Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Normally the VW and Skoda releases are identical to the Seat release. Byte by byte they are the same, it just shows a different code when put it into a specific VAG subsidiary car. European boards identified that a number of years back. It was on here that I said don't wait for a Seat release use a Skoda or VW one having read they were all the same release.

I think what happened this time was that the whole of European release was rushed out after VW users had complained about the release being in five parts. It came a month or so after the other with a German board noting the year code wasn't completed correctly. Should read 2019/20 rather than 19/20. Manufacture date is put at the others releases although that could be doctored in the production of the release. The release is on the official VW site although I did give the server link but either way it's an official release put out after the others.

Since it was rushed out I suspect they didn't check that when it was put in Seats it would show the 6P code or a decision was made they were only releasing this for VW and didn't put the Seat part code in. I known one poster changed this themselves although it's only presentational.

Basically that is why I reckon it appears as it does but least gives you the whole of Europe like the previous release.
Not too sure about the SD map updates but for Nav High the November map updates are usually dated for the following year, i.e. November 2018 release would be 2019 maps and May/June updates this year should be 2019/2020 maps, at least it has been like that on the 3 updates I have done on my car.

Tell

Staff member
P T
Not too sure about the SD map updates but for Nav High the November map updates are usually dated for the following year, i.e. November 2018 release would be 2019 maps and May/June updates this year should be 2019/2020 maps, at least it has been like that on the 3 updates I have done on my car.

It's just that in their haste to get out the equivalent all Europe zone 1 map out they left out the "20". The main Navigation Seat link doesn't work on and off... but :).... still all the same files although that equivalent one to the old European series zone 1 isn't available on the Seat site.

Reckon they have pulled the Seat site now. Skoda through Navigation.com directs you to the Skoda site where you need a Skoda VIN. I got a Mib2 High Skoda VIN thanks to a Russian site :). Seat
"Authentication Failed". VW takes you to the VW site. So what's missing is a Seat map upgrade site off a Seat site. Just as well we have this thread with the links :).

Have the links to the map files for the November 2018 release on this tidy thread:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mib2-map-updates-2019.447577/

The November release is regarded as the main annual release.

Edit. Seat site has come back out of hiding but doesn't have the whole Europe one on it, only the divided elements:

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/map-updates.html

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Hi,

I have been reading through this thread and my eyes hurt, after many hours, and i still haven't found (I don't think) to my questions

Would be handy after 80 pages and nearly 1600 replies it could be split somehow...

I have a May 2015 Model Year Leon with the Navigation High/Plus with Hard Drive and Mirror Link, I know I missed being able to have the Android Auto update by a few weeks (June 2015 on was 2016 Model Year)
Very annoying but that's another story.

My part number is 5F0035020
Hardware H41
Software 0123
Nav database V03959801NP0105 ECE 2015
ECE

So do I have a MIB1 unit, and can it be updated?

Ssome have said it's a MIB1.5, there are not many of these units?

Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
Hi,

I have been reading through this thread and my eyes hurt, after many hours, and i still haven't found (I don't think) to my questions

Would be handy after 80 pages and nearly 1600 replies it could be split somehow...

I have a May 2015 Model Year Leon with the Navigation High/Plus with Hard Drive and Mirror Link, I know I missed being able to have the Android Auto update by a few weeks (June 2015 on was 2016 Model Year)
Very annoying but that's another story.

My part number is 5F0035020
Hardware H41
Software 0123
Nav database V03959801NP0105 ECE 2015
ECE

So do I have a MIB1 unit, and can it be updated?

Ssome have said it's a MIB1.5, there are not many of these units?

A Google of your part number puts it at a mib2 high.

There are two threads on these boards... might be more. This one on updating the navigation maps and second one on the firmware.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sw-update-for-mib2-infotainment-system.427280/

As far as DIY updates without Mapcare only the mib2 standard is possible. All others require you to shell out.

You could try your dealer for a map update or you could get your mib2 high turned into a retrofit if possible which is what Walone and myself did. Mine is an H50. I believe his is an H42 the same as yours. See if he pops up or you can look back through the thread from the summer.

