Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Matt

Apr 27, 2016
20190621_151018.jpg
Interesting well bundle 1 for the restricted set of countries and other bundle 1 all of Europe both work without issue on a my19 Arona.

Are we all using PCs and 7zip or if MAC doing the appropriate thing adviced by VW to ensure that MAC character garbage isn't getting through onto the card ?. Think Maypack is Mac but using the appropriate Mac unzip tool from memory and alternative to the VW suggested one.

That's why one needs to take a back up of the original card so you can revert back. As said you can dig out the matching original download overall.nds file if you got a picture of the original screen, we have done that in the past where people never backed up the card and lost the original key file.

PC Tell. Just checking when I'm zipping or unzipping which one I'm doing?

Tell

Staff member
View attachment 7955

PC Tell. Just checking when I'm zipping or unzipping which one I'm doing?

Unzipping. It comes as a zip file. If it's a PC you download the free 7zip, sit on the file in the file manager, right click 7-zip, open archive, drag and drop to a created directory on your HD for it.

7-Zip

https://www.7-zip.org/

Install it if using a PC.

Having taken a copy of the original card onto your HD in its own directory. Create a directory on the HD where the new Map data unzipped is to go. Delete what's on the SD card, drag and drop the new files from where you put them on your HD unzipped, with Map obviously in the same location on the SD (on the root). Now replace the new overall.nds file on the SD with the original.

It sits in the

Map\EEC\EEC_WLD

directory, copy on top of that your original overall.nds

Lock the SD card and all done.

Let someone else tell you the Mac method but mentioned it above. Cleanmydrive etc.

I suspect MAC users are having issues with the extraneous stuff that MACs create as part of the unzip if you don't do the recommended procedure.

Matt - MAC or not.

Last edited:

Deleted member 98136

Unzipping. It comes as a zip file. If it's a PC you download the free 7zip, sit on the file in the file manager, right click 7-zip, open archive, drag and drop to a created directory on your HD for it.

7-Zip

https://www.7-zip.org/

Install it if using a PC.

Having taken a copy of the original card onto your HD in its own directory. Create a directory on the HD where the new Map data unzipped is to go. Delete what's on the SD card, drag and drop the new files from where you put them on your HD unzipped, with Map obviously in the same location on the SD (on the root). Now replace the new overall.nds file on the SD with the original.

It sits in the

Map\EEC\EEC_WLD

directory, copy on top of that your original overall.nds

Lock the SD card and all done.

Let someone else tell you the Mac method but mentioned it above. Cleanmydrive etc.

I suspect MAC users are having issues with the extraneous stuff that MACs create as part of the unzip if you don't do the recommended procedure.

Matt - MAC or not.

Deleted member 98136

Still having problems, which I suspect is due to having the incorrect OVERALL.NDS, (mine is dated 01/11/2018)

This is the info off Sat Nav before I first updated (system informs me that my pics too large to upload) -

Device part number: 5QA035858B
Hardware: H41
Software: 0468
Navigation database: 6P0919866AB
ECE1 2018
SHIELD: SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309)

After successfully updating in February, which is when I think I did it -

5F0060884BN
ECE AS 19/20

I cannot find an earlier OVERALL.NDS file, which I presume should be linked to my cars original sat nav version, so I presume I've messed up somewhere along the way ?

I've read in this thread, several references that it is possible to access the earlier Sat Nav files, thereby hopefully locating the correct OVERALL.NDS I am missing,

1/. My problem would be where to find them
2/. What version/year should I be searching for ?

I am using a Windows 10 PC and used 7.zip by the way
Plus I did try to reinstall my previous 1115 updated version, but that now throws up the "Navigation Database Not Availble" message.

Thank you

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Still having problems, which I suspect is due to having the incorrect OVERALL.NDS, (mine is dated 01/11/2018)

This is the info off Sat Nav before I first updated (system informs me that my pics too large to upload) -

ECE1 2018

5F0060884BN
ECE AS 19/20

I cannot find an earlier OVERALL.NDS file, which I presume should be linked to my cars original sat nav version, so I presume I've messed up somewhere along the way ?

I've read in this thread, several references that it is possible to access the earlier Sat Nav files, thereby hopefully locating the correct OVERALL.NDS I am missing,

Thank you

Im sure you need the Overall.nds file that originally came with the Sat Nav that was installed in your car.

Pretty certain you can’t use any other, hence the reason to swap them when updating.

Did you take a backup of the contents of the SD Card before you updated the Sat Nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member

ECE1 2018

5F0060884BN
ECE AS 19/20

Plus I did try to reinstall my previous 1115 updated version, but that now throws up the "Navigation Database Not Availble" message.

Thank you

The overall.nds stays fixed at the one that you originally had on the card. Bedlam has gone throu a number of upgrades so you can keep rolling forward with the original card.

The direct link to 0915 is this

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_915_EU1_2018.zip

The overall.nds on that should be your fix. You could install the whole lot and test.

