Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
To be honest I’m not entirely sure I’m doing it correctly.

Calculated the correct decrypt HEX code and it was accepted, but that didn’t clear the code by itself just doing that.
I had to press the normal delete/trash can icon to clear the code (how you would normally clear a fault code). I did this straight after inputting the decrypt HEX code.

Code stayed away until I forced the unit to retstart with a long press/hold of the power button.
It then returned.

I cleared it again same way but not done a long reboot again as couldn’t be arsed with the hassle anymore, and as you have said it’s no big deal anyway.

I just wanted the car error free as it’s going in for its first year service in a few weeks and I’m going to try and get them to update the infotainment system to version 0515 and hope that will fix the intermittent working of CarPlay/full link that I have.
Occasionally my unit takes an age on startup to load maps, never known why, and when this happens if I connect my phone CarPlay/full link won’t connect.
I’ve learned to recognise and live with it but maybe a software update will help ?!?!
But I guess if they see I’ve been updating maps they will just say it’s my fault :(

Tell

Staff member
You do keep repeating the process, least on the high then they go. The standard I've not had the same success. I wouldn't worry about the error thou.

The start up being delayed may be if you have turned off the infotainment system by hand, pushing the button, next time in, switching back on by the button. The other way ignition off and not turning the unit off (open the driver door if you want silence), means at ignition it starts the boot up, so by the time you go to touch it, it's made a start on the boot up. Could be the variable. I generally never turn mine off on the button.

20 minute live period also comes into this after opening the door. Let you try that. That's how you do a map update in a retrofit high without the engine running by opening the door every 15 minutes :). Think you'll find if you are in and out of the car the long boot wont occur since it stays booted, that's why a forced reboot is put in if you want to reboot else you'd be waiting 20 minutes for that. Reckon that explains why you are waiting variable times.

The SVM error became apparent some months after the workaround was worked out.

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for the detailed Info.

To be honest I think my infotainment system has a mind of its own. It’s usually behaves itself for a few months, but every now and then it will start to play up until and needs a full factory reset, I’m at that stage now I think.

Was in the car yesterday and all working fine, maps loaded instantly on virtual cockpit. Did some errands and was in and out of car twice for 10 mins at a time, all good. Then popped into Tesco for about 5mins, unit decided to do full a full reboot on getting back into car, Virtual cockpit just said ‘loading navigation’ for a good few minutes, at which point I pressed button to switch maps to centre display and they loaded instantly on there.... but also they loaded up on the virtual cockpit at the same time, so I was driving along with maps active on both centre console and virtual cockpit.
Note: at no point during these trips did I turn the into off manually i just opened door, got out then locked it. Same getting back in.

Just an example of my quirky unit.
It’s a MY19 car with H50 and SW 0514.
Been like it since day one.

Anyway don’t want to derail this thread, I’m sure it’s nothing to do with the DIY map updates !!!!!

Tell

Staff member
Think you have one of the new WiFi standard units. Bog standard one on the Arona is fine :yes:. Feels like the software. The Arona one only played up once after uploading speed camera POIs, the image was displaced, did a reboot and it was fine.

Btw no sign of any new maps yet.

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
Hmm come to a road block with this. Put as card in my MacBook Pro this morning to update it again and managed to drag my original back off it and store just in case I run into problems. The old files came off fine but now my MacBook won’t read my sd card at all and tried to put it in my car again and says navigation database can not be found. Not sure how it won’t work now iv not edited anything on it.

many work around to get my MacBook to find it again to reformat it then put the newer files on

Tell

Staff member
Hmm come to a road block with this. Put as card in my MacBook Pro this morning to update it again and managed to drag my original back off it and store just in case I run into problems. The old files came off fine but now my MacBook won’t read my sd card at all and tried to put it in my car again and says navigation database can not be found. Not sure how it won’t work now iv not edited anything on it.

many work around to get my MacBook to find it again to reformat it then put the newer files on

I pass on how the MacBook works. I'm sure there is help about.

The June 2020 release isn't out yet.

Post 2075 covers getting a workable overall.nds file if you have now lost it.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-104

Universal solution if you delete the navigation SD card without taking a copy of the all important overall.nds file that's linked to your unit. Then follow down from lost and stolen cards, you got a card, just need v1 overall.nds file. Do the workaround but obey the Mac instructions to clear out the extraneous files that a Mac leaves on the card. Post 1810. 1430 is still the current release at the minute.

Could be the Mac rubbish on the card why it currents isn't being read. Try CleanMydrive on it as per the link before going to town in case it's that. Keka is the approved VW unzip software for the Mac. Others toggle stuff and use different software. But sticking to the VW recommendation can't go wrong with the workaround.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
I pass on how the MacBook works. I'm sure there is help about.

The June 2020 release isn't out yet.

