1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

N249 mechanical malfunction

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Cowie, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Cowie

After putting new forge TIP in on friday have been getting a fault code thrown up - N249 mechanical malfunction,thing is I've done the bypass so any ideas what it could be:shrug:

2. techie

techie Skoda Techie

Its usually because it is bypassed, its trying to operate the DV but knows it can't.

3. Cowie

Have never had this fault code before though mate and have had the bypass done probably over 6 months ago,has just come since i replaced the TIP

4. DannyC87

DannyC87 Rubbing is Racing :-)

I wouldn't worry about it; if it is bypassed it can't be doing anything bad! It is still electrically connected yes? Try cleaning the connection.

5. Cowie

Right just been on a 2 hr either way trip to harrogate,the car feels like it has no boost at all,before i set off i reset everything with vag-com,when i returned i had the 17508- boost valve mechanical malfunction code again. Like i said i have done the N249 bypass and this fault code has only come up since friday when i put a forge TIP on.One thing i noticed was that my fuel consumtion actually went up by about 7-8 mpg.Is it likely to be a boost leak or anyone any other ideas,can't get a log run done for a day or two,thoughts anyone?

6. DannyC87

Have you checked all the connection around the TIP? DV? N75? vacuum hose from DV to inlet mani? If one of these has been dislodged it will throw up an error code like that and put you in limp mode (no boost).

7. Cowie

yea mate checked them all:shrug::(

8. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Sticking DV? Serviced it recently?

9. Cowie

yea checked that too mate,tested it and is holding the vacuum fine

10. DannyC87

How have you done the bypass? Have you used a new hose straight from one of the vacuum take off points on the inlet mani to the dv?

11. Cowie

The bypass was done exactly as posted on here mate,its been fine for 6 months or so

12. DannyC87

okay; the reason I ask is that the fault code you are getting suggest the DV is not functioning properly. As the DV is controlled directly by this vacuum pipe it is this that is most likely at fault. If you detach the vacuum hose from the inlet manifold end and blow down it you can be certain there are no leaks in this part of the system.

13. Cowie

ok mate will try that,but had a look around all that area and all seemed ok

14. DannyC87

very strange; might be worth a visit to a stealer?

15. Cowie

yeah,well i'll give it a real good look over tomorrow and hopefully is something small that i've missed first time around,cheers for the help Danny.