my Cold Air Feed for smoothed airbox

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
Just thought I'd post a few pics of my cold air feed for my smoothed airbox

I smoothed my airbox in the same way as others have, but for the fitment of the cold air feed I didnt want to cut as much away from my airbox as I'd seen in examples.

I only removed the intake pipe on the inside of the airbox as u can see in the diagram, then I pushed the ducting (76mm ID) into the existing hole in the airbox, and some insutaing tape to hold it place (although not really needed).

I know its probably not as free flowing as cutting more away, but I wanted my airbox to be as intact as possible

DSCN2906.jpg

DSCN2907.jpg

DSCN2908.jpg

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
im going to do some logs as soon as ive fitted it... it was starting to get dark when i completed it and even tho its a simple re-install, i thought id wait til morning.

the panel filter im using is a jetex one

im not expecting massive gains (if any really), but when a mod is free other than time... im not too bothered :)

Cuprajoe

May 15, 2007
Its a good mod mate i would deff recommend it, i smoothed mine out with a 110V die grinder so it didnt take long lol. In fact ive got a green panel filter going cheap if your interested big eck done about 500 miles then went to cone due to bt conversion

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
That looks a really neat job - well done.

I could never find any plastic pipe/couplings/fittings the right size - what part is that and where from?

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Looks good, really need to get my ass in gear and do this myself although I need to borrow a mate's dremmel first as bugger doing all that by hand.

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
That looks a really neat job - well done.

I could never find any plastic pipe/couplings/fittings the right size - what part is that and where from?

i looked for ages to find the right size, and hardware stores dont seem to do anything in 3" any more. i got this stuff (76mm inside diameter) from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/76mm-3-VENAIR...ryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its a really tight fit into the existing hole in the airbox, so it seals really well and shouldnt go anywhere

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
ive located the inlet pointing backwards in the inner wing, in the same position as the standard pipe, i just cut the hole in the foam slightly larger to accomodate the bigger pipe.

i didnt drill the airbox, just removed the all of the plastic ribs and the plastic pipe bit inside the box

externally the airbox looks no different

footlong

Oct 12, 2007
South yorkshire
I Smoothed Mine Out. Halfway Through Dremmel Packed Up. Rest Done By Hand- I Was Suicidal By The End Of It!!! I Cursed The Day I Though Of Starting It!

dolf

The Dolf
Aug 14, 2006
cheshire
i have a smoothed airbox that i will sell. Includes wider intake (80mm i think), short length of silicone pipe and nearly new green panel filter. £50 delivered.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
No, I meant the actual fitting/piece of pipe that the hose goes into - the one that's mounted in the airbox :doh:

ive pushed the ducting straight into the oval in the airbox, no other fittings

some insulating tape wrapped around, but thats it

thewiizard

Tarmac Tantaliser
Jan 15, 2007
Rugby, Midlands
www.tbfh.org
Looking at the sticky this is the best method for the intake side of things. Just to clarify what I've gathered from the pictures, i need to remove all moulding marks and section dividers to leave a completely smooth inner and then replace standard with a green panel filter.

Would I need to modify the CAI as done in the pictures also?

Cheers me dears x

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
Looking at the sticky this is the best method for the intake side of things. Just to clarify what I've gathered from the pictures, i need to remove all moulding marks and section dividers to leave a completely smooth inner and then replace standard with a green panel filter.

Would I need to modify the CAI as done in the pictures also?

Cheers me dears x

you got it, u dont have to modify the CAI, ive had the standard one fitted with the smoothed box until now

oh, and i also cut away the intake pipe on the inside of the bottom half of the airbox (when u look in ur airbox u will clearly see what has been removed and smoothed)

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
not really... i still havent done any logs to compare tho. il do that soon

i drove it for a while smoothed, but with the standard plastic intake pipe... i noticed a difference when i fitted the bigger flexible ducting in its place, but the difference was only the dump valve was considerabley louder

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.