Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Is there anywhere that I can get -- Europe West V7 0820 3G0-919-866-BC ECE1 2017/18 << Last good one? Will see shortly

If this is the last good one, I would like to use it, as it is still a lot newer than my original maps, and I don't like the sound of the "it may try to send you down a cycle track" for the later ones like I have just installed, with double speed limits.

It's this

http://vw.download.navigation.com/a...ard2_Single_File_EU1/0820_MP163-1214.xEUR1.7z

Not so much the cycle tracks but the speeds aren't correct so routing can be an issue. The choice is whether you like to see new roads or not verses the issue on road speeds and problematic routing. People up to now have preferred to see new roads. Think I prefer to see them rather than routing issues. It was the High unit that wanted to take me on a cycle track.

Reactions: slartibartfast

slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2015
Worcestershire
It's this

http://vw.download.navigation.com/a...ard2_Single_File_EU1/0820_MP163-1214.xEUR1.7z

Not so much the cycle tracks but the speeds aren't correct so routing can be an issue. The choice is whether you like to see new roads or not verses the issue on road speeds and problematic routing. People up to now have preferred to see new roads. Think I prefer to see them rather than routing issues. It was the High unit that wanted to take me on a cycle track.

Brilliant, thanks Tell, now I have the choice.

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Why am I getting this error message? It clearly finds “software update” on the card.
I have a 2016 Leon Cupra with sat nav media plus and never updated it before.

Attachments

• D26BAFB9-ABA8-4089-83F2-783D945D73A8.jpeg
    D26BAFB9-ABA8-4089-83F2-783D945D73A8.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 2506C573-406E-4810-90CB-22A513638B34.jpeg
    2506C573-406E-4810-90CB-22A513638B34.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151

Tell

Staff member
Hi guys. Why am I getting this error message? It clearly finds “software update” on the card.
I have a 2016 Leon Cupra with sat nav media plus and never updated it before.

I suspect you don't have Mapcare and you have done a download and popped the card in ?. You said 2016 Leon is close to 2015 when models could have the Mib1 in. Worth checking the unit installed by pressing a few buttons as described on this site:

https://hereshop.navigation.com/pro...o/sku/seat_non-distro_Leon/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP

In 2015 the mib1 and 2 were installed. 2016 mib2.

How to identify navi version:

There are two different SEAT LEON Navigation system versions, which are externally identical. If you already know which version you have, select it from the left menu. If you want to check it, please follow these steps:

Press the “NAV” Button.
Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.
Check the first text line in "Version information" with the following images:
If the first three digits are 5F0, your system version is the "Navi System - 5F0".
If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0".
On the other hand, if your system has built-in hard drive, and the first three digits are not 5F0 or 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System Plus".

If you haven't got Mapcare and it's a Mib2 Standard which will show 6P0 you have the workaround available as documented on the thread a fair few times (see above, post 1499 is the most recent one of those).

Released June and November each year are the map updates.

See recent posts above. Post 1513 provides the most up-to-date one which covers the whole of Europe, the Seat versions haven't been update to the equivalent yet. All Mib2 Map releases whether from Seat, Skoda or VW will work in a Mib2. Note discussion round there on issues with road speeds - assume this isn't s UK based issue with the updates.

If it's a Mib1 or Navi System Plus a visit to the dealer or some other way discussed on the thread. If it has got Mapcare then it's a file presentation issue. I guess it doesn't have Mapcare.

Last edited:

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
I suspect you don't have Mapcare and you have done a download and popped the card in ?. You said 2016 Leon is close to 2015 when models could have the Mib1 in. Worth checking the unit installed by pressing a few buttons as described on this site:

https://hereshop.navigation.com/pro...o/sku/seat_non-distro_Leon/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP

In 2015 the mib1 and 2 were installed. 2016 mib2.

How to identify navi version:

There are two different SEAT LEON Navigation system versions, which are externally identical. If you already know which version you have, select it from the left menu. If you want to check it, please follow these steps:

Press the “NAV” Button.
Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.
Check the first text line in "Version information" with the following images:
If the first three digits are 5F0, your system version is the "Navi System - 5F0".
If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0".
On the other hand, if your system has built-in hard drive, and the first three digits are not 5F0 or 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System Plus".

If you haven't got Mapcare and it's a Mib2 Standard which will show 6P0 you have the workaround available as documented on the thread a fair few times (see above, post 1499 is the most recent one of those).

Released June and November each year are the map updates.

See recent posts above. Post 1513 provides the most up-to-date one which covers the whole of Europe, the Seat versions haven't been update to the equivalent yet. All Mib2 Map releases whether from Seat, Skoda or VW will work in a Mib2. Note discussion round there on issues with road speeds - assume this isn't s UK based issue with the updates.

If it's a Mib1 or Navi System Plus a visit to the dealer or some other way discussed on the thread. If it has got Mapcare then it's a file presentation issue. I guess it doesn't have Mapcare.

Thanks for replying. Car is a 2016 (May 2016).
I do have map car and the unit is the one with the built in hard drive (Navi System plus).

Attachments

• 216B4922-D4D8-4B56-86B0-7A2226887063.jpeg
    216B4922-D4D8-4B56-86B0-7A2226887063.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 145

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for replying. Car is a 2016 (May 2016).
I do have map car and the unit is the one with the built in hard drive (Navi System plus).

That's like mine but I didn't have Mapcare. Wonder if the three years is up ?. Did you ever do the update before.

They are fussy in the file has to be in exactly the right level in the directory. Then you have the Mac issue of those extra characters getting placed in the file which then fails in the read since the file is signed and fails the check. Not using a Mac ?. I don't how this one presents itself via the front screen since that was never available to me.

You see a lot of discussion on VW boards about MACs. That's why they released the DiscoverCare package. Worth trying that. There are utilities you can use with a MAC to clear out / byepass these characters.

Not using 7Zip but the internal Windows one can cause errors if you are using Windows. That's why VAG recommends 7zip.

There should be nothing else on the SD card except the upload. Not getting the directory structure right you see as an issue.

Tell

Staff member
Further to Mib2 High question above, the root of the SD card should show:

Mib1
Mib2
metainfo2.txt

optionally an MD5 file

(they sit on the root)

The latest P175 if you highlight those first three items on properties in Windows has a file size of 29,580,416,063 bytes and size on disk 29,582,782,464 bytes. If these numbers don't tally then something will have gone wrong in the download and unzipping process.

That might help. Failing that I'd check your build codes. It's got to say "with mapcare" in the text. I know you said it did but the definitive is what the VIN lookup says on the VAG system. I don't think there is any other way of checking. A dealer can look that up although there are sites about and erWin.

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
That's like mine but I didn't have Mapcare. Wonder if the three years is up ?. Did you ever do the update before.

They are fussy in the file has to be in exactly the right level in the directory. Then you have the Mac issue of those extra characters getting placed in the file which then fails in the read since the file is signed and fails the check. Not using a Mac ?. I don't how this one presents itself via the front screen since that was never available to me.

You see a lot of discussion on VW boards about MACs. That's why they released the DiscoverCare package. Worth trying that. There are utilities you can use with a MAC to clear out / byepass these characters.

Not using 7Zip but the internal Windows one can cause errors if you are using Windows. That's why VAG recommends 7zip.

There should be nothing else on the SD card except the upload. Not getting the directory structure right you see as an issue.

Yes files on the card are where they are supposed to be (see attached picture).

I do use a Mac, is this a problem? 3 years are up in May. I never updated before, thought id do it now before May.

/Stewart

Attachments

• AE83BA38-1FD5-471A-BC30-4E9B886AB709.jpeg
    AE83BA38-1FD5-471A-BC30-4E9B886AB709.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 119

PeterPetrus

Feb 13, 2019
Hi all , i 'm new . i have question ,do i need to format the sd ? on 1326 is saying only to delete files. Thank you !!!

Tell

Staff member

I do use a Mac, is this a problem? 3 years are up in May. I never updated before, thought id do it now before May.

/Stewart

Yes MAC's can introduce extra characters that the import will abort on. There are MAC ways of dealing with this.

Some stuff here, mentions only do it in the Windows box, 1st Sept 2018. Assume that's within the Mac.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/454928-columbus-nav-update-woes/

Some Mac users turn to a Windows PC for it. Think it's the inbuilt zip program in the Mac that messes it up. Feeling some people then run a clean program but the resultant file must be exact to the original else it will fail.

There are MAC users around here noting that the Mib2 high is more fussy but they will be able to tell you how to get a good Windows emulation. I'd say it's the MAC.

The other way is DiscoverCare that has its set of issues or the Skoda download, that as I recall is a self extracting Exe file.

Tell

Staff member
Hi all , i 'm new . i have question ,do i need to format the sd ? on 1326 is saying only to delete files. Thank you !!!

If we are talking about the standard Mib2 either will do but given it wont take long to just delete the files but you need to take a copy for the workaround. Its the CID on the Sd card that can't be deleted that's why either way is ok but given you might alter the sector size I'd just delete them after taking a copy.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

/Stewart
I think Mac is causing the problem, there appears to be 2 extra files in your picture, should be as shown in this pic
Capture2.JPG

with these properties for the complete folder.
Capture.JPG

PeterPetrus

Feb 13, 2019
i hope that is Mib2 :) if starting with 6PO .

Attachments

• 51729502_616714178778792_2982635043660234752_n.jpg
    51729502_616714178778792_2982635043660234752_n.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 130

PeterPetrus

Feb 13, 2019
All done and very easy . Thank you very much !!!!!. At seat they ask me for +-150 £ to update maps . Any others ideas how to improve my car ? :) . i tried to find any discutions regarding full link activation and i saw something about speed cameras .

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
I think Mac is causing the problem, there appears to be 2 extra files in your picture, should be as shown in this pic
View attachment 4614
with these properties for the complete folder.
View attachment 4615

They are only excel files with information of changes. I can delete them, though my friend has these files and updates fine. Extracting the files now using Parallels desktop and Windows Server

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 21.36.18.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 21.36.18.png
    568.2 KB · Views: 109

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom

Here's my sat nav info
IMG_0222.jpeg
IMG_0221.jpeg

Tell

Staff member
This is what I ended up with using Windows, I'll try it out tomorrow View attachment 4627

I didn't see the XLS files although that may not be it. Could be. The check I gave above on the file size is for mib1, mib2 and meta file. If there is any gibberish in the mib1 and mib2 directories it will just fail the file size and signature checks. I don't think it looks beyond those three files although you are told not to have anything else in there, Md5 is allowed thou. I spent months looking at these files and certainly they are locked down from edits. Thats why if the zip program adds random stuff it fails why VAG only recommends only 7zip for unzipping.

Tell

Staff member
This is what I ended up with using Windows, I'll try it out tomorrow View attachment 4627
Ok just did a check with the four file in... still seem bigger than I have. But I'm using FAT32.... That's the other thing they recommend FAT32.

Still you may well be getting there. I'd try writing out as FAT32 next. PC, 7Zip and Fat32, clean SD are the recommendations.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.