Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
SEAT website now have 1410 available for download (6P0 units) and also 176 (High units).

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/map-updates.html

184 is the latest available since November. 1430 has also been available since November on the links posted above (both). These are on VW servers and Skoda. VW / Skoda / Seat files are all identical fully inter changeable - since they are the same files, byte by byte. On the high, Seat had been operating with a different old quarter update. 1410 not being 1430 is probably that as well !.

Refresher to the latest links

High / Plus 184 post 1874:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-94

Standard 1430 post 1897:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-95

Workaround for standard post 1898 on the same page... follow link (Use the latest file instead of the one shown in step 1, 1430 at this present time)

See post 1809 / 1810

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-91

High can you upgrade your Plus / High unit with new maps ? post 1914

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-96

----

Suspect the company or companies that put together these files for VAG from TomTom (standard) and Here Maps (high) do this process quarterly but Seat choose to use quarters which are older than VW / Skoda at the minute to be different. Last Seat high one (176) came with an intriguing internal Excel sheet that spilled the beans on the process. The author of the sheet was the company that does the work :). Titled "EB_Statistics_P172_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1.18_vs_T176_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q3.18.xls" author EB Automotive GmbH.

Touch of Seat shambles going on here putting out files they should not. They should rationalise their software development back to VW. 176 is ancient, quarter unreleased one before June 2019 which was 177. It's that one they released with the authors internal validation sheet in it where you could read which company put together the release for VAG group. Intrigued as to what all those Ateca Cupra's have on their cars in the UK that they can't update ;). Probably that one.

You need Mapcare or a retrofit high with an element of Mapcare enabled for the upgrade to use those files for the update period. For the standard an original SD card that is installed with Mapcare or the use of the workaround with a working installed navigation card.

In relation to SXwell the previous registered keeper of the car might have had a card in it which the unit is registered to but sold it on via eBay to make a buck. Once a standard unit has had a card in it for the first time, it marries the card's CID to the unit and no other card will then work with it until it's unpaired via ODIS. Hence why I said you might need to explore the options. On the thread other people have subsequently taken their own bought standard eBay cards and paid for a dealer to subsequently install when they found they were stuck. You need a dealer that will do this if you find the unit rejects it. Those cards are sold independently for people with Mapcare who can do it that way rather than download onto their existing card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilkesy
Jan 22, 2020
I'd ask them the price. 1030 version is a common one installed which has a 6P.... part number. As long as it's mib2 standard thereafter once installed you can upgrade.

You can always buy the latest v11 card and if it doesn't install present to the dealer to install. Do a price check, supplied by them and installed, supplied by you and them to install or if it's never had a map card in it may install assuming it's a fully pledged mib2 standard. The 6p number on the card is the one it shows on the info screen once installed. What the V11 looks like, image attached. I'd enquire then review your options.

That's really helpful, thank you! I'll take it in and see what they say, cheers!

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020

Tell

Staff member
I saw the bat-signal :yes:
and.... there's more than just clocks on that github :yes:
Without needing to read through 100 pages of this topic.. what's the question?

Congratulations on your first post ;). It was in relation to post 1982. I was alluding to the routines for mib2 high are on github including yours :). Has anyone produced a toolkit on github that writes those SWAP / FEC stuff. I was approached by a European once on here that sent me a PM about meeting up thinking I lived in Trier. So I have deduced there are self help groups that operate in Germany twigging MIB2 highs. Would that be correct ?. Not that I want that in Germany. We know retro-fitters do this. Just looking at options in case they all go back to E Europe after Brexit :). That was my musing post that cited your name... yes and I know you come from the low countries.:yes:

My Mapcare fix on a high was to get my unit turned into a retrofit by having those codes adjusted since Seat hasn't moved to scrapping Mapcare whilst VW and Skoda have. It's not even offered in the UK.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
So I have deduced there are self help groups that operate in Germany twigging MIB2 highs. Would that be correct ?.

