N80 Purge Valve location?

May 23, 2020
Not really...I think the best/easiest way would be to take the whole air housing out by just pulling it upwards. If you do this just remember to free the hose that goes to the valve from the back of the housing.

I did not do it this way. I first released the short hose from the right side(as looking from outside and above the engine) of the air housing, un-clipped the connector from the valve and afterwards removing the long part of the hose.

May 23, 2020
Hi

Any idea how you remove the housing? I can unclip the hose running round the back but can I just pull the whole air filter housing upward?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Mine started to fail again after about 7 years...
ordered the Topran one because it was just 12€, one third of the Bosch one, anyone tried this one?

Topran 115 961

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Looks good, possibly its other brand rebranded

It was just 12€

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023
Did it fix your problem again, ive got the exact same problem, hesitant start at first but then once the engine is warm is starts straight away, starter motor, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, ignition coils all been changed, it is worth trying the valve?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Did it fix your problem again, ive got the exact same problem, hesitant start at first but then once the engine is warm is starts straight away, starter motor, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, ignition coils all been changed, it is worth trying the valve?
Have you checked what the engine coolant temperature sensor think the temperature is?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013

Yes so far it did

Which engine do you have? If it is the 1.4 16v its worth to try.
Does the problem go away or reduce in the winter or when parked under a shade?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023
Yes so far it did

Which engine do you have? If it is the 1.4 16v its worth to try.
Does the problem go away or reduce in the winter or when parked under a shade?
its a 1.4 16v, i havent seen a pattern yet as you guys were discussing earlier in the thread, everytime i start it, no matter the weather it always struggles but it does eventually crank over, some days i'll get lucky and it will start straight away but id say it has a 3/10 chance starting straight away. Once the engine has been turned over though upon restarting it will always start instantly.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
its a 1.4 16v, i havent seen a pattern yet as you guys were discussing earlier in the thread, everytime i start it, no matter the weather it always struggles but it does eventually crank over, some days i'll get lucky and it will start straight away but id say it has a 3/10 chance starting straight away. Once the engine has been turned over though upon restarting it will always start instantly.
If it is then I would try to change the valve...
You can remove it and do this simple test:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
not that i can feel

if you put your finger on the other side and close it is the same resistance as if you dont? no air should pass at all

if the valve is always stuck closed its not a problem for starting (as far as I am aware) but there is always the possibility that it could be stuck open just sometimes...

your symptoms of starting fine after starting once are the same I experience when I have problems with the valve, but the fact that air doesnt pass through narrows chances of being the problem, if you changed stuff that is much more expensive maybe its worth a try because its cheap...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023
if you put your finger on the other side and close it is the same resistance as if you dont? no air should pass at all

if the valve is always stuck closed its not a problem for starting (as far as I am aware) but there is always the possibility that it could be stuck open just sometimes...

your symptoms of starting fine after starting once are the same I experience when I have problems with the valve, but the fact that air doesnt pass through narrows chances of being the problem, if you changed stuff that is much more expensive maybe its worth a try because its cheap...
i think i’ll just replace it anyway, for peace of mind even if there is a slim chance it will fix the problem, also will it be okay to get one of a breaker or is it something i should definitely get brand new

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
i think i’ll just replace it anyway, for peace of mind even if there is a slim chance it will fix the problem, also will it be okay to get one of a breaker or is it something i should definitely get brand new

when it starts, if you immediatly shut if off it will start fine? or does it need to be warm, if it needs to be warm to start fine should be something else...

since it is a part that fails a lot I would prefer to buy new

Jul 24, 2023
when it starts, if you immediatly shut if off it will start fine? or does it need to be warm, if it needs to be warm to start fine should be something else...
it does not need to be warm, as soon as it cranks over that first time, if i shut it off immediately and turn it back on it will start instantly