Post 2075 covers getting a workable overall.nds file if you have now lost it.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-104

Universal solution if you delete the navigation SD card without taking a copy of the all important overall.nds file that's linked to your unit. Then follow down from lost and stolen cards, you got a card, just need v1 overall.nds file. Do the workaround but obey the Mac instructions to clear out the extraneous files that a Mac leaves on the card. Post 1810. 1430 is still the current release at the minute.

Could be the Mac rubbish on the card why it currents isn't being read. Try CleanMydrive on it as per the link before going to town in case it's that. Keka is the approved VW unzip software for the Mac. Others toggle stuff and use different software. But sticking to the VW recommendation can't go wrong with the workaround.
still got that file and read blank on my Mrs's macbook, so going to replace the overall.nds file on my macbook put everything on to her laptop then drag and drop on to the SD card that and hopefully work. Even wiping the SD from scratch should be fine? just as long as I have my overall.nds file everything should be okay?

And should the SD card name be NO_NAME
ps what file should it be to be viewed in the seat ? also do I just literally plug it straight back into my leon or turn ignation on then insert the card or turn system on put card then hold power button to reset then try nav system part.

Tell

Staff member
still got that file and read blank on my Mrs's macbook, so going to replace the overall.nds file on my macbook put everything on to her laptop then drag and drop on to the SD card that and hopefully work. Even wiping the SD from scratch should be fine? just as long as I have my overall.nds file everything should be okay?

& run the Mac utility CleanMydrive on the SD card. Mac's add extra characters into the files which are hidden to you but not to the QNX software the unit runs.

You edited a bit more in.... answers

No the SD card doesn't need a label.

You can put the card back in without the ignition turned on, works fine. Reboot of the unit is always good if you are changing map cards to force it to re-read the card. Long on / off hold with the card out tiĺl it reboot. Turn off, put card back in. Turn on. It will then read the card from scratch.

Last edited:

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
Sorted, still doesn’t read on my MacBook and works in the car now so not bothered. My port must be knackered.

better save that file somewhere safe at least it’s on the sd card safe and sound

Tell

Staff member

Tell

Staff member
Mib2 High / Plus June 2020 Release (2020-2021) (187) (All good for Mib1 High) - All Europe Release

Arrived tonight online don't download it if you don't have this unit !. No map card in the unit and you don't have a Plus unit just a standard unit that runs off a map card.

It's only for people with Seat "Mapcare" or retrofit units.

Download link all 25GB of it:

VW Servers

Skoda Servers (same file, probably slower server)

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P187_EU_202022.zip

Covers:

Albania*, Andorra, Austria, Belarus*, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina*,Bulgaria*, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Italy, Kosovo*, Latvia*, Liechtenstein, Lithuania*, Luxembourg, Malta, Macedonia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)*, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia*, Slovakia, Slovenia*, Spain, Ukraine*, Vatican City, United Kingdom

* in parts

It appeared on the VW map download site it's live but that's the direct link above.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

There is a linked post where I provided the FeCs so you can determine whether you are in the allowed upgrade period. Some retrofit people short change you of the FEC codes, suppose to give you unlimited map updates but carelessly cut you back for repeat business...

Post 1914

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-96

If you got Seat Mapcare you can fall off the end of the 3 year period. That's a check. If it's a brand new car with a Plus unit you might be able to upgrade within the first year. Haven't heard of anybody doing it thou.

Worked fine for me. No problems since my FeCs are fine :).

Attachments

• 20200616_190925.jpg
    20200616_190925.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reactions: Med and Walone

Tell

Staff member
Hmm isnt it the latest version - as i got it from
https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/leon.html

and then 13gb one (all Europe)

Nah... Seat drag their heals. Now if you wanted South America and Israel Seat is the only VAG company to off the November 2019 release. It's the place to go if you live in those parts :). (not sure why, probably a very good reason).

The November 2019 release download is this but that will be replaced shortly... probably a week or so:

& you use the workaround document across the thread but good link above (you must have done that).

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
This thread to look at and I always put them up on a clean thread on the Ateca site of the board. June and November. Seat as I said get them late. Only VW publish them to schedule at the minute. Skoda are dragging their heels at the minute so Skoda users at the minute turn to VW.

The link

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

The official way of doing it. Pick a VW car, like Tiguan, Discover Media is the Standard. Discover Pro is the Plus. We pick a Tiguan since they are all Mib2. To read what is available hover over the download button, read the bottom of the screen. The link is what you will get. You don't need to click it.

How I found the Plus release tonight - nobody else had found it then... but that doesn't last for long. Also I check the German Skoda community board which is very good on keeping all the old stuff like here so you can cross link back. Also "MartiniB" is good on the Skoda UK board (the guy who finds the unpublished server links) and those Russians :) Or just check here and the Ateca board stickies :). Sometimes the release is mounted on a server but the link is yet to be referenced those get found and published. That's when the community is ahead of the roll out. At the minute the VAG community is following the VW navigation publishing site. The server links have not been found yet ahead of the VW webpage link this time round. Skoda servers use to have them on earlier.

