need help, respraying rear arches

vngtx

after several attempts to match the paint on my kiwi, ive finnaly got some paint that looks as close as im ever going to get to the faded body work. ive had to strip the paint down to the metal to get the rust off the arches and used body filler to smooth it over a bit. ill be sanding it down with fine paper when i get some decent weather. i need to know where to go from here to get the paint to blend in with the rest of the rear quarter panels.

(i cant justify a full respray on a car that cost me 700 quid)

woody1986

mad as a box of frogs
Oct 21, 2008
Derbyshire
I did the same with mine sanded it back to metal and used body filler to get it nice and smooth the primed it and sprayed with my halfords kiwi match.

before:
Photo0139.jpg

After:
Photo0148.jpg

vngtx

i thought my rust was bad! :blink: did you not need to blend it in with the old paint at all?

woody1986

mad as a box of frogs
Oct 21, 2008
Derbyshire
Not really i left it for a day then i used T-cut a few times and it blended in nicely there was a slight mis-match but you could only see it close up.

vngtx

i can just see that the new paint is darker. some reason mine is a tiny bit lighter, sprayed it 3 times now and this time it just about matches. had trouble after masking it off, left a big grey line of primer underneath the masking tape :cry: so i tried using some 1500 grit paper to remove it - didnt work. then 1200 grit - didnt work. 1000 grit - didnt work. spraying over it unmasked - perfect. :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.