Yes indeed, in Germany and the Netherlands. Enthousiasts everywhere, but there are also a lot of people making a BIG profit of stuff like this.

Has anyone produced a toolkit on github that writes those SWAP / FEC stuff

Changing FEC containers isn't that hard to do (there's an export/import for FEC containers in my toolkit). However.. the main issue is with the signature on the FEC container. You need private keys to generate those (or some other way to make the unit think the signature is correct).

edit: now you got me thinking, and maybe I have an idea!

Reactions: Tell and Walone

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
184 is the latest available since November. 1430 has also been available since November on the links posted above (both). These are on VW servers and Skoda. VW / Skoda / Seat files are all identical fully inter changeable - since they are the same files, byte by byte. On the high, Seat had been operating with a different old quarter update. 1410 not being 1430 is probably that as well !.

Refresher to the latest links

High / Plus 184 post 1874:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-94

Standard 1430 post 1897:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-95

Workaround for standard post 1898 on the same page... follow link

See post 1809 / 1810

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-91

High can you upgrade your Plus / High unit with new maps ? post 1914

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-96

----

Suspect the company or companies that put together these files for VAG from TomTom (standard) and Here Maps (high) do this process quarterly but Seat choose to use quarters which are older than VW / Skoda at the minute to be different. Last Seat high one (176) came with an intriguing internal Excel sheet that spilled the beans on the process. The author of the sheet was the company that does the work :). Titled "EB_Statistics_P172_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1.18_vs_T176_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q3.18.xls" author EB Automotive GmbH.

Touch of Seat shambles going on here putting out files they should not. They should rationalise their software development back to VW. 176 is ancient, quarter unreleased one before June 2019 which was 177. It's that one they released with the authors internal validation sheet in it where you could read which company put together the release for VAG group. Intrigued as to what all those Ateca Cupra's have on their cars in the UK that they can't update ;). Probably that one.

You need Mapcare or a retrofit high with an element of Mapcare enabled for the upgrade to use those files for the update period. For the standard an original SD card that is installed with Mapcare or the use of the workaround with a working installed navigation card.

In relation to SXwell the previous registered keeper of the car might have had a card in it which the unit is registered to but sold it on via eBay to make a buck. Once a standard unit has had a card in it for the first time, it marries the card's CID to the unit and no other card will then work with it until it's unpaired via ODIS. Hence why I said you might need to explore the options. On the thread other people have subsequently taken their own bought standard eBay cards and paid for a dealer to subsequently install when they found they were stuck. You need a dealer that will do this if you find the unit rejects it. Those cards are sold independently for people with Mapcare who can do it that way rather than download onto their existing card.
Hi what’s the difference between the high 184 and standard 1430? I have a seat Leon 2016 is this can answer anything, making the update is right for my car? I am going to have a crack at updating my MIB which is 6P over the weekend.

I would be using a MacBook too if there’s any further implications

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thanks for getting back to me. In the glovebox I have a box with 2 SD card slots and what I think is a CD slot. As far as I'm aware, I don't think it's ever had an SD card married with it, because I think it was an optional extra that the first owner before me didn't choose.
I was tempted to buy a card just to see if it would work, but I wouldn't have a clue which card to buy, since there seems to be many different versions.
Failing that, I'll just take it to a Seat dealer haha.
Are you sure that your unit is not a Nav High unit which does not use a SD card for the maps, what does it say when you press the Nav button?

Tell

Staff member
Hi what’s the difference between the high 184 and standard 1430? I have a seat Leon 2016 is this can answer anything, making the update is right for my car? I am going to have a crack at updating my MIB which is 6P over the weekend.

I would be using a MacBook too if there’s any further implications

If your card in the unit says 6P on it or the standard test has 6P on it, its a mib2 standard and 1430 is the update. The test from the Seat site:

Press the “NAV” Button > Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.

Check the first text line in "Version information". If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0". If not, your system is the "Navi System Plus".

& if it has 5F it's a mib1 standard.

