NEW 2019 Curpa 290 ez.. No DSG bangs or pop whatsoever!

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
The turbo isn't boosting at idle, no where near enough load on the engine to get any kind of boost built up, the revs do rise yes, but that read out on the screen isn't giving a correct reading, it's giving atmospheric pressure, you need to take one bar off to get the correct reading, which leaves you with practically nothing, pops are caused by the gearbox setting, nothing changes in the engine, plently of people on this site and golf/audi forums have done data logs and they show nothing happens except for throttle response

Last edited:
Reactions: queen and Tonezz

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
And even then the reading will only be what it's been programmed to readout, I.e it will give a certain reading at certain rpm and throttle position, just like the power gauge, it's all there to give the illusion that more is happening than what really is, just like the sound actuator

Last edited:

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
And even then the reading will only be what it's been programmed to readout, I.e it will give a certain reading at certain rpm and throttle position, just like the power gauge, it's all there to give the illusion that more is happening than what really is, just like the sound actuator
Isn't the turbo gauge fairly accurate?
I was gunning it today and caught a glimpse of the gauge hitting 37psi :rifle:

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
As @motty225 said stock boost gauge doesn't give an accurate readout. It isn't factoring out atmospheric pressure. At sea level that's 1 bar or ~14.7 psi.
Does this mean I have to deduct 14 7psi from the displayed readout to have a more accurate reading?

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
Unless revo has re calibrated the gauge to automatically deduct 14.7psi, yes.
Hmm, very interesting. I may have to phone them next week to get a definitive answer. It is re calibrated as part of the stage 1 upgrade to account for the increased boost but I don't know whether it takes account of normal atmospheric pressure?

Jan 18, 2020
So I have a answer for you after just having work done by a tuner. My cupra is 2019 290 now 360bhp.
Pops and bangs crackles Over run etc etc
From 2018 onwards OPF filters are fitted for emissions etc your cupra will not crackle n pop loudly or in some cases like mine at all not even dsg farts when this is fitted not even a stage 1 map and dsg map will change this fact! Iv just tried with a tuner.. in even if you get loud pops from a dsg map you will melt the OPF causing limp mode and a bill of around £800. Solution .... OPF GPF delete along with res delete then she will gun shot crackle pop bang etc plus added bhp by removing the OPF to remove this and to map the sensors that are attached is around the £600 mark. If you just do a res delete is still won’t do much for you because it’s being dampened first by the OPF. Iv just had stage 1 done and tested dsg map for pops etc and nope so I have 360bhp and it’s not made a bit of diff to the sound however the performance is a joke what difference it’s bloody nuts

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
Hmm, very interesting. I may have to phone them next week to get a definitive answer. It is re calibrated as part of the stage 1 upgrade to account for the increased boost but I don't know whether it takes account of normal atmospheric pressure?
No need. I can tell you categorically that there is no way on earth that turbo is creating 37psi of boost.
Most tuners wouldn't go above 30 and even then that is pushing the limits of a stock is38.
That will be inclusive of the atmospheric pressure. So your stage 1 revo file is actually closer to 22/23 psi.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
Yes I did check with Revo and it's the actual psi including atmospheric pressure so you have to deduct 15 psi approx. At idle it's at around 4-5 psi which puts it at minus 9-10 psi which again accurately describes the intake in a state of psi vacume. Today whilst out on a drive the gauge touched a peak of 38psi whilst accelerating in Cupra mode and yes it does plenty of pops and bangs but only in Cupra mode so there's obviously something different going on to enable that from factory

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Yes I did check with Revo and it's the actual psi including atmospheric pressure so you have to deduct 15 psi approx. At idle it's at around 4-5 psi which puts it at minus 9-10 psi which again accurately describes the intake in a state of psi vacume. Today whilst out on a drive the gauge touched a peak of 38psi whilst accelerating in Cupra mode and yes it does plenty of pops and bangs but only in Cupra mode so there's obviously something different going on to enable that from factory
It's the throttle response and gearbox causing it, been loads of data logs done over the years that show nothing changes but that

May 1, 2021
You get pops and bangs on your manual 300? I thought it was only dsg that did it, I’ve never heard mine do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey,
I also have a manual 300. I can get a fart changing gear when I hit about 4000rpm. Sounds louder when I have it in sport rather than Cupra 🤔.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Hey,
I also have a manual 300. I can get a fart changing gear when I hit about 4000rpm. Sounds louder when I have it in sport rather than Cupra 🤔.
Whatever you're hearing isnt the same as a 'fart' in DSG though, thats caused by the fuel line being cut while the clutches switch, its the leftover fuel in the line popping in the exhaust.

Reactions: Kykel94
May 1, 2021
Whatever you're hearing isnt the same as a 'fart' in DSG though, thats caused by the fuel line being cut while the clutches switch, its the leftover fuel in the line popping in the exhaust.
Yeah I get that part, still sounds good though 😅

Reactions: Tonezz