N249 valve fault and fluttering noise!

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Hi guys

Im getting fault code 17608 which after a few searches tells me it relates to the N249 valve. Can this be fixed without doing a bypass? If so how?

And ive also got a 'fluttering'/'chattering' sound when i let off the throttle. I take it this is related to the fault code? Also it doesnt seem to do it as bad when i gve it a bootfull.

Any help would be muchly appreciated please! :)

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
That's what I thought but the springs been in for months! Could the dv need cleaning maybe?

And would that cause the above fault code?

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Hmmm, will take it off tomorrow and give it a clean then make sure I don't do it up too tight.

If that works should I then just clear the code and see if it comes back? Is that how it works? Sorry, new to all this fault malarky!!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Sorry I didn't explain that very well, I don't mean do the 2 halfs of the valve up to tight I mean mine has adjustable pressure on the piston and it does it if I put to much tension on it.

I think that fault code is N249 malfunction? Its the N249 that controls the vacum to the DV so controls when to open it?

Maybe its buggered and not opening the valve properly?

You could try bypassing the N249 and see if that fixes it?

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Ahh right, I wondered what you meant about doing it up too tight, thought it seemed a bit strange! Haha

I've not got any hose or anything to do the bypass this weekend. Will driving cause any damage do you think?

Any idea on the price or part number for the n249 valve? Might see if tps have one in stock. Also, is this the valves proper name as I'm sure I've seen them called something else?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
Hmmm, will take it off tomorrow and give it a clean then make sure I don't do it up too tight.

If that works should I then just clear the code and see if it comes back? Is that how it works? Sorry, new to all this fault malarky!!

check the vac hose on the dv nipple is tight and where it goes back into the system mate, this will cause chatter if its loose or off

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yeah the vac hose that comes form top of dv back into system.. if i take this off and drive i get chatter noise, like a cossie kind of sound. thats the air being atmospherically dumped.

you got a forge dv?

either that or the rubber o ring in the dv could be worn and needing serviced

i have fully licensed vagcom mate if you need it

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Feels a bit hesitant I think but once it gets going it seems ok. The more revs I give it, the less of a noise it makes!! Or maybe that's just my imagination!?!

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
maybe the dv needs servicing then mate.... give forge a pm they will sort you out with a dv servicing kit... i got one from them on gratis

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
check the vac hose on the dv nipple is tight and where it goes back into the system mate, this will cause chatter if its loose or off

Hit the nail on the head James! :)
The hose had split right at the end where it connects to the dv. Ive managed to cut the end off and reconnect it but ideally i will need to replace it.

Anyway, problem solved for now, thanks for the replies Adam and James. :)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
yeah the vac hose that comes form top of dv back into system.. if i take this off and drive i get chatter noise, like a cossie kind of sound. thats the air being atmospherically dumped.

you got a forge dv?

either that or the rubber o ring in the dv could be worn and needing serviced

i have fully licensed vagcom mate if you need it

I have just been mucking around with mine and tried it with that little pipe from the N249 off and got the wastegate chatter as well! sounds quality, but I'm guessing its no good for the car?

Is it normal for the pipe to the N249 to be constantly sucking as well? just sat on tickover and there was quite a suction being generated somewhere!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.