Post 1810 covers MacBook things you have to do which is the VW text plus some Skoda user site info. I dont use Mac. Others here do and don't have an issue if they ensure they take appropriate steps. Mac OS generates additionsl hidden data which the unit will trip up on if its not deleted or cleaned before copying the data to the SD card. That's Keka” unzipping program and using the “CleanMyDrive" - the VW suggested method or the one below in 1810.

Remember to take a copy of the card before you start.

----

(In functionality terms the high / plus stores the maps on an SSD in the unit, doesn't use a map SD to run off, uses Here Maps cartography, the standard uses an SD card in the unit to hold the maps, TomTom cartography. They have a similar look and feel, directions leading into a roundabout and out before entering isn't so well execute on the standard as the high, high shows you the exit before entering, the standard just tells you to enter - left panel of the screen if enabled, next turn). The high you can amend a route by dragging the route, standard you can't. Standard you can update the maps yourself via the workaround on a mib2 high / plus, the high you have to obey Mapcare parameters set in the unit. Can be frigged in retrofit. The high is faster in use and has 10gb free to put extra music on the SSD and two free SD slots for this rather then one as the standard - other is taken up by the map card.)

Last edited:

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
If your card in the unit says 6P on it or the standard test has 6P on it, its a mib2 standard and 1430 is the update. The test from the Seat site:

Press the “NAV” Button > Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.

Check the first text line in "Version information". If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0". If not, your system is the "Navi System Plus".

& if it has 5F it's a mib1 standard.

Post 1810 covers MacBook things you have to do which is the VW text plus some Skoda user site info. I dont use Mac. Others here do and don't have an issue if they ensure they take appropriate steps. Mac OS generates additionsl hidden data which the unit will trip up on if its not deleted or cleaned before copying the data to the SD card. That's Keka” unzipping program and using the “CleanMyDrive" - the VW suggested method or the one below in 1810.

Remember to take a copy of the card before you start.

91A63148-CCBB-49F6-96DC-0AC6DA506D76.jpeg

Happy days, cheers

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Seat do it on the 6P map part number that Seats through up on the info test which is fine if it has a map card is in the slot. That card also says 6P on it for a Seat card, bottom line of the card. If a mib1 standard the test on a Seat generates 5F.

Last bit is if 5F mib1 standard as plus. Seat logic has the model year in it in their published test so don't mention 5F.

Their screen test is dependent on how the Seat map part number is pulled out of the common standard VAG software. 6P is Seats reserved code for mib2 standard. 5F if a VW for mib2 standard or a Seat mib1. Those codes can be read off the map file... people here edit them when VAG zoned the standard maps, but the all Europe release originally they left the part number for Seat as a VW 5F (fixed now in 1430). Good Seat people edited them to 6P. What some people do is finesse the update via the workaround to look like the old card although that's just cosmetic. Exciter of the workaround originally did it but at that stage it wasn't known whether you needed to do it. Technically you don't.

Tell

Staff member

Make sure you take a copy of the SD cards since you will need the overall.nds file. Once you delete the contents any pesky Mac issues will be the thing which will stop it being updated. The recommended unzip Mac program and CleanMydrive should be ok or that other method I posted up under it to clean out the stuff that a Mac generates. Get the original overall.nds file in place of the one on the update and all will be good. The SD card is locked to the unit with the original overall.nds file. People have been using this method since 2017 and now use it across VAG brands when Mapcare runs out on the standard mib2. Stick to fat32... The other mistake.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Make sure you take a copy of the SD cards since you will need the overall.nds file. Once you delete the contents any pesky Mac issues will be the thing which will stop it being updated. The recommended unzip Mac program and CleanMydrive should be ok or that other method I posted up under it to clean out the stuff that a Mac generates. Get the original overall.nds file in place of the one on the update and all will be good. The SD card is locked to the unit with the original overall.nds file. People have been using this method since 2017 and now use it across VAG brands when Mapcare runs out on the standard mib2. Stick to fat32... The other mistake.
Fook okay I’ll have a bash, could do with a video probably might even beyond my knowledge this

Tell

Staff member
Thinking that I don’t think my MacBook reads SD cards

Wonders of Mac a Google says

Does MacBook have SD card slot?