There will be a set of firmware releases that go with the H42. Its those firmware releases that form the software for the retrofit. There appears only one company in the UK that can turn a unit into a retrofit. They can probably enable Android Auto as well.... although mine is playing up at the minute. After such an update you can load up the latest maps like all retrofit units using the backend menu. Dependent on what firmware is used which they build from you may leap to the latest firmware which is basically what happended to Walone and myself. You can't then as I understand it update the firmware yourself but normally you wouldn't do that.

You are in the hands of these people getting it right mind you or you might have to do a bit of VCDS after. TMC wasn't enabled on Walones, he fixed that himself via VCDS. Forearmed I had an A4 check list and got them to turn TMC on.

It has worked fine since the mod in November. No reboots or anything. Never rebooted before and on the Novemer 2018 map release.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
A Google of your part number puts it at a mib2 high.

There are two threads on these boards... might be more. This one on updating the navigation maps and second one on the firmware.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sw-update-for-mib2-infotainment-system.427280/

As far as DIY updates without Mapcare only the mib2 standard is possible. All others require you to shell out.

You could try your dealer for a map update or you could get your mib2 high turned into a retrofit if possible which is what Walone and myself did. Mine is an H50. I believe his is an H42 the same as yours. See if he pops up or you can look back through the thread from the summer.

There will be a set of firmware releases that go with the H42. Its those firmware releases that form the software for the retrofit. There appears only one company in the UK that can turn a unit into a retrofit. They can probably enable Android Auto as well.... although mine is playing up at the minute. After such an update you can load up the latest maps like all retrofit units using the backend menu. Dependent on what firmware is used which they build from you may leap to the latest firmware which is basically what happended to Walone and myself. You can't then as I understand it update the firmware yourself but normally you wouldn't do that.

You are in the hands of these people getting it right mind you or you might have to do a bit of VCDS after. TMC wasn't enabled on Walones, he fixed that himself via VCDS. Forearmed I had an A4 check list and got them to turn TMC on.

It has worked fine since the mod in November. No reboots or anything. Never rebooted before and on the Novemer 2018 map release.

Interesting you think it's an MIB2 unit, I was told about an update which would have included Android Auto/Seat car play but we looked at the paper work and guidelines the dealer had and it stated for this part number of mine it cannot be upgraded. It had to be MIB2 which we looked in to and found mine is MIB1. I think it is seven weeks I missed out on this. I have some PDFs of this somewhere but cannot find them!
At the time IF it could be done it would have been £100, but i understand it to only be suitable for the MIB units that ewre compatible, yet hadn't had that feature turned on.

If i understand you correctly...

MAPS
You think I can update the maps because I have MIB2, although I have the HDD unit, I havent seen on these 80 pages here someone who has updated my pre2016MY MIB(?) HDD unit?
But then you say I would need a retrofit to update maps?

Lastly who is this company please?
FIRMWARE
Also there might be Firmware updates that take mine, like Walones from H41 to H42?

Tell

Staff member
Interesting you think it's an MIB2 unit, I was told about an update which would have included Android Auto/Seat car play but we looked at the paper work and guidelines the dealer had and it stated for this part number of mine it cannot be upgraded. It had to be MIB2 which we looked in to and found mine is MIB1. I think it is seven weeks I missed out on this. I have some PDFs of this somewhere but cannot find them!
At the time IF it could be done it would have been £100, but i understand it to only be suitable for the MIB units that ewre compatible, yet hadn't had that feature turned on.

If i understand you correctly...

MAPS
You think I can update the maps because I have MIB2, although I have the HDD unit, I havent seen on these 80 pages here someone who has updated my pre2016MY MIB(?) HDD unit?
But then you say I would need a retrofit to update maps?

Lastly who is this company please?
FIRMWARE
Also there might be Firmware updates that take mine, like Walones from H41 to H42?