Deleted member 98136

Sounds about right Tell, been on this update two days now, gonna leave this until tomorrow now as I'm so frustrated and need a break.Wiil report back tomorrow. (fingers crossed)
Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Tell

Deleted member 98136

Im sure you need the Overall.nds file that originally came with the Sat Nav that was installed in your car.

Pretty certain you can’t use any other, hence the reason to swap them when updating.

Did you take a backup of the contents of the SD Card before you updated the Sat Nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maypack, I thought I had but cannot find it, possibly due to the fact I've since changed to a newer PC as my one I used to origially do this the hard drive went and crashed big time ! Never thought about that til just now.

Thanks anyway

Reactions: Tell

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
The overall.nds stays fixed at the one that you originally had on the card. Bedlam has gone throu a number of upgrades so you can keep rolling forward with the original card.

The direct link to 0915 is this

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_915_EU1_2018.zip

The overall.nds on that should be your fix. You could install the whole lot and test.
My Ateca came with 0820 installed and I have updated to 0915,1030, 1115, 1130 and 1310 all copying in my original "0820" overall.nds file.
No problems whatsoever, I also keep a backup of all my updated SD Card "versions", which also include my "0820" original overall.nds file

Reactions: Walone and Tell

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Wow great thread !! Awesome to see this much activity.

I’ve just picked up my Cupra R ST today and very disappointed to see how outdated the maps are in my area. I have a Europa 1 v7 sdcard.

My unit is
6P0919866AF
ECE1 2018/19
SHIELD 2016-34 (build 309)

I’d love to be able to update the maps.

Can I do it on my system ?
If so where is the post with the latest instructions on how to do this ?
I’ve read many pages of this thread but it’s quite hard to find out actually what I need to do.

Tell

Staff member

I’ve just picked up my Cupra R ST today and very disappointed to see how outdated the maps are in my area. I have a Europa 1 v7 sdcard.

My unit is
6P0919866AF
ECE1 2018/19

I’ve read many pages of this thread but it’s quite hard to find out actually what I need to do.

Latest source map files are in post 1693

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-85

I recommend this one it's a like for like upgrade on all of Europe

All European Bundle

Albania*, Andorra, Austria, Belarus*, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Bulgaria*, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Italy, Kosovo*, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Macedonia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)*, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia*, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Ukraine*, United Kingdom, Vatican City

* in parts

Direct link.

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1310_V11.7z

In post 1695 the method

This file will not give a Seat part number but it is not an issue. The other zones release have Seat part numbers. You will see 5F rather than 6P.

>>

Those who want to give it a 6P part number feel free to edit with Notepad but it happily work without an edit. You can also give it the name of your current release and name etc but not required.

Post 1601 I covered where this field comes from using Exciter's original post on the "workaround":

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-81

In all instances of the workaround do copy the SD card off
and it's a good idea to save the original Overall.NDS file in it's own directory since you will need this with each map update. Putting it in a mock directory indexing into it acts as a crib sheet:

eg.

C:\Users\xxxx\Satnav Files\Original File Fragment To Copy\EEC\EEC_WLD

xxxx user name

with it in there.

Also a good idea to reboot the unit in the process of updating it. Turn off, take the SD card out. Long press on the on / off button till it re - wakes. Then once you have the files on the SD card following the workaround, reckon it's less likely to generate the SVM error which doesn't effect the working of the unit but shows up on a scan.

If a PC use 7Zip to unzip the download and copy to the PC directory first. Other PC unzip programs may work for the standard including the built in Windows 10, high is much more fussy - Vag recommends 7Zip for standard and high.

If MAC the recommended VAG software to clear the rubbish from a MAC unzip of the download map file is the free utility CleanMyDrive 2 whilst for a PC 7zip. From the October 2019 VAG pdf notes:

ATTENTION

If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

There are other MAC unzip tools that do the same job.
<<

Said original file is the overall.nds

in

Maps\EEC\EEC_WLD

You keep it in a safe place since that original file on the SD card you keep copying back onto the SD card after each update.

PS

Yes they bung the car out with whatever card they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slickric21

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire

My unit is
6P0919866AF
ECE1 2018/19

If you want to retain the 6P0919866AF reference you can as it will likely change.
Do this by editing the file maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt using Wordpad
Change the PartNumber4 entry to PartNumber4="6P0919866AF" and save, then update the car

*****P.S.These numbers change with different variants, my Ateca is "6P0919866R" so everyone needs to check theirs, the update will work without doing this, but it is probably best to have it right i.e. future Warranty Claims

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
If you want to retain the 6P0919866AF reference you can as it will likely change.
Do this by editing the file maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt using Wordpad
Change the PartNumber4 entry to PartNumber4="6P0919866AF" and save, then update the car

I'm just editting that bit in... managed to miss it off where I reference Exciters original post... many bows ;).

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for the detailed replies I will have a bash at this tomorrow.

Stupid question but do I just use the SDCard that is provided by Seat or do I need to buy a new one ?

Also does this mean back up the orginal SDCard ?
In all instances of the workaround do copy the SD card off

Thanks again :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.