MacBook Pro models from 2016 and later don't have a built-in SD card slot. You can use a USB-C card reader, or a combination of a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB card reader. Mac mini (Mid 2010) doesn't support SDXC cards.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=MacBook+sd

Sounds easy enough, a capable and an SD card read.

BTW the procedure is easy. Common mistakes not backing up the card before deleting it or loosing what they copied across. Getting confused about directories and files. Reformating the card in something other than FAT32. Best to just delete what's on it than reformat, if not sure. Then the Mac issue. People borrow some elses PC laptop if they get stuck with the MAC procedure.

Last edited:

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Wonders of Mac a Google says

Does MacBook have SD card slot?

MacBook Pro models from 2016 and later don't have a built-in SD card slot. You can use a USB-C card reader, or a combination of a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB card reader. Mac mini (Mid 2010) doesn't support SDXC cards.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=MacBook+sd

Sounds easy enough, a capable and an SD card read.

BTW the procedure is easy. Common mistakes not backing up the card before deleting it or loosing what they copied across. Getting confused about directories and files. Reformating the card in something other than FAT32. Best to just delete what's on it than reformat, if not sure. Then the Mac issue. People borrow some elses PC laptop if they get stuck with the MAC procedure.
Yeh it has I was thinking of the min version with the old school phone haha...

Iv seen the guide with Windows so I’ll have a crack

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
At the risk of teaching more the knowledgeable people here how to suck eggs - here's the notes I made from earlier posts with some slight revision for use in the future:
  1. Download the latest uk map - http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1310_V11.7z
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to laptop
  6. copy and paste all contents to pc
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. edited the /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt so that PartNumber4 correctly has my own part number in it, that is I replaced PartNumber4 from PartNumber4="5F...." to PartNumber4="6P0919866AB"
  11. using windows file explorer, eject the sd card
  12. now i can safely remove the sd card from the laptop
  13. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  14. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  15. power on and go to navigation
@Tell going to be using these. Dragged and dropped my original into my desktop, confused about step 9, do I just replace the files on my current files with the ones iv downloaded, a like for like swap then edit the file when replaced to suit my version the part number 6P...... part??

cheers

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
@Tell going to be using these. Dragged and dropped my original into my desktop, confused about step 9, do I just replace the files on my current files with the ones iv downloaded, a like for like swap then edit the file when replaced to suit my version the part number 6P...... part??

cheers
Step one of the procedure you followed is not the latest map version (1430), you can download that here
http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Bedlam I'm just finding a wall to hit my head on .

Yes you always use the latest maps which is 1430 at the minute. Will be good till next June 2020 when there will be another update.

On 9. You have backed up your SD card. Now copy across the new files and folders, and then take the overall.nds file from your back up (original) and copy that onto the SD card replacing the latest one with your old one. You must use the old overall.nds file. That is step 9.

Ignore step 10 it isn't required. It's only for people who are preoccupied with making the card look like you haven't changed anything and you'd have to change something else for that as well which isn't listed. So forget that. The latest release gives a 6P part number in any case so will not lead to any future confusion if the car was passed on the mib1 / mib2 test.

You have to work into this the special Mac instructions which I added in the follow up post to that one, that I linked to above. CleanMyDisk and Keka or an alternative (Keka the unzip program). VW recommends those from the Mac store. They will remove Mac incompatible characters which needs to be taken out else the unit will see it and will fail to read the SD information correctly.

When people make a complete pigs ear and loose the original overall.nds I end up searching for the download that matched your original card to get it back. Since yours is pretty old, I might not find the link to the contents so copy out (backup the SD before you start) and don't loose it !. The overall.nds file is the critical file. The complete back if you ever decided you didn't like the update, unlikely.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise