My Leon cupra Steering Rack has gone...

leoncupra180

Hi guys real bad news today, my power steering went on me thursday night last week after hitting a large pothole. I was a few miles from home when i hit the pothole by the time i got home the steering was gone all stiff and noisy, checked the fluid and it was empty loads of fresh fluid arround the drivers side track rod gaiter.
Topped it up wilth some fluid to see how bad the leack was it went straight away through the track rod seal. So im thinking theres no quick fix when its gone this bad.

so i booked it in a garage i use and they had my car in today. they phoned me dinner time telling me the steering rack has gone they cant find any recon steering racks for a leon cupra. he then told me a genuine seat part would cost 900 quid fitted. to cut it short i picking it up tomorrow and a mate of somebody i work with said he would help me fit it as he is a mechanic.

So i cant afford that sort of money at the moment and i was checking about the internet well ebay to see what options i got. The garage said it has to be a seat part as vw, audi etc.. are different size. but im thinking they are wrong as most for sale quote vw,audi,leon and skoda. cant post URLs yet to show one i found.

I would be very grateful for any info on a steering rack which fits the leon cupra. I will check the breackers yards around my way tomorrow.

Thanx guys

lyceum

Take lots of pics mate and of the pot hole and the visibility of it from behind the wheel. Then send the quote with covering letter and photos to the local council. Worth a go, they are responsible for keeping the roads in a decent shape and they are being a bit slow in repairing them at the moment. Read this in Auto Express, btw.

Reactions: Andrewwright

leoncupra180

Thanx m8 my boss said to try that. Also he told me try a claim with my insurance. my job is a panel beater in a car and Commercial bodyshop and he said hes had to fit a one due to accident damage a while back. It would be nice to hav a genuine part fitted.

leoncupra180

cheers rob i was just about to check eurocarparts not a bad price 168 quid after they get mine back and checked.

leoncupra180

Phoned acs power steering today as they got an ebay shop. They dont stock the leon cupra 20vt steering rack but they said its the same as an audi tt rack and they have them in stock for 140 quid.

just wondering can anybody confirm this for me as they said its the same and not had any come backs on any other sales. plus they do 2 year warranty.

robbob

Leon Cupra
Jul 24, 2008
Portsmouth
You will have to be careful with a TT rack cos i believe they are a 'faster' turn. so your traction control may **** itself everytime you turn the wheel. Someone else may be able to confirm this

Reactions: Andrewwright
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise