New 240PS cupra has uprated internals, chips on std motor run this and more

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Most of the chips for TFSI powerplant put out at least 240PS. Why then, when the manufacturer does it as in the new Cupra, do they need to uprate the conrods, pistons, head etc.

Makes me very worried about getting a standard motor chipped as surely this would suggest it can't take the power?:confused:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Manufacturers will want to maintain their HUGE safety margins and probably think the 'cupra' will take a fair bit of punishment as the performance model in the Leon line up.

Getting you car remapped is not risk free.

Customer care and after care support from big tuners is worth a few £££ extra for this reason imo vs spending £200 on a remap from Joe tuners who you will never see again

Last edited:

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Going on my design course principles - you always design something to handle more than it will normally have to handle.

So the old one was set up to run one power, but could handle more as the margin was built in.
The new one is designed to run more power,so has been uprated to add the extra margin over the top of that.

Just my guess?

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Most of the chips for TFSI powerplant put out at least 240PS. Why then, when the manufacturer does it as in the new Cupra, do they need to uprate the conrods, pistons, head etc.

Makes me very worried about getting a standard motor chipped as surely this would suggest it can't take the power?:confused:

Reputable tuning companys will take time to know what the specific engine will take safely, after all there not going to get a good reputaition, if all the engines they have been tuning go bang. You only need to look at the 1.8 T units that have had the IHI treatment and running more than double the standard power and still remain reliable, just to realise just how great the tolerances are on them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise