My renault aero wipers are juddering

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Warning Aero Wipers May Be Dangerous

The drivers wiper seems to stick at the bottom of the screen causing it to then judder. It doesn't happen all the time only every now and again. Has anyone else had this and do you know how to cure it.

Edit: Please read post 10

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I may be barking completely up the wrong tree, but I was under the belief that wiper motors were built to handle particular tolerances of resistances that they may face when dragging your average wiper up and down the screen, even at speed.

The new wipers may be putting a greater stress on the motor if they are pressing harder on the screen, particularly if one of your aero wipers is longer than one of the ones you took off (I think the renault ones have one long and one short wiper).

You'd think / hope it would make little difference, but with the VAG motors of late I wouldn't be surprised.

As I said above, this could be complete nonsense but its worth a punt of consideration.

Try cleaning your screen, then T-Cut it. Then clean the wipers with something like rain-x to reduce the wiping resistence. Clare's Bora aero wipers were quite bad and then I bent the arms a bit and they got worse so don't do that either.

babaa

Nov 24, 2004
Surrey/Hants
Only just got some at the start of the week, but so far they have been fine. Except for the last inch or so of the passenger side not sitting flat against the window, but I can live with this.

Hopefully mine won't do the same as the blades clear the screen so much better than the normal Bosch ones that I had before. If the screen wasn't pretty much drenched when I used them, there was always nasty smears right in your line of sight on both wipers.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I do agree they do clean the screen much better than the original ones. Its just every now and then they seem to stick at the bottom of the screen. This has only happened 5 or 6 times since I have fitted them (about 2 weeks ago). Although it did happen three times on my way to work this morning.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
At around 70 miles per hour in the pouring rain, my aero wipers gave up. They were jumping all over the screen and not clearing any water at all. Very scary traveling that fast and not being able to see.

If anyones wipers are juddering i would take them off and put the standard ones back on. I was very lucky not to have a crash. One second they were working fine and the next they were jumping off the screen and not doing anything.

Could a mod make this a sticky as I think everyone with these wipers arms needs to be aware of this.

Now I have my standard wipers back on everything is fine.

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
TimBarratt said:
At around 70 miles per hour in the pouring rain, my aero wipers gave up. They were jumping all over the screen and not clearing any water at all. Very scary traveling that fast and not being able to see.

If anyones wipers are juddering i would take them off and put the standard ones back on. I was very lucky not to have a crash. One second they were working fine and the next they were jumping off the screen and not doing anything.

Could a mod make this a sticky as I think everyone with these wipers arms needs to be aware of this.

Wish I could put standard wipers on mine that easily, I have the VW aero ones as standard, and they are a pain. I have had 3 sets now and they all have bounced up the screen.

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
TimBarratt said:

I work in the car trade and wanted to buy some aeros for my cupra from our local VW stealer,knowing who i was the parts bloke advised me not to as he didnt want to write me a credit note in a weeks time. :censored:
He told me that the new VW owners are coming in and replaceing the aeros with standered blades for this very problem.
Reading this has comfirmed what he said now im glad i didnt pi$$ £115 on them, Sorry for those who have.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Well i guess its back to the renault dealer to try and get my money back. seems like they really aren't a very good idea to fit these.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
have you checked the mounts (nuts at the base) and adjusted em yet ?

ill be honest i tightened mine up whilst i was there and had nowt but good from em

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Fl@pper said:
have you checked the mounts (nuts at the base) and adjusted em yet ?

ill be honest i tightened mine up whilst i was there and had nowt but good from em
Likewise, I've been travelling at greater speeds than quoted here, in heavy rain with high winds etc.. no probs for me!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
since fitting my golf aero wiper kit (inc arms) i can only praise the wipers. Was very lucky to pick it all up secondhand from ebay, but my god they are good.

Today I actually adjusted the angle of the passenger wiper as I dont like the idea of having to cut the blade down each time - so the passenger wiper doesnt drop quite so far now....
Looks fine and works brilliantly.

Oh, and i have NEVER had my aero wipers judder - my std ones did it ALL the time. I tried 4 new blade sets to no avail, so opted for aeros ever since.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Redcupra20vt said:
could this be due to the fact you dont have a spoiler on the wiper arm anymore
the shape of them is almost as per a spoiler anyway if not better so shouldnt get any lift

in fact mine dont even complain on a dry screen :confused:

i just wish i could make the top speed faster after last nites downpour - ibiza 1+2 speed dont seem much different to me

tim - its not getting stuck on the bottom of the screen on the scuttle panel is it ?

Last edited:

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Fl@pper said:
the shape of them is almost as per a spoiler anyway if not better so shouldnt get any lift

in fact mine dont even complain on a dry screen :confused:

i just wish i could make the top speed faster after last nites downpour - ibiza 1+2 speed dont seem much different to me

tim - its not getting stuck on the bottom of the screen on the scuttle panel is it ?

They could be the drivers does seem to drop a long way. I can't really put them back on again though as they were damaged when they came off the screen. I think im just going to take them back as i have lost confidence in them and dont really trust them anymore.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.