Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

exciter

Jan 16, 2017
Krypton
First I used Binwalk and joint the raw output data to get the database.
After this I used offzip, which directly outputs the file.

"The page-map begins at byte offset 200 into the ZIPVFS database file. The page-map contains an 8-byte entry for each page in the users database. The entry consists of the following elements, each stored as big-endian integers:

Offset of compressed page image in file. 5 bytes (40 bits). "

So i looked at OVERALL.NDS at offset 200 + 5Byte and got "00 00 00 02 5D 02 EB 80"
25D = 605dec.

Copy of data from offset=605dec. to end of file Overall.NDS copied to new one.
Thats what it get when i use binwalk -e -X FILE and manually join the output files to one file.
ht*tps://w*ww.dropbox.com/s/a7ekyb4hca3zioo/raw%20output.rar?dl=0

Dont now if its the right way??? Also output data is very small....dont think its the right way.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
wow... seriously impressed. you're pretty much right. The only detail I had to figure (for which reason I wrote the jaava utility) is that sometimes the pages are not sequentially laid out in the files. so you need to be careful when concatenating. Anyway... good job.
Now back to our problem :)
What to do with the missing magic header and apparently different compression stream format? I retrieved the "cipherKey" from the PRODUCT.NDS file: it's [00 01 02].
If this is the right key and the algorithm to use it is still open.

exciter

Jan 16, 2017
Krypton
Hi, tried 0635 2016/2017 ECE1 today.
No reboots, runs fine, so seems to work.
Just used my 32GB sdcard with changed cid, copies data on card and replaced overall.nds

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Hi, tried 0635 2016/2017 ECE1 today.
No reboots, runs fine, so seems to work.
Just used my 32GB sdcard with changed cid, copies data on card and replaced overall.nds

You got me confused. You're saying you got 0635 to be accepted with 0730's OVERALL.NDS?
Aren't we trying to get 0730 (being the latest) to work with 0635's OVERALL.NDS?

exciter

Jan 16, 2017
Krypton
Sorry,
Lol im using my 0430 Overall.nds. my car came dilvered with 0430 V1 card.
So I'm using this file in 0630 and 0730 and 0630 runs fine, 0730 restarts.

Last edited:

exciter

Jan 16, 2017
Krypton
Wrote some lines on how I did it.
Check it out here: h*ttp://w*ww.file-upload.net/download-12273220/Mapcareworkaround.pdf.html

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Not really. To be honest, did not have much time to tinker with it, either. Will post back as soon as I get something.

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
I was looking into it as well but been landed with some big projects in work, will try get some time to look again

exciter

Jan 16, 2017
Krypton
Seems that from 0x838 till eof is the same content in all overall.nds but content is shifted
A byte or so. So maybe the first page is responsible to accept card or just the page map must be the same as the original married version.

dodger421

Oct 1, 2016
I thought I'd share my results for anyone interested.

First off the car details to help people decide if this will work for them;
UK 65 Plate (MY16) Leon ST 2.0 TDI FR Tech Pack
with MIB2 Media System Plus Navi (not High), hardware H24, firmware 0245 nav DB 6PO, V430 maps on what appears to be a SEAT badged Lexar 16GB SD card.

I downloaded the full EU1 0730 maps from here:

h*t*t*p://w*w*w.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/-/-/-/View-Promo?cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&Page=SEAT_Leon_Standard_2&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&HideCrumb=true

I backed up and deleted the map files from my original V430 card and extracted the contents of the 0730 download to the root of the original SD card and tried it in the car.

As expected this did not work as, being in the UK, I do not have map care.

I then followed exciter's suggestion and replaced the 0730 maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS with the original file from my V430 card.

This appears to work in the car. I've only run it for around ten minutes, inputting multiple destinations in a variety of different ways. So far it has worked without any restarts or other issues. It is noticeably quicker at route calculation and I will post an update after I've used it for a while or if I run into any issues.

I also tried the above steps using a Sandisk 32GB SD card I had lying around. This was not recognised at all by the car, though I did not try changing the cards CID as suggested by exciter.

Hopefully that helps some folks in the UK. It's quite hard reading this thread to find out which solutions work for what hardware/software/country combinations.

Last edited:

stevenc152

Nov 15, 2016

with MIB2 Media System Plus Navi (not High), hardware H24, firmware 0245 nav DB 6PO, V430 maps on what appears to be a SEAT badged Lexar 16GB SD card.

h*t*t*p://w*w*w.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/-/-/-/View-Promo?cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&Page=SEAT_Leon_Standard_2&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&HideCrumb=true

I backed up and deleted the map files from my original V430 card and extracted the contents of the 0730 download to the root of the original SD card and tried it in the car.

I then followed exciter's suggestion and replaced the 0730 maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS with the original file from my V430 card.

This appears to work in the car. I've only run it for around ten minutes, inputting multiple destinations in a variety of different ways. So far it has worked without any restarts or other issues. It is noticeably quicker at route calculation and I will post an update after I've used it for a while or if I run into any issues.

I also tried the above steps using a Sandisk 32GB SD card I had lying around. This was not recognised at all by the car, though I did not try changing the cards CID as suggested by exciter.

Hopefully that helps some folks in the UK. It's quite hard reading this thread to find out which solutions work for what hardware/software/country combinations.

By that logic this should work for all, think ill set the download on against and give this a bash

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales

That sounds very promising! As I have a lease car I don't want to screw this up and would appreciate any feedback from others trying this. As soon as I get another suitable SD card I'll try it myself to a new card.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Interested in a Navi Plus solution. You would be able to copy that file out from the SSD if it existed but since you can't access it, a bit tricky.

A very silly state of affairs that VW and Skoda get free map upgrades and Seat UK hasn't got its act together.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.