Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Last edited:
Reactions: leonisis

Tell

Staff member
You need to follow this link

http://www.navigation.com/web/WFS/S...=tBMKCghBJNwAAAE4iPpmCb2T&utm_source=SEAT-FLP

If when you do

Press the “NAV” Button.
Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.
Check the first text line in "Version information" with the following images:

If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0".

If it shows 6P0 as per the screen in the link then you have a Mib2 Standard and the workaround will.

Reactions: silverbawz

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Took the car to the garage yesterday they basically told me nothing they can do other than sell me an sd card for 165 quid. So I said im not doing that as i laughed in their face.
So my other options are hope someone can let me copy their sd card for their mib1 system and hope that works (i dont know)
Try copying my brothers audi sat nav system as his is the same year of car.doubt that will work
Go to a breakers yard hope they have a mk3 leon and buy the sd csrd out of the car.
Any other options?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
what is the version on the label of the card

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
That's the version. Cheers
ee181927d5fb7cd901b5c05ebaa4d150.jpg

Big Al44

Aug 2, 2018
So I have a v4 card in my 64 plate fr with the navi plus mib1 works fine...so I looked on eBay and found the v6 card no tried it and car reads it,it knows it’s navigation software but then it says unreadable...the guy who sold it me says it needs updating???but my unit has the newest software on but the guy says it needs activation...is it worth the hassle or just send it back

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
So I have a v4 card in my 64 plate fr with the navi plus mib1 works fine...so I looked on eBay and found the v6 card no tried it and car reads it,it knows it’s navigation software but then it says unreadable...the guy who sold it me says it needs updating???but my unit has the newest software on but the guy says it needs activation...is it worth the hassle or just send it back
used ones don`t work

plugNNN

Aug 15, 2018
So far no method has been found to update mib1 systems with SD card, is that correct? (From reading 30 pages seems that way).

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
I started reading the thread in 2016, at that stage some Mib1 people were buying SD upgrade cards which worked off eBay, others did and they didn't. So you will see that in the thread.

Clearing out my download directory found this PDF

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wel...e™+Program&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Take the Fowler VW parts link. This is for the pre Mib1 but shows Mapcare being bought in several ways at that time. I reckon those that got their mib1 SD cards to work off eBay were buying years 2 and 3, those that couldn't get them to work were outside of the three year upgrade path so the card never worked.

That's my theory of how some people did it and others didn't. Some people thought their units came with Mapcare from Europe which is why they had success.

plugNNN

Aug 15, 2018
I started reading the thread in 2016, at that stage some Mib1 people were buying SD upgrade cards which worked off eBay, others did and they didn't. So you will see that in the thread.

Clearing out my download directory found this PDF

https://www.google.com/search?q=Welcome+to+the+Volkswagen+MapCare™+Program&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Take the Fowler VW parts link. This is for the pre Mib1 but shows Mapcare being bought in several ways at that time. I reckon those that got their mib1 SD cards to work off eBay were buying years 2 and 3, those that couldn't get them to work were outside of the three year upgrade path so the card never worked.

That's my theory of how some people did it and others didn't. Some people thought their units came with Mapcare from Europe which is why they had success.

Hey Tell,

Thanks for the reply!

How do you know if you have Mapcare in your system?

plugNNN

Aug 15, 2018
Hey Tell,

Thanks for the reply!

How do you know if you have Mapcare in your system?

I believe I've found the official updates from SEAT, and it appears that if you have what they describe on the website, you should be able to update, in theory.

I've just checked on SEAT website and there are official updates for MIB1 (5F is the one I have), and for other versions as well!

http://www.navigation.com/web/WFS/S.../-/GBP/ViewContent-Start?EntryID=page.leon5F0

and instructions

http://www.navigation.com/cms/page.seatinstructionspage/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP

I will give this a go later on when I'm off work and report back. Hopefully, it works as my maps haven't been updated since 2015 :/

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I believe I've found the official updates from SEAT, and it appears that if you have what they describe on the website, you should be able to update, in theory.

I've just checked on SEAT website and there are official updates for MIB1 (5F is the one I have), and for other versions as well!

http://www.navigation.com/web/WFS/S.../-/GBP/ViewContent-Start?EntryID=page.leon5F0

and instructions

I will give this a go later on when I'm off work and report back. Hopefully, it works as my maps haven't been updated since 2015 :/

Sadly it won't work, the file is too big for your card. I tried when I first got my 2014 Leon last year. I have since given up and use waze on my phone. Shame as I like the turn by turn on the MFD

plugNNN

Aug 15, 2018
Sadly it won't work, the file is too big for your card. I tried when I first got my 2014 Leon last year. I have since given up and use waze on my phone. Shame as I like the turn by turn on the MFD

What if you delete certain locations from the folder? example: delete countries that you don't need (won't visit I guess).

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
What if you delete certain locations from the folder? example: delete countries that you don't need (won't visit I guess).

That won't work, I am sure I tried when messing around with mine.

Important : all the individual segments have to be downloaded to use the map. The map data won't work if a segment is missing.

plugNNN

Aug 15, 2018
That won't work, I am sure I tried when messing around with mine.

Important : all the individual segments have to be downloaded to use the map. The map data won't work if a segment is missing.
Yeah I read that but I think they mean when you download the different parts, as they will have to be together to be able to unzip the file 100%.

If you take out maps I don't see why it wouldn't work. I might not want foreign countries on my nav system :D

I'll give it a go none the less and see how it goes.

Tell

Staff member

and instructions

You are suppose to have Mapcare to do that. This is where I think MIB1 is less forgiving if you play about with it than MIB2. So if you mess up a working version of MIB1 even if you have a back up you get issues. MIB2 if backed up you are fine since you can restore. Be warned that's what someone did above here. Mib2 Standard without Mapcare has the workaround, Mib1 leads to problems.

plugNNN

Aug 15, 2018
You are suppose to have Mapcare to do that. This is where I think MIB1 is less forgiving if you play about with it than MIB2. So if you mess up a working version of MIB1 even if you have a back up you get issues. MIB2 if backed up you are fine since you can restore. Be warned that's what someone did above here. Mib2 Standard without Mapcare has the workaround, Mib1 leads to problems.

According to the website, following the requirements, if you have those versions then you have mapcare - that's the message the website transmits IMO

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
Yeah I read that but I think they mean when you download the different parts, as they will have to be together to be able to unzip the file 100%.

If you take out maps I don't see why it wouldn't work. I might not want foreign countries on my nav system :D

I'll give it a go none the less and see how it goes.
Tell me how it goes and if you find any sort of fix at all pm me. I am that guy above that broke theirs as mentioned below

Tell

Staff member
Your VIN build codes should tell you... like mine says

93 77S VWGROUP CDR Data storage device, integrated without Mapcare

I'd expect it to say with and without Mapcare

Those instructions they provide are for systems with Mapcare where you do the download yourself unless you do a workaround which there isn't for MIB1. Do take care.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.