"New" 1.4-S Problems - No.1 - Temp gauge not working

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Hi guys,

Picked up the 'new' Mk2 1.4-S tonight :D

Driving it back from Huddersfield, I get to the M1 and glance at the temp gauge...... it hasn't moved....

My guess is that it's the coolant temp sensor that's up the creak. Any other options?

If it is the coolant temp sensor, does anyone know if it's the same as the one that's fitted to a 1.6 Cordy ?!? ;) If it is, Pete can add it to the list of bits I want off his Cordy !! :D

Andy

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
might be - would be well worth not driving just in case someone's pulled the plug out if it's running too hot

did you not 'get it up to temp' in the test drive?

andyj

When I relaised the gauge wasn't working, I pulled over and checked the hoses etc, and they were fine, so I drove sedately back.

Going to have a good look tomorrow morning, and change the sensor if I can get a replacement.

When I test drove it on Sunday, I stupidly didn't pay any attention to the temp gauge..... won't make that mistake again!

Andy

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
I was just about to ask if you'd checked if there was any coolant in it - water cooled engines with no water in the system appear to run remarkably cool. If you know you have a leak and see the temp gauge start to drop, it's usually a *bad* sign...

andyj

Update:

Spent the morning servicing the Ibiza, new oil/filter etc.

Checked the coolant level before I went to GSF, and it was Ok and the wiring looked fine also. So while I was at GSF, I bought a new sensor, only £14 so not the end of the world.

Replaced the sensor when I got back, and took it for a test drive..... the gauge does work, but the needle only gets upto 1/4 way mark, and not 1/2 (i.e. vertical) that it should......

I'm even more confused now!!

Andy

andyj

Updated No.2:

Popped down to Halfrauds earlier to pick up some new brake shoes (as it sounds like they need replacing! They didn't have any though!) and on the way back, the temp gauage decided to go to correct vertical position..... but now it's only going to 1/4 again.....

Argh!

Andy

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Was the old sensor covered in crud. If you pop the new one back out and it is already cruddy, the cooling system may need a flush. Especially if car has been sitting for a while. Sludge in the system could give you those erattic readings.

OR When its only getting to 1/4 on the temp, is that on a short trip on a cold day. Could be a true reading. Maybe car is just taking a bit longer to warm up.

andyj

Off the top of my head, I 'think' the old sensor was pretty clean.

When the gauge went up to 1/2 way, I then started it up again after I'd got home and it only went to 1/4 way :(

Had a look at the coolant, and it looks like a 'rusty' colour. So I'm thinking it needs flushing out and replacing with fresh G12.

Andy

andyj

Arse, drove the Ibiza to work this morning, and the gauge didn't even reach the 1/4 mark, and that was on a 13mile/30min run.

When I changed the coolant, I let the engine run and get upto temp etc, and the gauge moved to the 1/2 position and then eventually the fan cut in etc, so I know it's all working ok.

I'm now thinking it's as m0rk originally suggested, dodgy wiring :(

Any idea how I should go about finding the route cause?!?

Andy

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Is the temperature sensor that drives the gauge on the dash mounted on the radiator? If so, then it's possible that the engine is getting up to temp but the rest of the cooling system isn't, which can happen if you have a dodgy thermostat - I have "fond" memories of my brothers' old OHV F*rds doing this kind of thing with alarming regularity...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise