though that's running the standard crank and the intention is to take that as far as the turbo will allow.

Not in relation to this but on the big turbo subject someone on another forum has suggested a large port head. Now as my head as already been sent off with the valves I'm not keen to change but just wondered what peoples thoughts were. I think Bill has the largeport head but not sure about anyone else.

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
With a turbo the size running a stnd head flowed should be okay. The turbo has the power to overcome the head restriction, and the flowed stnd head may well help it spool better anyway. Only my 2p could well be talking bollocks.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
most of the higher pushed BT cars are running largeport heads, AEB ones in the US... Now that does'nt mean they have to.

I thought Jame's Octy was largeport? (or ported small port?) -dunno.

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
I recieved an update tonight so here's some more pics:

6spd box fitted:

1_6spd_is_in.JPG

Turbo and equal length manifold (manifold will be thermally coated for final fitment):

1_turbo_2.JPG

1_turbo_1.JPG

I'm also looking to add the following items to the install:

Oil catch tank
Adjustable and serviceable waste gate actuator
Water injection

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
ibizacupra said:
most of the higher pushed BT cars are running largeport heads, AEB ones in the US... Now that does'nt mean they have to.

I thought Jame's Octy was largeport? (or ported small port?) -dunno.
Talking of large port heads! Have you seen the large port manifold by APR looks the nutts! :)
APR_INTAKE_VS_STOCK1.JPG

It's from this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2517925

Has an RS4 throttle body on it! :drool:

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
GT30R is bigger than gt3071r and is what i'm suprised about how it is still competitve especially on a 1.8. I was looking at a similarly large turbo but have been told it will be way too laggy?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I keep hearing "its laggy" but I have seen a GT30R on an Ibiza against my PE1820 and it did'nt loose anything in spool out of slow chicanes compared to mine. It was turned down to 1.2bar vs my 1.6bar at the time. It was'nt what I would call laggy in car to car terms. It had loadsa power when running the same boost as mine, but span 5th up at will.!

only 2wd

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
YerMother said:
How much are they Bill?

bout 2/3'rds down first page...

Im wondering if the port matching is giving most of the gains. Im sure the TB is worth a few hp. The APR manifold seems to be so close in design to the stock manifold is it really worth $1599. Im having a tough time justifying the money when I could upgrade the turbo for the same amount of $$ and have way more than a 36whp gain.

So £850 exc import duty. Looks nice tho!

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Stateside prices quoted at around 1700 dollars with TB - 900 without

By the time it gets here in 2020, you can change the dollar sign for pounds, and you won`t be far wrong in the pricing - Nice but expensive.

When using the large TB they claim +25bhp over standard setup

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I am considering something bigger myself for the next phase of tuning performance from badgerwagen. Nice as it is, the price is a deterrant sadly.
S4 throttle body appeals for the power levels I have in mind :)

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
ryan_s3 said:
GT30R is bigger than gt3071r and is what i'm suprised about how it is still competitve especially on a 1.8. I was looking at a similarly large turbo but have been told it will be way too laggy?

Having driven a similar setup to what I will have in the form of the JBS demo Octy, lag really wasn't a problem in my eyes. I think the extra capacity and equal length manifold must help with this.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
YerMother said:
Talking of large port heads! Have you seen the large port manifold by APR looks the nutts! :)
i've just bought this one and got it polished as well,much cheaper than the apr one!
Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
caney said:
i've just bought this one and got it polished as well,much cheaper than the apr one!
Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

looks really cool![B)] - when I saw your post I rushed out to the garage in a cold sweat and lifted the bonnet on mine to see if it was still there:lol: - it works very well and even with Evoshield, will fit under the LCR bonnet
1213051520.jpg

The attraction of the APR setup was the power potential of large throttlebody - but I am very wary of getting too greedy and spoiling the balance of the setup I already have - my car goes really well and is a great compromise for general daily road use - its been very reliable - done 15000 miles since Jabba - without a hitch - excellent economy, drivability and performance within the limits of FWD

I can understand Bill needing more with his racing program, and had I the four wheel drive of the Octy/TT to put the power down, I sure would be tempted to go for 400+ of the 3071 - will be a fantastic prospect:funk:

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Songman said:
looks really cool![B)] - when I saw your post I rushed out to the garage in a cold sweat and lifted the bonnet on mine to see if it was still there:lol: - it works very well and even with Evoshield, will fit under the LCR bonnet
1213051520.jpg
:lol: snap!

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Songman said:
You`ve got great taste!!:D

Saw the impressive writeup about your car in Audi driver - great stuff:clap:
cheers mate! back on topic now though as eddy will shout at us[B)]

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.