New 1.5 instead of 1.4 in ordered Leon FR

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Hi. Apologies if this has already been discussed.
I placed an order for a FR 1.4 Ecotsi back in May with delivery expected in December. I have had 2 email videos off the dealer basically saying no news yet. He has now apparently left the dealership and the lad I spoke to today has informed me that the 1.4 has been replaced by a 1.5. Has anyone any thoughts on this...I.e. still a good engine, why it's been changed etc.

Cheers.

Aris88

Aug 8, 2010
Athens, GREECE
I also ordered a 1.8 tsi in mid may amd had to re-order in June as my order was cancelled due to engine changes. 1.8 tsi 180hp became 2.0tsi 190hp and 1.4 has been changed to 1.5 as you already know.

Seat changed the engines because of new WLTP regulations which will be active from this September.

As far as i know the 1.5 engine will be more efficient delivering more power and torque with better fuel efficiency

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Thanks very much for the reply. Sounds abit worrying that you had to re-order as this wasn't mentioned to me during dealerships conversation? Just my luck my order has been cancelled and it'll be December 2019 when I get the car!! We're you informed via the dealership that you needed to re-order and did they offer any free upgrades for the inconvenience? Ha ha.

Aris88

Aug 8, 2010
Athens, GREECE
I ordered the car in Greece so in UK it might be different on how orders are processed. I actually had to call my dealer several times because the build date on my order was "0" and nobody knew what that meant. After figuring out that the factory cancelled the order, we had to re-order with the new specs

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Interesting as the dealer I spoke to said there was no build info on the order but put it down to the factory in Spain being closed for their 2 weeks.
I think I might give him another ring thus week and double-check. As you have reordered, has this changed the date on which you expected the car to be ready by?

Aris88

Aug 8, 2010
Athens, GREECE
Absolutely. I was expecting the car to be built in the end of July, but now its expected to be built in October.... Yes better give your dealer a call to sort it out

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Thanks for the replies you've left. I'll get on to them when I get chance and explain your situation so he can clarify one way or the other. I'll not be a happy bunny if this is what has happened.

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Well. Just off the phone to the dealership. After explaining your predicament, he assures me my order has not been cancelled. I hope I will not be adding anymore posts that include rants over having to re-order!! Fingers crossed!! Cheers.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Well. Just off the phone to the dealership. After explaining your predicament, he assures me my order has not been cancelled. I hope I will not be adding anymore posts that include rants over having to re-order!! Fingers crossed!! Cheers.
You'll not have to re-order, you'll get the car you ordered for the same cost except with the newer 1.5tsi engine.

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Cheers for that. I was more worried about the 30 week wait turning in to a 52 week wait if it had been cancelled. Still waiting to hear any news on dates.......

admac21

Aug 30, 2018
I've just placed an order for a 1.5tsi and was told 10-12 weeks, which would mean it should be ready around December, I'm surprised to see you were told 30 weeks and I'm also now a little worried my dealer was being overly optimistic! Were you told 30 weeks at the time or has it been delayed since you ordered?

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Hi. I was told at the time of ordering and it was a close call wether to place the order or not due to the wait time. I was told that the delay was due to the new emission regulations that were coming out this month. As far as I understand, this is why the engine has changed from the 1.4 that I ordered to the more efficient 1.5. To be honest though, as I still haven't heard from my dealership with a build week, I would query it with yours, just to be on the safe side.
This is the first time I have ordered a new build so am abit naive but I cannot see it being a problem if you double check. Good luck and please post back with any new info you squeeze out of them!!

admac21

Aug 30, 2018
I've just been doing more researching on the forum and I'm not sure if you've come across the lead times thread but Scrogg who works at a Seat dealer has posted up the current estimated lead times for various models/trims: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/order-lead-times.443838/page-6#post-4794167

Which would actually put my order at an 18-20 week lead time once it's been accepted by the factory which considering I've only placed the order yesterday could add another week or 2 depending how long that step takes. Good luck to you too and I'll let you know if I hear anything more from my dealer, they are meant to email me later to confirm my order has gone through.

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Thanks for the info. To be honest, I am not even sure that my order has even been accepted as no build week has been given. My dealer did emphasise that orders will be accepted on a 1st come 1st served basis but who knows. I may give them a ring later on today to see if they have an update.

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
Just off the phone to the dealer and they actually have been given a build week now. He thinks that I will have the car by the start of November now so fingers crossed for that. Good news for once!!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The new WLTP regulations and long wait times for the ACT engine, was what put me off ordering another Leon 1.4 (or 1.5) engine in FR trim. Instead I've ordered a Volvo V40 also 1.5 152PS non ACT. Apparently they was the first manufacturer to complete the test for all their engines. So wait times are only 10-12 weeks. In reality, lets see...

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
The new WLTP regulations and long wait times for the ACT engine, was what put me off ordering another Leon 1.4 (or 1.5) engine in FR trim. Instead I've ordered a Volvo V40 also 1.5 152PS non ACT. Apparently they was the first manufacturer to complete the test for all their engines. So wait times are only 10-12 weeks. In reality, lets see...
Fingers crossed for you that the times are a reality!! I was very naive as it is my 1st new car purchase. After waiting a long time to decide and get finances in place I didnt envisage waiting 7 months but just fell unlucky with the new regulations I guess.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Fingers crossed for you that the times are a reality!! I was very naive as it is my 1st new car purchase. After waiting a long time to decide and get finances in place I didnt envisage waiting 7 months but just fell unlucky with the new regulations I guess.

I was one of the 'sad ones' on his forum everyday, haha...just kidding, so I was well aware of the long lead times. But the Leon is an excellent car (I previously had the pre-facelift MK3 2.0TDI DSG), just be wary of a few rattles here and there, but easilly fixed by a competent dealer.

Blubonez

May 18, 2018
While i hang around until i get news on the car, ive been having a mooch on the net for any info on the new 1.5 engine. All I've come across is that it is 130bhp as oppose to the superseded 1.4tsi's 150bhp. I'm no petrol head so bare with me but is this not something dealers should be discussing with clients or is it no real biggy?

Rainman

Sep 25, 2018
While i hang around until i get news on the car, ive been having a mooch on the net for any info on the new 1.5 engine. All I've come across is that it is 130bhp as oppose to the superseded 1.4tsi's 150bhp. I'm no petrol head so bare with me but is this not something dealers should be discussing with clients or is it no real biggy?

There are 2 versions of the new 1.5 tsi . One with 130 bhp and 200Nm and another one with 150bhp and 25Nm ( which is the exact figures with the 1.4 ecotsi replacing )
I think that would be wise to clarify which version you are getting .
To take an idea of the difference in the VW Golf where the 1.5 engine exists for a while now with both power output ..VW is quoting 0-60 in 9.3 sec fir the 130bhp version and 8.1 for the 150 bhp version

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.