MY19 Leon CUPRA Details

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
That all makes sense but when they have a backlog of orders I think its 100% wrong to be making the changes to cars that people have already ordered under a different set of specs! I didn't choose a car with all these changes and no-one has asked if its ok with me(people with outstanding orders) or shown me what it may look like as such!
When I called to complain they basically said take it or leave it. They reserve the right to change the spec as much as they like, I answered and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference if I cancelled my order because I don't want a car and didn't order a car with copper on it.

They might aswell have made the badges pink so more people could make an easy decision to tell them to ram it. There isn't even pictures to see what the leon will look like.

Woody31

Jul 16, 2018
When I called to complain they basically said take it or leave it. They reserve the right to change the spec as much as they like, I answered and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference if I cancelled my order because I don't want a car and didn't order a car with copper on it.

They might aswell have made the badges pink so more people could make an easy decision to tell them to ram it. There isn't even pictures to see what the leon will look like.

Its the lack of images that 'scares' me. I know in the other thread there are basic mocked up images etc but don't release worded info without visual cues too explain for customers! I can accept WLTP changes as such but styling is such a big thing to some people!

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
It will be very interesting to see what happens to sales figures on the Leon Cupra, a few of the MY19 sales will be backlog sales from 2018 orders. How many new sales will they get when potential buyers see the copper details and power/0-62 reduction?

Then with Mk4 and the full on Cupra branding going copper, no SC and possibly higher pricing from what I've read in the press, who knows how sales will go then? Will Hyundai i30n and Renault RS Megane sales increase as a result. ..lol

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
It will be very interesting to see what happens to sales figures on the Leon Cupra, a few of the MY19 sales will be backlog sales from 2018 orders. How many new sales will they get when potential buyers see the copper details and power/0-62 reduction?

Then with Mk4 and the full on Cupra branding going copper, no SC and possibly higher pricing from what I've read in the press, who knows how sales will go then? Will Hyundai i30n and Renault RS Megane sales increase as a result. ..lol
I'd have an i30n but value is expected to drop like a brick, there is no good offers on them so unless you have money to burn they are a bad buy.

Reactions: Wings988

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I'd have an i30n but value is expected to drop like a brick, there is no good offers on them so unless you have money to burn they are a bad buy.
I know, last time I looked it was cheaper to get an M140i monthly than the i30N. Hyundai also don't seem to want to sell many cars in their new N brand. Crazy really, why waste money on adverts but make the car expensive to finance, they should save the advertising budget and make the cars cheaper on finance and more sales will occur. I see loads of adverts for things I can't afford, doesn't make me able to buy them.

Reactions: Copra68

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I know, last time I looked it was cheaper to get an M140i monthly than the i30N. Hyundai also don't seem to want to sell many cars in their new N brand. Crazy really, why waste money on adverts but make the car expensive to finance, they should save the advertising budget and make the cars cheaper on finance and more sales will occur. I see loads of adverts for things I can't afford, doesn't make me able to buy them.
Spot on. I enquired about one at a local dealer they said the deals are that bad they have over produced them and have fields full of them. Said if I wanted one they'd have it in 2 weeks lol.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017

They’re expensive to finance via PCP/Lease as they lose much more value over the course of 3 years than something like a BMW, AUDI, VW etc would. The finance company has to factor that depreciation into account which is why brands such as Hyundai are always more expensive to purchase in this way.

That’s why you will get a better deal on an M140i than you would at the moment on the i30N...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I haven't got a Cupra on order, but I came close to it. Just as well I didn't as I think by now I'd have told them to shove it.
I certainly wouldn't have had the patience of you guys here. No way would I be happy dropping the best part of £30K on a vehicle not knowing what engine output, gearbox type and specification I was getting, or when I'd get it. I would have fallen at the first hurdle with my paint colour choice (Eclipse Orange).
Yes, I realise that a lot of the problems have not been of SEAT's making,but this latest announcement suggests that the SEAT management have failed to appreciate that a person doesn't just necessarily buy a car on its performance, emissions or economy figures alone.For many there's more to it than that. And from a company who's branding strapline is "Auto Emocion", that's a fundamental oversight I reckon.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
They’re expensive to finance via PCP/Lease as they lose much more value over the course of 3 years than something like a BMW, AUDI, VW etc would. The finance company has to factor that depreciation into account which is why brands such as Hyundai are always more expensive to purchase in this way.