I've sent you a PM... They crossed and put Walone into it. The company will be able to tell you what is possibly. I don't know whether they have Mib1 High solutions. Would have thought so.

All these Cupras Seat is fitting without Mapcare in Mib2 High form in years to come will create a lot of people with similar questions.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I've sent you a PM... They crossed and put Walone into it. The company will be able to tell you what is possibly. I don't know whether they have Mib1 High solutions. Would have thought so.

All these Cupras Seat is fitting without Mapcare in Mib2 High form in years to come will create a lot of people with similar questions.

This is what i was thinking of, doesn't help too much but it shows the factory cut off from my unit is the 29th May 2015, then it became a part number with an 'A' on the end which is MIB2 for sure, still not sure what mine is MIB1 or MIB2 without the A

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ated)%20.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1FWdww9ao0RM93hOTcFBc1

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Tell,

I have looked here both give the options below each link, both say if have a HDD and you DON'T have 5F0 your system is the Navi Plus, well i do have 5F0...

There is no option for a HDD version with 5F0 - see why I'm confused

This is assuming Navi Plus and Nav High are the same thing!

https://hereshop.navigation.com/pro...o/sku/seat_non-distro_Leon/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP
  • If the first three digits are 5F0, your system version is the "Navi System - 5F0".
  • If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0".
  • On the other hand, if your system has built-in hard drive, and the first three digits are not 5F0 or 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System Plus".
https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/leon-navi-system-plus.html

You have selected the “Navi System Plus”. Your system should have built-in hard drive and, in the “Setup” > “Version information” display, the first three digits should not be “5F0 or 6P0”, in order to download the following files.

Please, check the four-digit number 0169, (before the regional code, or ECE in this case), in the same place on your Navi System.

If your number is the same or lowers than 0169, your car nav system is outdated. In that case, we therefore recommend you to update your navigation data of your Leon hatchback. You can download the full set of data at once.

Tell

Staff member
Tell,

I have looked here both give the options below each link, both say if have a HDD and you DON'T have 5F0 your system is the Navi Plus, well i do have 5F0...

There is no option for a HDD version with 5F0 - see why I'm confused

This is assuming Navi Plus and Nav High are the same thing!

https://hereshop.navigation.com/pro...o/sku/seat_non-distro_Leon/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP
  • If the first three digits are 5F0, your system version is the "Navi System - 5F0".
  • If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0".
  • On the other hand, if your system has built-in hard drive, and the first three digits are not 5F0 or 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System Plus".
https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/leon-navi-system-plus.html

You have selected the “Navi System Plus”. Your system should have built-in hard drive and, in the “Setup” > “Version information” display, the first three digits should not be “5F0 or 6P0”, in order to download the following files.

Please, check the four-digit number 0169, (before the regional code, or ECE in this case), in the same place on your Navi System.

If your number is the same or lowers than 0169, your car nav system is outdated. In that case, we therefore recommend you to update your navigation data of your Leon hatchback. You can download the full set of data at once.

Do you have a map card in an SD slot.

Answer yes - not a plus unit the 5F / 6P rules applies

6P - mib2 standard (except where you have used the recent all Europe VW mib2 standard file I put up recently)
5F - mib1 standard

if no SD card in slot, navigation works, it's a plus.

Due to Plus units using the same update for the map they don't tell you whether it's a mib1 high or mib2 high since if it had Mapcare you could update it on the same update. Does both.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Do you have a map card in an SD slot.

Answer yes - not a plus unit the 5F / 6P rules applies

6P - mib2 standard (except where you have used the recent all Europe VW mib2 standard file I gave put recently)
5F - mib1 standard

if no SD card in slot, navigation works, it's a plus.

Due to Plus units using the same update for the map they don't tell you where it's a mib1 high or mib2 high since if it had Mapcare you could update it on the same update. Does both.

A. I have not got an SD card in either slot (maps are on the HDD) so = plus model

So that leaves,

Q. Which update do i select?

both say if have a HDD and DON'T have 5F0 your system is the Navi Plus, well i do have 5F0...

