Need front disc and pad recommendation - Cupra R 1.8t

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
Right, got a cupra 1.8t 2005 with red calipers.

I'm after some new discs (312mm i belive) and some new pads.

I've had a price of £63 per disc and £75 for pads from Seat.

So my thoughts are that I could probably get some more decient ones from somewhere else for the same or less cost.

I've seen some nice Brembo's on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270464005343&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Like these but is there cheaper or better discs

Also I've no idea where to get some pads from or what to get. This is for standard road usage, I cannot find any matching Brembo's anywhere I've looked.

Can someone provide me with a few locations and products to look at that are not in excess of the standard seat pricing?

Getting very confused with all the options and lack of clarity!

Any suppliers on here feel free to PM me.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey mate,

Lots of people (including me) are using discs from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibiza-Cupra-R...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439ad4f776

They are £75 the PAIR, rather than each... and seem good value. I've only had mine on the car for about 1/2 a month, and I opted for grooved ONLY (not drilled) and they seem to do a really good job!

As for pads, best around are the Ferodo DS2500, they are £119 a pair though, but quality doesn't come cheap. Speak to Bill (Badger5) on here, and he'll sort you out with the pads!

If you buy cheaper pads, steer clear of the Redstuff/greenstuff etc etc... most people say they are rubbish.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well it appears that they are pretty good - look like OEM discs with the additional grooves etc added afterwards, but a lot cheaper. Damoegan has then for sure (front and rears, and i've got the fronts)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hey mate,

Lots of people (including me) are using discs from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibiza-Cupra-R...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439ad4f776

They are £75 the PAIR, rather than each... and seem good value. I've only had mine on the car for about 1/2 a month, and I opted for grooved ONLY (not drilled) and they seem to do a really good job!

As for pads, best around are the Ferodo DS2500, they are £119 a pair though, but quality doesn't come cheap. Speak to Bill (Badger5) on here, and he'll sort you out with the pads!

If you buy cheaper pads, steer clear of the Redstuff/greenstuff etc etc... most people say they are rubbish.

I wish I'd seen those discs before I did my car! :cry:

However, I must be the one person in the country who gets on with EBC discs and greenstuff pads. I've never had any trouble with them at all, and bringing a V5 Tolly down from three figure speeds on a frequent basis would definitely show up any problems.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Cheers Ant. What make discs and pads did you get?

Stil not decided, think i will upgrade from standard as the brakes themselves are great, however they do tend to fade from prolonged use. I need to ask AMD what their upgraded ones actually are.

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Ive always used mintex 1144s very good pads.

Also does anyone know if these discs are right for cars using the skoda vrs/audi tt 312mm kit ? or are they different?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

ss55eat

Nov 28, 2008
Right, got a cupra 1.8t 2005 with red calipers.

I'm after some new discs (312mm i belive) and some new pads.

I've had a price of £63 per disc and £75 for pads from Seat.

I assume you have the AP racing 4 pots (with Seat Sport on them). I just got the standard Seat pads from David at Sere Motors (they have a forum on this site) for about £55. Probably worth checking him for disc prices as well. I haven't fitted the pads yet but apparently several people have had problems getting the securing pins out of the calipers. I think there are a couple of threads about it in the Mk4 FAQ's. (I've been spraying WD40 on the pins for the last couple of weeks to get ready for removing them.) The Seat fitting kit with 4 replacement pins and 2 springs is another £50 (ouch!). Brake pads are S6LL698151. Fitting kit is S6LL698295.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.