Mystery letter from Seat

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I had a mystery letter too.
Basically Leon Cupra's are in demand and they thought I might want to trade mine in for a new car.
There were just 2 problems - i) its not a good time for me to trade where I am in my finance agreement - and they didn't offer anywhere near enough for my car and ii) they have no car that I want as a replacement - looks like the Leon CUPRA is only going to be available in DSG form according to the latest price and spec list. I want a manual so this will perhaps be my last SEAT.

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I had a mystery letter too.
Basically Leon Cupra's are in demand and they thought I might want to trade mine in for a new car.
There were just 2 problems - i) its not a good time for me to trade where I am in my finance agreement - and they didn't offer anywhere near enough for my car and ii) they have no car that I want as a replacement - looks like the Leon CUPRA is only going to be available in DSG form according to the latest price and spec list. I want a manual so this will perhaps be my last SEAT.
If SEAT are planning to drop the manual gearbox It will definitely be my last SEAT.
It has been mentioned in another thread that VW are only fitting the DSG box to the Golf R, so that is ruled out also. I really do hope that this is not a sign of things to come. If only DSG boxes are going to be fitted by VAG in their more powerful models then those of us who choose to drive a manual may have to cast our nets wider.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
If SEAT are planning to drop the manual gearbox It will definitely be my last SEAT.
It's not a case of "if" - it was dropped last December. Where have you been for the last 9 months? :hide:

andycupra

status subject to change
my money is a poor deal is in the offering for you.
Even if the deal appears good, it WILL involve you spending more money for something you don't need and you will effectively double up on the horrendous new car depreciation.
By all means see what they offer (personally i'd have better things to do) but walk away is my advice.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
After being an advocate of manuals for the last 10 years I can't wait to get in a DSG.

I think it'll be a hard sell to go back to a manual after that too.

A lot of the issues I found with the DSG appear to be down to the way I was using it (like a manual).

That said if VW started to offer the rev matching on the manual like in the Hyundai, I may reconsider.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

@Trout just read the last part of his sig "Yes, I know I'm quite sarcastic sometimes. No, it's nothing personal, it's just how I am"

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Snap!

I read it too and it explains a lot from when I had the S3 for a couple of months.

I originally blamed the DSG but when I read this it suggested it was the way I was using it.

Can't wait for the 300/290 now

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It definitely helped me with moving from a Manual to the DSG. Biggest thing I had issues with was using the paddles to change down and overtake. I use that a bit now and the change down is smooth and keeps the power where I want it.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
A bit different I know but I've recently done a supercar track day and all the cars driven use the semi automatics with flappy paddles because they're performance cars and therefore why waste time with human gear changes? That apoears to be the way manufacturers are seeing things too as proof is in the amount of performance models that are only available in auto gearboxes.

Anyway, I've always been a lover of manuals but after driving these around, I'm now 99% certain my next car will be dsg but using more of the paddles to maintain that driver interaction. (Unless of course I opt for, dare I say it, a focus rs).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Just as a quick update...went there on Friday and it was a bit of a waste of time as expected.

Firstly, there was no talk about what we were looking for, there was just an assumption that I was there to order a brand new car on the spot, would have been a better use of everyone's time to establish that first off sure, then after loads of faffing got offered a part ex price that was just way off, that they wouldn't budge on. Did get to drive a brand new Ateca which is a very very nice car, though it was an TDI FR150 and felt sluggish to say that least. Told them if anything it would have to be the 190 TDI which they couldnt give me a price on :clap:then they found one on their stock list that fitted what I wanted, but again due to the stupid low part ex price it was out of budget. Was off work anyway with nothing planned though so not too bothered about the time it all took.

Once I got home and the excitement of the prospect of a new car had worn off and I thought about it with a sensible head the prices are kind of insane. A new Ateca (which it what I would go for, thinking of starting a family so downsizing isnt an option) in the spec I would want comes in at just over 32k. Lovely car though it is there are so so many more cars out there that I would rather spend that kind of money on. In the couple of years since I last bought a car it really does seem that they think they can get away with big RRP's for cars and then offer finance deals to get people in them. Maybe I'm a little old school but when I dont really need a new car it doesnt make much sense to me.

The salesman did keep asking what I didn't like about my car and what I would change, to be honest that was a mistake because it got me thinking that in reality it does everything I want it to, its out of warranty in April so thinking of getting it mapped then to bring a bit more excitement, and rather then get in nigh on 20K's worth of debt for a car I dont really need think I am going to get my bike license and get my thrills from that instead :bounce:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
J
T ... and rather then get in nigh on 20K's worth of debt for a car I dont really need think I am going to get my bike license and get my thrills from that instead :bounce:

Good shout - and if you want to get similar thrills for less dough and avoid nagging about the safety of bikes from your O/H then you could always try an already-built racy kitcar like a Westfield/Locust/Tiger/Xtreme/e.t.c. 'Lotus 7-esque' style sports car, (a Sylva Striker if you want the best.)

That would also save you the time and cost of getting a bike license and probably the need to bother mapping the SEAT...

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I am going to get my bike license and get my thrills from that instead :bounce:

Good man!! I used to have bikes but when push came to shove I had to get rid to finance my house purchase, start a family etc. Would give anything to have another bike again but the Mrs works on an orthopaedic ward so sees an awful lot of motorbike accidents and is subsequently not budging on getting a new bike front. Best bang for the buck though that's for sure and far more fun to take out that pretty much any car (helps that I love my cars too).

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Another vote for bikes from me. Rode down to Filey on my ‘62 Lambretta last night, tonight it was Whitby on my Moto Guzzi.
Regret all those middle years when I didn’t have a bike!

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Bit off the original topic but I used to have a triumph daytona 675, was an absolute machine and loved the twistys, just inspired confidence, even if talent struggled to keep up at times. Bike was far more capable than I was willing to push it on the road.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members