N249? Is this stopping my boost?

AdamHarling

Feb 7, 2007
Bath
Hi All...

Still getting to know this little thing.. enjoying but curious...

I have a couple of intermittent strange problems / features...

1. Sometimes, when on lite throttle, boost guage reading around the zero mark the dump valve will open and then not close for a long time, manifold pressure will drop to - 10 / - 20... it will close when I push the throttle... but sometimes it's a bit sluggish to close / start to boost.

2. other times... and this is more annoying... when giving it some beans.. it will pull the same prank after a gear change.. basically driving N/A with all the boost blowing out of the dump valve, which will then close all of a sudden and WHOOOSH your flying again... it's not like its turbo lag as it starts boosting at about 1.5k.. and this would be happening in the 3 - 4k region... this seams worse with the traction control ON.

Is the above normal? is this the famous N249 in action.. and would I have even noticed it without a boost gauge?!?

I don't know if it was doing this before the gauge was fitted.. and I swapped the dump valve for a Forge 006 at the same time as fitting the gauge... no leaks that I can find.. I have plumbed it in the right way round tho (as forge / the laws of physics say it should be) rather than the standard (wrong IMO) way...

Car does boost well... bang on 9psi in third on hills (and stablises very quickly) .. 7ish with less load and 5psi when driving normally (although I tend to drive without any boost atall most of the time.. got 280 miles / 30+ mpg from the last tank woohoo!)

Cheers,

Adam.

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
i am having exactly the same problem mate, has been happening since i got the car 6 months ago and i still don't have any answers. can be so annoying at times. only difference is mine drops from 18psi, down to about 8 or 9 then back up again.

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
mine was doing it even after i had a brand new 007 DV fitted. i'm still contemplating taking the n249 off?!

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
i tried a new 007 and a new dv30 and it dnt do s**t because i was haveing the same problem for ages n ages................n249 bypass

thats what u wanna do its sorted me right out not a problem now trust me do it

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
trust me m8 it will sort you right out did me,,,,,,,,,,,,,pound for pound best mod ive done..it works 100%

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
good news! gonna 100% do it this weekend :D i'm preying it sorts my pronlem out :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members