National mileage register

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Yeah well hes offering the standard 3 months, won't give a refund as he said if he done it all the time then people would just keep doing it which I agree to a point I suppose. He's found another service receipt for 2012 so it's just 11 and 13 that's missing. I do understand about checking pads and stuff but to be fair some people don't know what they are looking at. My misses can't even change the windscreen washer and wouldn't know what a pad was lol but she always looks after the car and gets it serviced on time. I rang seat at Northampton and have confirmed the mileage upto 52000 and was confirmed they did 5 services on it but unfortunately can't confirm if the cambelt has been done, he said its irrelevant anyway as it should have had another by now but I thought it was every 4 years or 60k. How much is the cambelt? The cars been mot'd again.
Do you think 4995 as cheap? Can't find hardly any on autotrader and any others Ive seen have been very expensive. It drove spot on to be fair.Dsg box felt fine. If the belt went and wrecked the engine would the garage have to cover the cost of that?

I don't get the dealers point about the refund, what does he mean everyone would do it??

If he sells shite cars then people will always ask for a refund

Just buy it ffs, I am sick of you going on about it lol.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The car was still on the dealers website this morning. Is he still taking 'non refundable' deposits on it from other people? Nice easy cash for nowt. You have questions about this car all along, now there is doubt about the cambelt. If its not been changed as per SEAT's spec and it fails, then YOU are in the poo. The warranty (any warranty) will be invalid as the vehicle won't have been serviced as per SEAT instructions.
Run away. Run away now. There are plenty of other Leon's out there.
And regarding MOT's and your missus 'looking' after car, there is a difference between a car that looks all nice and shiny and one that's mechanically sound. My GF had a very nice 106 when we first met, nice white and shiny. However...... There was virtually no oil in it, she's put antifreeze in the washer bottle, the tyres were shot, the exhaust blowing.
I do the checks on the cars now.......

Last edited:

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Oh I agree but failing a mot twice doesn't make it mechanically unsound. Il query that about the warranty tomorrow because if that's the case then he's basically selling a car with a warranty which is invalid straight away then?

On the deposit he said I do understand but what would be the point of a deposit if everyone takes them back. I guess he's saying that the deposit is to take it off the market and he's basically losing any other potential sales until it's gone.
It's not uncommon for dealers to do this so it's not exactly a shock

There's one way to find out ring up and see if he will take a holding deposit lol.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Oh I agree but failing a mot twice doesn't make it mechanically unsound. Il query that about the warranty tomorrow because if that's the case then he's basically selling a car with a warranty which is invalid straight away then?

On the deposit he said I do understand but what would be the point of a deposit if everyone takes them back. I guess he's saying that the deposit is to take it off the market and he's basically losing any other potential sales until it's gone.
It's not uncommon for dealers to do this so it's not exactly a shock

That's what I mean. He's had your deposit as an indication of your intention to buy the car. Yet it's still (or was) advertised as 'for sale' on the website. So any one else could, theoretically, be invited to shell out £200 as a 'non refundable' deposit.
In addition I would argue that the issues with the vehicle negate any contract you entered into with regard to the vehicle, and therefore your deposit is refundable.
Its your choice really. Your cash, your risk. You may go ahead, and all (I hope) will be fine. Or, it could all end in tears. You've asked for advice, most on here have recommended walking away.
Over to you really isn't it?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Avoid, too many unanswered discrepancies. Look at it this way, if you dont buy it another one will come along that will be without all the issues and it will be worth the wait. but commit to this one and get it wrong you'll regret it and going back from it will be far worse than any wait with the added financial risk. You know deep down it doesnt feel right otherwise you wouldnt have posted this thread hoping someone will convince you its a safe buy. I think you are more in love with the thought of getting the car than the car itself and thats the wrong reason to buy

