National mileage register

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Hi guys, on this new car I'm buying I did an hpi check on it and it flagged up a couple of things, one was finance owing and the other was a discrepancy with the mileage. Now Ibe had it confirmed that the finance is clear but in the rac check for the mileage it has 2010 58k then goes down to 40k then there's no entries for 4 years on the nmr. The next entry is 80000in 2014 but this ties in with the missing service history as it's around the same period

I know the nmr isn't always reliable as it relies on the data to be entered by people.
What do you think?

Last edited:

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Also the garage says they supply an hpi certificate with every car. If it turns out it's been clocked for example do you have any comebacks on the dealer?

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Yeah that's what I thought especially as it's an exact number.
I mean it works out it's been averaging about 12 a year so seems ok.
Cheers

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Yeah that was another odd one but virtually impossible. I've been having a good read from google about the nmr and it's a false. So many inconsistencies

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Well ive just gone through the mot history on the government website and it all seems to tally up. Seems they've just put a new mot on it aswell since I put a deposit down. Can dealers put a new mot on before 1 month from the expiry date as it was motd in march anyway?

It did fail early this year though

Last edited:

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I reckon it might have had a slight shave at some point. That drop from 58k to 40k in June 2010 looks suspicious to me. The car would have been 3 years old then and if it was originally sold on some kind of lease/ PCP then they'd have been a mileage restriction imposed, so it might have been clocked to get round it.

If the 40k is a typo then that would mean its only done 28k in the last 4 years, which seems a bit low...

I've seen your other thread with the link to the car and personally I'd walk. The airbag light sounded worrying too.

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
I reckon it might have had a slight shave at some point. That drop from 58k to 40k in June 2010 looks suspicious to me. The car would have been 3 years old then and if it was originally sold on some kind of lease/ PCP then they'd have been a mileage restriction imposed, so it might have been clocked to get round it.

If the 40k is a typo then that would mean its only done 28k in the last 4 years, which seems a bit low...

I've seen your other thread with the link to the car and personally I'd walk. The airbag light sounded worrying too.

That's 7k a year i only do 8k a year so not a big worry really. Would the nmr get updated when it has an mot?
I think I did the airbag when I yanked the seat back to check the interior.

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East

Ive not actually seen you say a good thing about this car on either of your threads, if its not too late you need to bail on this one.

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
If you look at the 2/3/10 it's on 54k. The next mot records it at 58k on 10/8/10 so if it had been clocked in june as the nmr suggests then they would have had to do 18k in 3 months

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Yeah but il lose the deposit if I walk I know it's only 200 quid but still money I could do without losing. All used cars have some issues and there's nothing really major. Yes some of the history is missing but you can tell if a cars been ragged by looking over it thoroughly

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Would the seat belt light go on and off when it's started. It must have been fixed as they put a new mot on it after I'd left. I love the car it's obviously been looked after

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Also If you look at the mot on 27/3/14 the mileage is on 84644 which is 2k more then whats been recorded on the nmr a month later so it's obviously wrong information being put in. The 86000 is nearly a month later on the 17th april so that's about 1300 miles in a month but it's not in gospel. The fact someone had put a round figure shows its just been put in as a rough figure

Just seen this on a bmw forum

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20204

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Don't get carried away with it, there's plenty more out there in better condition than that one. If it's looked after so much then why did it take 3 attempts to get an MOT this year?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.