Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
This is an idiots guide for complete novices to update their MIb2 Standard maps using a Mac rather than a Windows PC. With grateful thanks and acknowledgement to all those members much more clever than me who have posted all the useful information and links to enable us mere mortals to update our maps FOC.

1. Check the version information in Settings on your Mib2 Nav, it should look something like this

2. Download the latest map release as listed on post #1005 within this thread.

3. Unzip the 7z file to a new folder (NewMaps for example) on your Mac using The Unarchiver app available from the App Store and other sites.

4. Remove the Navigation SD card from the card slot in the glovebox Nav unit.

5. Unlock the removed SD card and place it into your Mac via card slot or adapter and take a copy of all the contents of the card (folder is named ‘maps’) to a new folder on your Mac (OldMaps for example).

6. Delete all the visible contents (the folder named maps) from the SD card. The hidden files will not be affected.

7. Copy the entire contents (not the folder name) of the folder you created called NewMaps to your existing SD card. When complete you should see exactly what you viewed previously - an SD card labelled NO NAME containing a folder labelled maps.

8. Locate the /maps/EEC/EEC_WILD/OVERALL.NDS on your SD card and replace it with your original file of the same name from folder OldMaps on your Mac.

9.You’re now finished on the Mac, so safely eject the updated SD card.

10. Place the SD card back into SD1 slot in the Nav unit and select Navigation from the menu, don’t worry as there will be a slight delay whilst it locates and loads the new maps. Go to settings and scroll down to Version and you should see an updated version number in this case 1030

You are all finished, happy Navigating!

The following steps are only valid if you have an OBD Eleven.

1.Run a scan of your car and you will probably be presented with the following error.

2. Clear the error in the usual way and rescan and with a bit of luck as in my case this should pop up.

My apologies for this being long-winded but if it helps one member it will have been worth it.

Last edited:

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My apologies if this has been covered before, but there is so much info on this thread my head is still spinning after attempting to ingest it all.

I have an 2018 FR with MIB2 with the 2017/18 V6 maps and have just downloaded the latest maps from the link posted on here. I am a bit of a coward and really don’t want to touch my original card, my question is:-

Is there any way I can use another SD card (I have a spare V6 card with the same part number as the one in the car)?

When I update, I always back my SD card up in two different ways. The first is a file-level backup of all the files, so just copying the files from the SD card to the PC. The second is to write a RAW disk image of the SD card to the PC using 'Win32 Disk Imager'. This is what I'd use if I ever wanted to be 100% sure that the SD card went back to what it was before.

Tell

Staff member
When I update, I always back my SD card up in two different ways. The first is a file-level backup of all the files, so just copying the files from the SD card to the PC. The second is to write a RAW disk image of the SD card to the PC using 'Win32 Disk Imager'. This is what I'd use if I ever wanted to be 100% sure that the SD card went back to what it was before.

I did wonder whether one of those disk imaging programs would also copy the hidden security file partition or not. I used one recently with my Raspberry Pi to back up the micro SD which has a split Linux partition.

Post 526 covers the CID and S/N cloned with Ubunto. I guess a card back up doesn't touch the CID. It's the CID that's the hidden bit that locks the card to the infotainment unit and it's that, that a reformat doesn't touch. The two guys are getting into their stride from November 2016 for about three months or so.

I don't reckon that an image back up would not recreate a damaged card but I could be wrong... revolves around what they do with the CID. Saying that VW dont reckon you are going to damage these cards with updates.

Reckon the unforgiving Mac copy issue is more with the Mib2high thinking about it since the upload for that validates the file size and checksums as part of the copy to SSD so any Mac generated rubbish would stop the update dead in the tracks. For the standard you would put the card in as is and the unit runs off it. Probably why you read about less people having Mac issues on this thread since it's predominantly around the standard unit whilst VW owners have a higher proportion of Mib2highs. Although there might be less Mac users that own Seats... Either way the hidden material that Macs generate is something that one needs to be aware of if things go sideways. That's why VW have the Discover Care software for generating the SD card although currently not configured for the latest update. So there was no point in mentioning that yesterday.

Always good to have one more back up in case the original gets messed up :).

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
My apologies if this has been covered before, but there is so much info on this thread my head is still spinning after attempting to ingest it all.

I have an 2018 FR with MIB2 with the 2017/18 V6 maps and have just downloaded the latest maps from the link posted on here. I am a bit of a coward and really don’t want to touch my original card, my question is:-

Is there any way I can use another SD card (I have a spare V6 card with the same part number as the one in the car)?

I do on a 2016 MIB2 (H24) unit, surely a 2018 car would have a newer unit?
Anyhow, see here:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/satnav-and-full-link-activation.443679/#post-4770662
and here:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sat-nav-sd-card-question.444067/page-2#post-4774102

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018

Tell

Staff member
I reckon it's the 6P of the info screen that's the deciding factor rather than the H24 and H30 etc. Has Mib2.5 hit Seat yet ?. Anyhow it's the same download for both Mib 2 and 2.5 so conconcluded all was good for the future if I jump ship from the Plus to a Standard with a new Seat with 2.5 if I don't crack a full workaround for the Plus rather than the partial one before then. So frustrating that Seat drag their feet on Mapcare.

We know that the Mib 2.5 has a different user POI upload parameter file against against Mib2 but that has been cracked. The map updates are the same.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I did update my existing SD card successfully but are you saying that you can take any used SEAT SD map card and update it and it works fine?

No you have to marry it in via a dealer activation. The CID which is the hidden bit of the SD card has to be registered with the unit. The other way is to clone your existing CID on a working card to a used card but you still need the NDS file. That cloning is via ubunto or whatever not your standard operating system fair least reported by the people that did the workaround.

When people get sent a new SD card never activated by the dealer must be when they have an old card in a new car and the dealer sends them new maps on a card never activated. That will be the only case of DIY without some form of workaround.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
No you have to marry it in via a dealer activation. The CID which is the hidden bit of the SD card has to be registered with the unit. The other way is to clone your existing CID on a working card to a used card but you still need the NDS file. That cloning is via ubunto or whatever not your standard operating system fair least reported by the people that did the workaround.

When people get sent a new SD card never activated by the dealer must be when they have an old card in a new car and the dealer sends them new maps on a card never activated. That will be the only case of DIY without some form of workaround.

That’s what I understand to be correct Tell, which is why I overwrote my own card, but Stevan in post #1044 has posted a link to a thread where it appears to state that any old map card could be used, hence my question.

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
That’s what I understand to be correct Tell, which is why I overwrote my own card, but Stevan in post #1044 has posted a link to a thread where it appears to state that any old map card could be used, hence my question.

Yep, an ebay card works for me, I presumed because the CID is linked to the overall.nds, all I know is that my original card sits in a case in the arm rest just in case anything ever goes wrong.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Yep, an ebay card works for me, I presumed because the CID is linked to the overall.nds, all I know is that my original card sits in a case in the arm rest just in case anything ever goes wrong.

Very interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
That will be because the eBay card is an update card for a Mib2. There is one instance in the history further up where someone was frigging with an update card going round in circles needlessly getting into a pickle. The question is how often does an SD card get damaged in use via wearing out then you would take the financial hit. The Mapcare approach just updates the SD card whilst the normal use will be thousands of reads to the card rather than writes... I reckon. The work around hasn't varied from that apart from copying one old file back after the update.... so that's miniscule against the normal wear and tear on the SD card via the normal Mapcare process :).

Reactions: Jim45

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
This is the card I bought and use:
IMG_20180629_113332.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180629_113332.jpg
    IMG_20180629_113332.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 138

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
I have the exact same card bought from eBay for £10 delivered when I thought I could just copy the update to it, never used because I updated my original card, maybe I should give it a try, nothing to lose?
Yeah, it would be nice to confirm that I'm not just going mad and getting confused with cards and versions.
Just plug it in as is, it should just work, but with it's older version of the maps

Tell

Staff member
I assumed that Steves second card still worked with the unit. You'd have to revert your old card back Jim to be on the safe side if you still have the back up.

This might be how the guys three or more months ago got in a pickle. I know some people got frustrated with him as to why he just didn't do the standard work around.

The unit will have the new card CID stored in it, perhaps it can hold the Id's of two cards or passes that one on... I pass.

Reactions: Jim45

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I assumed that Steves second card still worked with the unit. You'd have to revert your old card back Jim to be on the safe side if you still have the back up.

This might be how the guys three or more months ago got in a pickle. I know some people got frustrated with him as to why he just didn't do the standard work around.

The unit will have the new card CID stored in it, perhaps it can hold the Id's of two cards or passes that one on... I pass.

Yes all backed up

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Unfortunately my curiosity looks like it has broken my Navigation!!!

As mentioned in earlier posts I have an old V2 card like the one member Stevan uses having bought it from eBay, I decided to try that in my Nav and as expected it didn’t work so I put my own correctly updated card back in and now I get the same error ‘Navigation Database Not Currently Available’, so it looks like I’m going to have to shell out for a new card for my stupidty unless anyone can help me with recovery?

Really feel stupid, should have left well alone

UPDATE
Restored my original card back to it’s original maps 915 and it worked, RELIEVED! I’m now puzzled why my original card successfully updated and previously working with 1030 would not work after I had tried the’rogue’ card’.
I am now thinking is it safe to update again to 1030, which worked fine the first time or not risk it?

Last edited:

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Unfortunately my curiosity looks like it has broken my Navigation!!!

As mentioned in earlier posts I have an old V2 card like the one member Stevan uses having bought it from eBay, I decided to try that in my Nav and as expected it didn’t work so I put my own correctly updated card back in and now I get the same error ‘Navigation Database Not Currently Available’, so it looks like I’m going to have to shell out for a new card for my stupidty unless anyone can help me with recovery?

Really feel stupid, should have left well alone

F*ck, sorry to hear that. Surely it can't be that fickle, you could try re-setting the system (press and hold power till it come back on), with the updated card in?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.