That’s why you will get a better deal on an M140i than you would at the moment on the i30N...

I agree with you entirely.
Basically Hyundai have IMO very little brand value or customer loyalty for this type of car no matter how good it is, hence big depreciation. IMO to gain a foothold in the market doesn't just require a good product, when you're a new player going up against the established manufacturers that have built a loyal customer base you need to make it very enticing, either by spec/performance being totally superior to the opposition at the same price point or being significantly cheaper for the same spec. Hyundai have done neither. I don't doubt its a very good product but it's either not better enough or not cheap enough. And IMO the new Cupra brand needs to take this into account also, most people don't know what Cupra is, it has little history and for years the only Cupra was the Ibiza which didn't sell many.

Reactions: Tully1980

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
I haven't got a Cupra on order, but I came close to it. Just as well I didn't as I think by now I'd have told them to shove it.
I certainly wouldn't have had the patience of you guys here. No way would I be happy dropping the best part of £30K on a vehicle not knowing what engine output, gearbox type and specification I was getting, or when I'd get it. I would have fallen at the first hurdle with my paint colour choice (Eclipse Orange).
Yes, I realise that a lot of the problems have not been of SEAT's making,but this latest announcement suggests that the SEAT management have failed to appreciate that a person doesn't just necessarily buy a car on its performance, emissions or economy figures alone.For many there's more to it than that. And from a company who's branding strapline is "Auto Emocion", that's a fundamental oversight I reckon.

I think my Eclipse Orange SC may have been one of the last...!

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
I agree with you entirely.
Basically Hyundai have IMO very little brand value or customer loyalty for this type of car no matter how good it is, hence big depreciation. IMO to gain a foothold in the market doesn't just require a good product, when you're a new player going up against the established manufacturers that have built a loyal customer base you need to make it very enticing, either by spec/performance being totally superior to the opposition at the same price point or being significantly cheaper for the same spec. Hyundai have done neither. I don't doubt its a very good product but it's either not better enough or not cheap enough.

They could almost do with knocking the i30N out as a loss-leader to boost sales and to build reputation... It’s a brilliant car and sounds SO much better stock than a Cupra does..!

brivww

Brian W
Jan 30, 2018
That all makes sense but when they have a backlog of orders I think its 100% wrong to be making the changes to cars that people have already ordered under a different set of specs! I didn't choose a car with all these changes and no-one has asked if its ok with me(people with outstanding orders) or shown me what it may look like as such!

Absolutely agree. What a f**k*n' shambles

AlexOS

Although already being discussed/debated in other threads, I thought it would make sense to post this as a new thread so it doesn't get quickly lost.

SEAT UK have today announced specification changes for the MY19 CUPRA, that will come into effect once production starts in cw42 (week-commencing 15th October):

Exterior Changes
Copper SEAT badges
Black brake calipers
Copper SEAT logo on alloy wheels
Black CUPRA flag
Black rear CUPRA lettering

Interior Changes
Copper SEAT logo on steering wheel
Interior copper and black detailing (although what this actually means is not specified)
Copper media screen logo

As I understand it, customer orders originally ordered as MY18 and then centrally-amended to MY19 that are built before cw42 will not have these changes, but those built from cw42 will.

They have also confirmed basic technical data for the 290 models (although have yet to confirm whether it will be 6spd or 7spd DSG-auto):

0-62 mph - 6.0 secs (down from 5.8 secs on 300PS)
Combined CO2 - 152 g/km (down from 158 g/km on 300PS)
Combined MPG - 42.2 (up from 40.9 on 300PS)

More details as-and-when they become available...
I’m guessing the 290 figures are the 5door? And the ST is staying 300?

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
UK ordering has now opened for the CUPRA 290!

Price lists etc with full technical data are scheduled to be updated today, but the ordering system is still showing it as a 6-spd DSG-auto:

Attachments

• CUPRA 290.JPG
    CUPRA 290.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Copra68 and walshy