My Retro Fitted Xenons

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Well i decided to take the plunge and go for it. Yes it was expensive but i plan on keeping the car for a while so i dont mind the cost.

Its not fully finished as ive not installed the wire for the Bi-Xenon yet but thats the easy part when i get round to it.

I couldnt of done this install without the fantastic help from leviathan, many thanks to him. I will put up more detailed info if anyone would like it, but for now enjoy the piccies.:D

DSC00109-1.jpg

DSC00110-1.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00113-1.jpg

DSC00114-1.jpg

DSC00115-1.jpg

bakester69

Nov 30, 2008
Monmouth, S.Wales
Hi mate,
Just wondered where you sourced the lights and how much they were if u dont mind me asking?
Also, a little off the topic but have you got any side view pics of the car as i am planning on having mine lowered with the pro-line springs and wondered what the drop is like.
Cheers

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
The lights were £166 each from the dealer then you need bulbs and ballasts.

I dont have a pic directly from the side but this one nearly is. Sometimes i wish it was lower but sometimes i like it as it is lol.

DSCF2826.jpg

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
wont it fail the MOT though?
no washers for the headlights?

I hope this doesnt turn into another "are xenons legal" thread.

TBH its apparently abit of a grey area, do some searching on here and you will find tons of threads about it.

I think aslong as the beam is aligned correctly i dont see why it should fail a MOT.

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Thing is when you wash the lights with the washers they do bugger all anyway still see flys and stuff on there so I wouldn't worry

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
I'm sure I've seen OEM cars with xenons and no washers. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure they are aligned properly. Any MOT garage can do this for you. Do your xenons turn on corners?

What was the total cost including bulbs and ballasts and wiring etc? Are these not a £900 extra option from factory?

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I'm sure I've seen OEM cars with xenons and no washers.

You probably have, but they will be retrofitted kits. All cars with factory xenon lights need to have auto levelling and washers, and the lights need to have been designed as Xenons rather than an HID ballast/bulb retrofitted.

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
You probably have, but they will be retrofitted kits. All cars with factory xenon lights need to have auto levelling and washers, and the lights need to have been designed as Xenons rather than an HID ballast/bulb retrofitted.

Nope definitely 100% factory OEM car with Xenons and no washers. Was some Mitsubishi something kind of granny car, so unless granny's are now into modding... I like you thought the same until I saw this car. I even stopped to have a second look.

Only other theory I can think of is that it was not a proper Xenon.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Got details of the car? Sometimes the washers are integrated in to the headlamps like on Minis.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
The lights were £166 each from the dealer then you need bulbs and ballasts.

I dont have a pic directly from the side but this one nearly is. Sometimes i wish it was lower but sometimes i like it as it is lol.

DSCF2826.jpg

Just out of intrest how much were the bulbs?
iirc someone on here got charged £80 for a new bulb.

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
Got details of the car? Sometimes the washers are integrated in to the headlamps like on Minis.

Nope sorry, car was from far east, and granny/slow looking.

I take it the Mini washer is the silver blob on the right. The car I saw had nothing like that. No moving parts.

P0027653_800.jpg

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
There won't be a new car on the road with factory fit Xenon's that doesn't have washers. It's illegal. Factory fit HID's like the new Civic may be different. But no new car manufacturer can fit Xenon lights without the level and washers being installed

I love what the OP has done they look fantastic and far better than the HID's on my car but they are still illegal and wouldn't pass an MOT (or an MOT done correctly)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE

Work this out then.

xantiahids002.jpg

Factory fit HID with reflectors.

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
As mentioned above maybe HID's don't need them but Xenon's do. Not sure what that car is but judging by the HID lights with a Xenon sticker I would imagine it is fantastic

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
As mentioned above maybe HID's don't need them but Xenon's do. Not sure what that car is but judging by the HID lights with a Xenon sticker I would imagine it is fantastic

HID and Xenon are the same thing.

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge, this is a high voltage spark in a bulb filled with xenon gas rather than a filament in a bulb filled with halogen gas.

There are filament bulbs that have xenon gas inside them, these are the expensive HID look alike bulbs that don't last very long like the philips bluevision etc.

The car in the pic is a Laguna, it came from the factory in 2005 with HID's that bend all the rules about projector lenses, washers and leveling systems. Go figure.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members