Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

My Spare Key Sets The Alarm Off

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by calvin, Aug 18, 2005.

1. calvin

calvin Guest

Can Any One Help Me Please I've Searched And Cant Find Anything.
    I Have A Lc And When I Try And Use The Spare (non Remote ) Key It Opens The Door But Then The Alarm Imediatly Goes Off, Even If I Try It In The Ignition.
    Im Thinking It Needs Reprograming Can I Do It Myself?

2. Scotty_b

Scotty_b Leon Cupra 300R

Does it start the car?
    I was told when i got mine (LCR) the spare only gets you in and wont start the car but it does!

3. calvin

calvin Guest

Yes The Car Starts No Prob!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

4. Chemical Al

Chemical Al Trollied Member

ususally with the spare you can unlock the car but then have 15 seconds to turn the ignition on. Whats it say in the manual?

5. nickkis

nickkis Coming back to the fold

Its normal, its weird but it shouldn't cut in for about 10 seconds.

6. Toledo07

Toledo07 Guest

Has anyone else got any ideas on this subject?

My Toledo does exactly the same thing, spare key opens the car starts the ignition but set the alarm off!

Would i have to get a new key that matches the master key to sort this problem!

Also when closing the car it doesnt shut all the doors via central locking?!!

Cheers

7. Danny_FR

Danny_FR Soot? Meh...

Mine did that last week. I was working earlies, got up slightly late and in my semi-awake, non coffee start to the day I picked up the spare keys and set the alarm off at 04:45am... Maybe had something to do with me opening the back door first though. When I got home from work, some neighbours came across... Apparently I was like a cartoon character running backwards and forwards from the house looking for the remote key in a panic!:hide:

8. Colonelk

Colonelk Active Member

So are you guys saying that the spare key is effectively useless? I'm intending to give the spare to the wife, so the last thing I want is for her to not bea ble to drive the car without setting the alarm off.......or do I? :cheeky:

9. Gigel

Gigel Guest

I'm using my spare key every day without any problems.
    But then again I ordered the car without any alarm system (or maybe it has adn I don't know) and installed my own CAN BUS system which works like a dream.

10. Toledo07

Toledo07 Guest

At the moment that is the case here Colonelk. I only checked it the other day before sticking it on my girlfriends keyring. I'm wondering if an alarm was retrofitted and the original key isn't coded to disable it.

Still doesn't explain why the key doesn't lock all the doors though!

I bet at that time in the morning danny it all made less sense then it does now!! Are you still having the same probs with the key now or was it just a one off?

11. Danny_FR

Danny_FR Soot? Meh...

To be honest, that was the first time I used the spare key and I haven't tried it since. I'll give it another try later on today. Maybe it is a case of you needing to put the key in the ignition within 10 seconds or so to disable the alarm.:confused:

12. Toledo07

Toledo07 Guest

I have been told that from a seat garage but still didn't work for me.

Let me know how you get on.

13. Gnollins

Gnollins Bosh!

If you use the key on the master fob to manually open the door (instead of using the remote unlock) the same thing happens.

14. Icecavern

Icecavern ICE God

If You Lock The Car With The Remote And Unlock With The Key The Alarm Isnt Disabled.

( OT Why do people insist on typing a capital letter at the front of every word, it takes twice as long to type? :confused: )

15. Paul_W

Paul_W Newbie

Glad I wasn't the only person wondering that

16. Toledo07

Toledo07 Guest

Well after testing my spare and master key they both set the alarm off if using them manually they dont control the central locking either.
    The only thing that activates and deactivates the alarm and central locking is my key fob which i only have one of, making my spare uterly useless!!

Surely this can't be normal ?

17. montana83

montana83 Full Member

well just tried this on mine and i get a slightly different thing, use my spare and can get in drive around fine alarm doesn't go off, but when i got out and locked the car the alarm went off, so for some reason i can unlock but not lock the car with my spare.... BIZARRE

18. Danny_FR

Danny_FR Soot? Meh...

Right, I've just been out and checked (completely forgot before). Lock the car with the remote, give it 10 mins or so for the interior sensors to settle, unlock the door with the spare and put key in ignition and turn the ignition ON. There is no need to start the car, just turn ignition on so the lights on the dash light up. Voila, alarm doesn't go off!

The central locking on mine does work with the key, one turn and back to rest position opens the drivers door only, turn again and return to rest position opens everything.

19. Toledo07

Toledo07 Guest

I'll try that then danny, perhaps i wasn't letting the sensors settle down as i was literally locking it with the fob then trying to open it with the spare!!

Does your alarm activate when using the spare?

P.S has your pipercross filter had any effects on performance?

20. Danny_FR

Danny_FR Soot? Meh...

Yup, the alarm still works when using the key as it does when using the fob.;)

[off topic] The Pipercross hasn't done anything by ways of adding power but the turbo definately spools up quicker, whistles louder and it even sounds like it's got a dump valve now!:funk: [/off topic]