MY19 Leon CUPRA Details

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Although already being discussed/debated in other threads, I thought it would make sense to post this as a new thread so it doesn't get quickly lost.

SEAT UK have today announced specification changes for the MY19 CUPRA, that will come into effect once production starts in cw42 (week-commencing 15th October):

Exterior Changes
Copper SEAT badges
Black brake calipers
Copper SEAT logo on alloy wheels
Black CUPRA flag
Black rear CUPRA lettering

Interior Changes
Copper SEAT logo on steering wheel
Interior copper and black detailing (although what this actually means is not specified)
Copper media screen logo

As I understand it, customer orders originally ordered as MY18 and then centrally-amended to MY19 that are built before cw42 will not have these changes, but those built from cw42 will.

They have also confirmed basic technical data for the 290 models (although have yet to confirm whether it will be 6spd or 7spd DSG-auto):

0-62 mph - 6.0 secs (down from 5.8 secs on 300PS)
Combined CO2 - 152 g/km (down from 158 g/km on 300PS)
Combined MPG - 42.2 (up from 40.9 on 300PS)

More details as-and-when they become available...

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
@Damo7 is going to be so smug now :D, I am just glad that it appears that cars ordered as 300's wont get this.
Majority of people who ordered 300's will get this new copper rubbish. Mine is build week 44, not many will get built before week 42.

CupraDesireRed

May 18, 2018
Majority of people who ordered 300's will get this new copper rubbish. Mine is build week 44, not many will get built before week 42.

Ah sorry I thought they would have cleared the backlog first before moving over as lots of people (myself included) have had build weeks. However I did order in February so your mileage may vary

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Ah sorry I thought they would have cleared the backlog first before moving over as lots of people (myself included) have had build weeks. However I did order in February so your mileage may vary
I ordered in February aswell. Up until yesterday I didn't even have a build week until my salesman went above customer services to the fleet manager for a chat. This is another setback god knows how the car will even look absolutely pathetic from Seat yet again.

CupraDesireRed

May 18, 2018
I ordered in February aswell. Up until yesterday I didn't even have a build week until my salesman went above customer services to the fleet manager for a chat. This is another setback god knows how the car will even look absolutely pathetic from Seat yet again.

No I agree, the changing of power by 10 bhp is really neither here nor the given the car has nearly 300.

However that combined with us not being able to have the orange we paid for was annoying enough.

I can't imagine how annoying it is having what sounds like a brand new look to the car, one, which no one has seen and has not chosen a colour to compliment.

All we need to top this is for the exhaust to sound like garbage :banghead2

My only other thought is if they're changing at BW42 then will that affect gearbox or who does and doesn't get winter pack if in fact that is now standard?

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Thanks for the info Scrogg.

Surely they would have done some customer research before adding all the copper. I can see SEAT had little choice with the technical changes, but everyone seems to dislike the copper accents, you may 'just' about get away with it on the R as its a limited run and on Black or White but its gonna look terrible on Red or Blue IMO. I wonder if the wheels have just the copper logo or are actually partly copper coloured like the Rs.

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
I'm BW39 (already built) and I don't know if I'm glad or not that I won't have copper badges.

I've already got the black lettering at home so that's fine.

Mystery blue so maybe not getting copper is a good thing.

Id just like the information on the Winter Pack! And 0.2 seconds seems like quite a lot for only a 10hp drop.

Than exhaust better sound heavenly to make up for all this stuff haha

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Black brake calipers, where's the fun in that!

Looks like I got lucky with my Orange 300 then being as the colour has been discontinued...

Damo7

Sep 11, 2016
People laughed at me 2 months ago...

It’s exactly as I told you it would be.

@Scrogg in relation to the interior it’s very very like Ateca cupra pics that were released. Primarily black, 1 copper S on wheel but black most other places and zero flags inside and one black flag on the front.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I'm so glad I got an MY18 300 SC manual before all this rubbish came about. What puzzles me most is why SEAT have done this to the Cupra? Its almost like they're trying to reduce sales of Cupra's. Maybe someone from SEAT came on holiday to the UK and got a shiny new 2p in their change and thought wow that's a lovely colour I'll add it to our cars....

I'm trying to think what I see regularly that's copper coloured and to be honest apart from pocket shrapnel it's absolutely nothing and there's a good reason for that, it's a pretty crap colour. "I really must have more copper coloured things in my life, especially on my car" said no one ever.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I'm so glad I got an MY18 300 SC manual before all this rubbish came about. What puzzles me most is why SEAT have done this to the Cupra? Its almost like they're trying to reduce sales of Cupra's. Maybe someone from SEAT came on holiday to the UK and got a shiny new 2p in their change and thought wow that's a lovely colour I'll add it to our cars....

I'm trying to think what I see regularly that's copper coloured and to be honest apart from pocket shrapnel it's absolutely nothing and there's a good reason for that, it's a pretty crap colour. "I really must have more copper coloured things in my life, especially on my car" said no one ever.
Totally agree with you it's horrid and a crazy decision to alter styling of the current model.

I feel its to ease towards the new mk4 being available as a Cupra Leon with the new badge and copper everything. This is a marketing attempt to make it the norm and slip the new model and brand in easier.

Reactions: Wings988

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Totally agree with you it's horrid and a crazy decision to alter styling of the current model.

I feel its to ease towards the new mk4 being available as a Cupra Leon with the new badge and copper everything. This is a marketing attempt to make it the norm and slip the new model and brand in easier.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.
What puzzles me most is why copper at all, see my 1st post for why! The red/silver Cupra flag logo looks great and suits all paint colours IMO, why not keep that and swap the S logo for the new tribal logo also in silver or maybe black, I think that would look much better.

Woody31

Jul 16, 2018

That all makes sense but when they have a backlog of orders I think its 100% wrong to be making the changes to cars that people have already ordered under a different set of specs! I didn't choose a car with all these changes and no-one has asked if its ok with me(people with outstanding orders) or shown me what it may look like as such!

Reactions: Copra68
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.