I have looked at the unit, it says MIB2!!!!! so at least i know that.......

Plus i have the 6.5" screen

Tell

Staff member
A. I have not got an SD card in either slot (maps are on the HDD) so = plus model

So that leaves,

Q. Which update do i select?

both say if have a HDD and DON'T have 5F0 your system is the Navi Plus, well i do have 5F0...

That's Seat for you. You have a mib1 / 2 High, we don't know which but if you had Mapcare which you don't, you could update it with the navigation plus file.

This German thread

https://www.seat-leon.de/vboard/sho...Radio-welches-ist-das-MIB1-und-das-MIB2/page2

says this

Post 39

5QA0358xx is MIB2 STD
5F00350xx is MIB2 HIGH
5F00358xx is MIB1

So you are mib2 high if their classification is correct.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
That's Seat for you. You have a mib1 / 2 High, we don't know which but if you had Mapcare which you don't, you could update it with the navigation plus file.

This German thread

https://www.seat-leon.de/vboard/sho...Radio-welches-ist-das-MIB1-und-das-MIB2/page2

says this

Post 39

5QA0358xx is MIB2 STD
5F00350xx is MIB2 HIGH
5F00358xx is MIB1

So you are mib2 high if their classification is correct.

So the MIB 1 or MIB 2 units are screwed by the fact they do need to have Mapcare, simply put.

I've just read your post in thew thread 'SW update for MIB2 infotainment system?'

which sums up you did really try and its a no...

By "upgrade" you mean actually changing the unit in the glove box or they just hack it?

Kovi

Aug 3, 2018
Hello, I've recently bought a 2018 leon. I have the Navi system 6PO. I thought we could upgrade the nav version ourselves (didnt know about Mapcare and how to bypass it). So downloaded the updated nav data, made a back up on the sd card, format the sd card and add the updated version onto it. That didnt work, so tried to revert to the stock version, but I am getting the 'navigation database not available'. :(

Didnt know there were any hidden files to back up, so I just back up the "maps" folder. Anyone have a solution? :help:
Thanks

EDIT: did another restore and it worked this time

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
So the MIB 1 or MIB 2 units are screwed by the fact they do need to have Mapcare, simply put.

I've just read your post in thew thread 'SW update for MIB2 infotainment system?'

which sums up you did really try and its a no...

By "upgrade" you mean actually changing the unit in the glove box or they just hack it?

It's your unit, they do it on their knee with wires hanging out. Laptop and gsm aerial on the dash back to the mothership. You get forced into this silly state of affairs by Mapcare not being offered for a token one off fee of £120 or so. VW and Skoda have waved the cost of Mapcare and include in the price. Seat UK just won't sell it unlike in many European countries including Eire. Really the Plus users that are disadvantaged now so there will be alot of Seat Cupra owners grinding there teeth in the future. The Plus is a much better unit than the standard.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
You get forced into this silly state of affairs by Mapcare not being offered for a token one off fee of £120 or so. The Plus is a much better unit than the standard.

Even more so if you paid extra for the Plus Unit

I supose £120 from new some could swallow, but every year.... the assumtion is if you didn't have it from new/couldn't get it from new you can never have it!?

Tell

Staff member
Even more so if you paid extra for the Plus Unit

I supose £120 from new some could swallow, but every year.... the assumtion is if you didn't have it from new/couldn't get it from new you can never have it!?

Well the Mib2 High / Plus is only available on Cupras now. Which Consumers Association has had it in for car manufacturers that saddle owners with silly prices to keep car navigation up-to-date for some years now. If the VAG group can sort it out for VW and Skoda and not unbundle these costs why do it for Seat. They just give a stock answer to when people ask. They now part own Here Maps so they own the data.

Two or three hundred pounds to answer your second question. So anyhow that sorted:).

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
If the VAG group can sort it out for VW and Skoda and not unbundle these costs why do it for Seat. They just give a stock answer to when people ask. They now part own Here Maps so they own the data.

The same units made by the same manufactuer.... it's madness yep!!

Reactions: Tell
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise