Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

TheCraftyBugger

May 4, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Lucky you! You can there is a fairly lengthy thread on this forum, provided you are reasonably computer literate it looks fairly straightforward, just make sure you take a back up of your existing card before trying it.

I'm running the 0915 but I thought by using the old file from the backup something didn't get updated or have I got the wrong end of the stick there.

Tell

Staff member
I'm running the 0915 but I thought by using the old file from the backup something didn't get updated or have I got the wrong end of the stick there.

I too have the high, but no if you did the card workaround for the standard mib2 you are fine, the three stage process where I number the backup step as (0) above. At worst it may set a VAG error code but you won't know about this yourself unless you have VCDS or Obdeleven or similar. I reckon people who have done it just get a code on the 5f unit if they scan for errors but it works fine with the error. That's what I've deduced from reading the thread. Somebody can check. I think it's an SVM error which means you have introduced an upgrade without authorisation. But don't worry :). There is a method for clearing these but I don't bother now with my SSD unit. Only an internal warning. You'll find these warnings mentioned in the thread.

The file that is copied back is the top layer of the map database that is paired to the hidden partition which in turn is paired to the unit. It's just a frig that you can do it. It's like putting a newer addition of a book in another cover for an older edition....

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Sorry haven't looked into it in detail as I have the Nav High system which can't be self updated without Mapcare.

Not fully :). Voice, inbuilt Poi's and 3D art plus the parameters on how it works like warning distances can but not the roads themselves with the technical work around I posted up which uses SWDL of the developers menu but you get in a pickle if you don't have a copy of the matching upload file if you do update the navdb files since it will lock the navigation screen untill you are a good boy again. Generation above the Navdb file lock the unit, you can go down below or the same. The other aspects you can upgrade. I'm now two years ahead on my original on that :). You have to enable the developers menu with your OBD tools to get at the SWDL menu. Then you do a selective manual update of the files. Post 699 covers that.

I've tried to be a bad boy plenty of times... still working on it ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
2018 / 2019 MIB2 Standard

Ok thanks to Ludo on the Seat Ateca side of the board here is the link to the Mib2 Standard 2018/2019 download otherwise called 1030. I can't test it myself. This will be for units identified with 6P top left in the normal screen to identify a mib2 standard on a Seat as per the Navigation here maps site.
  • Press the “NAV” Button.
  • Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.
6P0 means it's a Seat MIB2 standard don't proceed if that isn't shown.

The download will be EU1 from the file descriptor.

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_2718_1030.7z

It unzips to 12.5 GB (13,528,330,240 bytes) on disk, contains 5,887 Files, 862 Folders. The previous one (0951) unzips to 12.9 GB (13,852,707,481 bytes) on disk and contains 5,886 Files, 861 Folders. So one less folder and one less file and slightly less data that could be rubbish POIs removed or whatever. The missing folder is maps\00\sds\XK which possibly didn't need to be in the other release. Looks like the odd one out... Kosovo seems to have taken a dive in this release or gone somewhere else so I don't think we're worry unduly.

Basically once it's loaded up

• Press the “NAV” Button.
  • Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.

we'd expect to see on the second line

& on the third line

ECE1 2018 / 19

I guess it's going to be fine - will be interesting if it doesn't say that.

Post back with your success or otherwise. On a Google I think Ludo has found something that nobody else has posted up yet. Don't forget to do the step (0) above on the thread if you doing the workaround else you will be up that river without a paddle.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
It's going to be spot the new road, opened stores, car parks, road speeds etc. The Mib2 High one was actually dated December when it was frozen, so I reckon it probably reflects the summer 2017 taking in validation from their development database.

Tell

Staff member
It always was :). I suspect the other thread on changing your firmware is the one you may want :). Too early for me. Nobody ever talks about the internal program just the map data here. I guess VAG reckons they have the software right, just the data that needs updating.

The Standard and Plus although look similar on the screen in some respects less the 3D building project are based on totally different programs and hardware. So basically that's the June update of the map data that's come in 169 and 1030 for high and standard respectively (2018/19) which are good till November.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
It always was :). I suspect the other thread on changing your firmware is the one you may want :). Too early for me. Nobody ever talks about the internal program just the map data here. I guess VAG reckons they have the software right, just the data that needs updating.

The Standard and Plus although look similar on the screen in some respects less the 3D building project are based on totally different programs and hardware. So basically that's the June update of the map data that's come in 169 and 1030 for high and standard respectively (2018/19) which are good till November.
1030 is dated mid April 2018 :blink:

spaceboy

May 7, 2018
If you don't have Mapcare strictly not but I recall you did but I guess thought you were updating the software but not the maps.

I'm not sure if I have mapcare, it's a company car. How would I find out? I want to update the maps.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.