need advice on changing top mounts and arb link bushes

daves ibiza

hi guys as title saids ive bought some top mounts for suspension i have spring compresers and have some sort ov idea of what im doin but not on this car i havnt done it before any tips would be great and also arb bush links are those easy to fit many thanks guys:D

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Sorry nobody on here can help so far.. be careful with the compressors, you don't want to get collected by the spring on it's way through your garage roof if something slips.

daves ibiza

i no ive seen a link on here someone posted with spring goin awall any other ways of doin it:D

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
hey mate have you had drop links replaced before?? be carefull when u take the shock absorber off cause u can change the camber (elogated holes) which then puts the tracking out !!

daves ibiza

id didnt thing these had droplinks i no they arb link lol guna do it today i think

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
if you mark them before you take them off you should be ok unless your picky
had mine done twice without needing the tracking/camber needing done

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
if you mark them before you take them off you should be ok unless your picky
had mine done twice without needing the tracking/camber needing done

thats bull.

To get it perfect (and no uneven tyre wear) you need to get it tracked after.

change topmount is simply unbolting the 2 bolts at the back of the brake disc, then undoing the 3 top mount bolts. Then you can pull the whole schock/spring out.

Then you can undo the single nut up top on the topmount, which is when the spring will release all its energy so watch out.

daves ibiza

cheers pal managed to do top mounts yesterday now a few probs wheels tilted in and camber is way out so im booked in today to have all sorted out . still didnt do arb link bushes :lol:

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
thats bull.

To get it perfect (and no uneven tyre wear) you need to get it tracked after.

change topmount is simply unbolting the 2 bolts at the back of the brake disc, then undoing the 3 top mount bolts. Then you can pull the whole schock/spring out.

Then you can undo the single nut up top on the topmount, which is when the spring will release all its energy so watch out.

thats why i said you should be ok i dont think PERFECT came into my post

daves ibiza

right i went for camber yesterday booked in at 3 oclock went for a strole down petrol garage and they phoned me back saying there unable to do it due to ball joint knackerd:wtf: so i went out yesterday and bouight a load of stuff to get this right things i bought yesterday

arb bush links
top mounts top mount bearings
rear bushes for wishbones
track rod arms
ball joints
new rods for bushes

and a couple more bits so i got a hole day ahead of me today to crack all parts then take it for its camber setup once again:argue: cheers guys

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
cheers pal managed to do top mounts yesterday now a few probs wheels tilted in and camber is way out so im booked in today to have all sorted out . still didnt do arb link bushes :lol:

when you done your topmounts, do you have coilovers or normal springs/shock? i really need to change mines too. :cry:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
steelers

not that expensive

when i bought mine like a year ago i paid something like 65 euro's for the topmounts and bearings

daves ibiza

as reuvers said mate dealers or gsf i bought a load of stuff to do and i think they where only 12 bucks each i think

anyway had trouble today fitteing all parts lol only done drivers side so guna tackle passenger tomorow just took car for a spin and i noticed this sqeackin noise from drivers side and i noticed it a little yesterday when driving home from having camber done hence why ive changed all these parts to save hassle in future can anyone tell me what this noise might be or if they have had same problem any help will be appriciated dave

daves ibiza

right had :censored: of a day complete all the tasks on my car so well happy . apart from working the whole day in the rain :headhurt: i took car round the block and feels much better to drive nice and stiff love it no nocks cluncks :clap: . so booked in tomorrow again for camber tracking ect . i recently bought other bits and bobs and fitted all at once.

parts fitted

arb bush links
top mounts
top mount bearings
rear bushes for wishbones
track rod arms
ball joints
new rods for bushes
front wish bones bushes
2 ball joint splitters battered both
and a swollen hand from hammer :cry:

all good tho guna tackle clutch soon . many thanks dave

daves ibiza

as you all no ive recently replaced all bushes ect had car camber and tracked an its drives nice now;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.