Narrowband to Wideband 1.8T ECU Conversion

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Looking to change my narrowband ECU to a wideband one. Did a fair bit of research towards it today - can't see any reasons against it. Possible coding difficulties with different components?

I've searched for a list of 1.8t engine codes which have wideband ECU's however haven't come up with anything :(

The only one I have from my own knowledge is the BAM (Audi TT) engine

I would like to get a list together as I think this could be very helpful to people looking to do this sort of coversion in the future. There are a fair few guides on the net which explain how to do the conversion.

Cheers

Joe

Last edited:

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
There was a good thread a while back on the TT Forum showing a guy who changed from a narrow band, non vvt ecu to a wideband ecu. Its deffo been done, but he kept with the non vvt and would have gone for the vvt tensioner too.

You would have to get the immobiliser defeated on the ecu then it will work fine. I have run a few track and race cars without a dash and ive converted a TT from the early non vvt narrowband ecu to the later BAM vvt and wideband ecu buy changing the full engine wiring loom to the newer type.

mush

Ive done this conversion on my previously APY engined S3. I added so i could benefit from wideband lambda, VVT and EGT.

I wasnt going to add VVT but i was informed the adaption wouldnt take place so i just swapped the tensioner out aswell, just to be sure.

Even easier way is to simply get a hold of a later loom and change it all over, doesnt take long and theres no soldering/head scratching.

Because ive got an S3 i ideally wanted a BAM ecu and looms but at the time i couldnt get a hold of the engine compartment loom so i just converted mine for wideband and EGT, and used a BAM engine loom. I used an AUQ ECU as thats ME7.5, same as AMK/BAM so will map up just the same, plus i can get the EGT probe coded in again when mapping.

Last edited by a moderator:

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Ive done this conversion on my previously APY engined S3. I added so i could benefit from wideband lambda, VVT and EGT.

I wasnt going to add VVT but i was informed the adaption wouldnt take place so i just swapped the tensioner out aswell, just to be sure.

Even easier way is to simply get a hold of a later loom and change it all over, doesnt take long and theres no soldering/head scratching.

Because ive got an S3 i ideally wanted a BAM ecu and looms but at the time i couldnt get a hold of the engine compartment loom so i just converted mine for wideband and EGT, and used a BAM engine loom. I used an AUQ ECU as thats ME7.5, same as AMK/BAM so will map up just the same, plus i can get the EGT probe coded in again when mapping.

Hi Mush,

Getting a little confused here, you say you couldn't get hold of a BAM engine loom but then you said you used a BAM engine loom??

Basically all I need the ECU for is wideband functionality because of the mapping difficulties. I have EGT on another datalogging system as well as boost so I will run open loop and monitor boost and EGT's myself, no problem there.

My main question is can I leave my existing looms, plug in a AUM ECU (wideband one confirmed) and manually wire in a wideband probe into the correct ECU pins (I have a pin out guide for this above). Will the clocks and everything inside the cabin work the same?

Cheers

Joe

Last edited:

mush

Hi Mush,

Getting a little confused here, you say you couldn't get hold of a BAM engine loom but then you said you used a BAM engine loom??

Basically all I need the ECU for is wideband functionality because of the mapping difficulties. I have EGT on another datalogging system as well as boost so I will run open loom and monitor boost and EGT's myself, no problem there.

My main question is can I leave my existing looms, plug in a AUM ECU (wideband one confirmed) and manually wire in a wideband probe into the correct ECU pins (I have a pin out guide for this above). Will the clocks and everything inside the cabin work the same?

Cheers

Joe

I couldnt get hold of all of them all at the time bud, the ecu and looms that is. I had to convert the compartment loom but i then got a hold of a BAM engine loom off ebay. So ive now got APY converted compartment loom, BAM engine loom, AUQ ECU

Cant see why you couldnt just convert your loom as it mentions in the link you posted. And then fit the AUM ecu (decoded obv). Shouldnt affect your clock or anything mate.

Nick

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
I couldnt get hold of all of them all at the time bud, the ecu and looms that is. I had to convert the compartment loom but i then got a hold of a BAM engine loom off ebay. So ive now got APY converted compartment loom, BAM engine loom, AUQ ECU

Cant see why you couldnt just convert your loom as it mentions in the link you posted. And then fit the AUM ecu (decoded obv). Shouldnt affect your clock or anything mate.

Nick

Nice one Nick,

What did you do with the APY converted compartment loom then? Is that the one for the cabin inside the car? Would I need to do the same?

Sounds like I might be one of the first Ibiza owners to do the conversion then....

Well up for giving it a shot, as I say I really only need it to make it easier for Wak to map it, he said that he could defeat the immobiliser no problem.

If the wideband EGT and VVT are the only different things with the two looms then I'm sure after resitoring out the VVT and adding the wideband it should be the same.

Joe

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Right - looks like I'm going ahead with this, just ordered AUM ECU.

Looms I will be converting my existing ones as per the guide above. Quite enjoy soldering stuff anyway :D

I shouldn't have a problem with clocks as I believe that is in relation to the immobiliser which will be defeated anyway.

Next on the list is a VW wideband harness and Bosch wideband probe - any ideas which probe one to go for?

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
My AUM ECU just arrived today, going to crack on with the conversion soonish. I should be able to run the wideband ECU with my current set up as it's also mapped to 180bhp, same as my standard one. Saves me doing the build and finding something doesn't work later on. I'll post pics as I go.

L.R.C.

May 21, 2007
any news from the swap?

i am looking into converting mine to wideband also, so i can run mafless

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Yes, it's all working now. I didn't manage to do it myself - Wak and Morgan did it for me just before they mapped it. Not sure what they did but I know it's not a simple swap and there's no guides on the net which relate to the Ibiza's set up :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members