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Hmm maybe. I've just emailed the dealer to say about the warranty and that I think the reason for the failure to refund isn't good enough. I mean main dealers do it so whats the difference like you say unless it's a regular occurrence it shouldn't be an issue. Not much I can do if he says no apart from get the heavies in lmao

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
See his argument was that I knew about the cambelt when I put the deposit down but I wasn't aware at that point of the disceprency in the mileage. He's arguing that it's just a typo on the nmr and that all the mot's tally up correctly.
But if the warranty is invalid anyway he's selling it falsely. Also he says the car is experian credit checked but the car is still showing as finance owed which would surely show on the experian credit one would it not?
I very much doubt he's going to produce one with finance showing so what's the credit check hes actually producing?

Also the payment I made was on a credit card won't I have some sort of cover

I've taken a Screenshot of the car still for sale today and recorded the date. I can do a chargeback on my credit card apparently as long as ive got proof. Well the point of a holding deposit is to take it off sale and he obviously hasn't. Il see what response I get tomorrow first

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
look up the sale of goods act and see if there is anything in it that can assist you. Also consider if anything that he has said to get you to make deposit has been misrepresented to gain money. If so you may be able to look at some sort of fraud by misrepresentation. If he has nothing to hide he wont mind the threat of trading standards paying him a visit or the police should there be deemes a fraud. Be careful tho as you should never make an empty threat as it always backfires when they call your bluff. You could always check with trading standards for previous reports and draw his attention to them

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Well il see what he says tomorrow first. Would rather it didn't get to that stage lol
Also the car is still showing as finance on it so surely it shouldn't have been for sale until the payment had cleared?

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Well il see what he says tomorrow first. Would rather it didn't get to that stage lol
Also the car is still showing as finance on it so surely it shouldn't have been for sale until the payment had cleared?
Exactly. Use that as an excuse for refund

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Mate seriously. Either listen to our views or don't.

Most people who have commented say leave it and source another.

You will lose £200, not the end of the world. Cambelt will cost you £350ish anyway and that'll need doing straight away.

Find an approved used one from a seat dealer and get a one year warranty with it then at least you know you won't have to fork out for repairs for at least a year.

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Listen if it was just a case of changing my mind then fine but the fact that there is a discrepancy on the mileage whether it's right or wrong puts doubt on it therefore it's a valid reason to ask for a refund.

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
If deposit was paid on credit card ring them and let them sort it. Explain the mileage discrepancy, tell them you've given him chance to refund and he's refused. Tell them about the lack of complete service history, if they ask if you knew, admit you did but explain the full extent to which it was lacking wasn't clear. Tell them about the outstanding finance issue.

I understand him not wanting to refund the deposit but to me he hasn't been clear about this cars history. As soon as credit card company is involved you will get your money back, he won't want the hassle.

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Just having a look on some sites and can't seem to find one 2.0 fr dsg for sale at a decent price. Think I may have to look at something else.

class2ldn

Jul 7, 2014
sussex
Yeah I suppose but the missing service history may have been reflected in the price. He's basically saying that because I've changed my mind I lose my deposit, but I've changed my mind based on the hpi report and who wouldn't with the mileage discrepancy?

He's also saying the warranty issue is for main dealer warranties not ones done by a private car dealer, I would have thought that if a main part fails and there's no service history to say it's been looked after or replaced then they would tell you to jog on as they will say there's no evidence of the car being maintained to the recommended standards

Last edited:

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Yeah I suppose but the missing service history may have been reflected in the price. He's basically saying that because I've changed my mind I lose my deposit, but I've changed my mind based on the hpi report and who wouldn't with the mileage discrepancy?

He's also saying the warranty issue is for main dealer warranties not ones done by a private car dealer, I would have thought that if a main part fails and there's no service history to say it's been looked after or replaced then they would tell you to jog on as they will say there's no evidence of the car being maintained to the recommended standards

Nifneifeojgoegjogrjitututitiyururuthfnfjfkfirutoeptitutitititutjt ):63)jrigjd

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.