The two release weeks each year are conventionally CW25 and CW45. You put these in your calendar too repeat 12 monthly. :). German precision the high map was released bang on time on the first Monday of CW25 for 2020. Yesterday. As said normal form is the standard release is published two weeks later or so.

On the V7 question that's the Seat code of the card. Using the workaround method on the overall.nds you can use any mib2 standard card across the VAG group. The releases are suppose to be for where you have Mapcare. Better code is the four digit one which is common across VAG downloads, e.g. 1430 is the November 2019 standard one, that when used in a Vag car throws up a different part number for display purposes, doesn't have any other use than that. Those can be edited if you feel the need to match the card print with what's on the screen. Covered above. Seat V7 is a VW 9 release card from memory. I tend to do it by VW now. 1430 is a VW 12. We wait to see whether they are superstitious for the upcoming release.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
For those technically minded who want to try to clear the SVM errors after the workaround a more advanced workaround has been identified to get Non European maps into the European VAG infotainment standard units. Also works with getting European maps into North American VAG. I had pointed to the thread before and had success using the original posters method but for a bog standard Seat without map care you needed the mapcare "workaround". I had got Morroco and Israel maps to work in the unit this way. It was failing thou with Golfs and Tiguans. Palestine chap sorted it out and was document by Med who also asked me questions on here (Spanish car > Morroco) and Rosteven (US car > Europe). Shifted from this thread to T6Forum that had the original approach.

Anyhow, I'm wondering and I haven't tested it yet, whether the two additional steps might fix the recurring SVM error of the workaround which are love-inly used here :).

Post 29:

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/how...-in-non-eu-countries-e-g-morocco.10331/page-2

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

3. Erase everything on the card, (Before making a backup of what's on it).

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

Basically 7. is the Exciter workaround

8 and 9 are the two additional steps that some VAG heads required to make it work on out of zone maps. Was fine for the Arona, step 1- 7 was sufficient and only presenting the target country in 00 directory not editing and leaving the rest as is.

So what I'm wondering is if you did 8. and 9 from the original card as well as 7 in the map update would it work without generating the SVM error (the one you clear the conformation clear code method, Hex codes etc). Something for the winter months :) - those that are frustrated by the error could give it a go.

2 can be any Mib2 card. 1 obviously if you are not zone swapping is your local one. Probably Med will pop up and say he's got an SVM error even with this. Happy bunnies on the T6 Forum since they got their import cars to work with local maps.

Reactions: Slickric21 and Med

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I'll give this a go when i next update the maps.

Having a hard time deciphering step 8 though. I copy original OVERALL.NDS from “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS” but which folder do I place this into on the sdcard ?
It mentions "”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco)"
Which region therefor is correct for UK/Western Europe maps ???

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The European map 00 folder breaks out under Product into E1-E13 whilst the Morocco one is ME. What you'd have to do is do it on each region E1-E13 :). That's assuming you have the all European maps loaded on the original card.

So you would revert back to your original maps. Clear the error code if you can via OBDeleven confirm confirmation change / Hex stuff. If that works go onto mass copying of the original fragments that's point 8 across E1-E13. Do the rest and re-test.

Hmmm quite a bit of effort every six months if it worked or just do the workaround and live with the SVM error. I'd go for the simple approach and live with the error, but worth testing thou whether this is the route of that error or whether there is something else it doesn't like that triggers it. Runs fine with the error thou.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Okie Dokie.

I will give it a try and report back when the new maps land. I don't mind copying the extra files across, in reality it will take seconds to drag and drop them over.

Reactions: Tell
Jun 19, 2020
Stafford
Hi everyone,

I been trying to update my sat nav from past few days but can't find any last updates to my MIB1 (5F0...).
The last one what I could find it's from 06/2017.
I found some maps on this forum from 2019 but is for Skoda but I haven't try upload them to my car yet.

Do you know where I can download the latest maps for Mib1 ?
I tried find everywhere but I just give up now.

Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
Unless it's a retrofit / fiddled one you can't do it. Maps are available for November 2019 release but I dont publish them since UK people are stuck, no easy DIY solutions. Its an area of retrofiters minting it in.

The Mib1 standard download is this for November 2019 but as said not a lot you can do with it.... you must back up your SD card before deleting it as well as you will get in a pickle - that's happened. Was the holly grail of the thread for a bit and nobody cracked it as yet as a DIY activity.

If it's a mib1 high then use the mib2 high one which is common across high units. Again that's a retrofit fix for those units to give it that capability.

Only the Mib2 standard with the work around can be updated for Seat's unless you have Mapcare not sold in the UK or done in the one year grace period from purchase where Mapcare is available (dealers cover to sell cars with old maps on them). All other Seat units need to have retrofit work done on them for subsequent DIY map updates.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members