New car - FR170, FR150 or Ref Sport with BTCC kit?

Jonto

Mar 29, 2005
Newcastle under Lyme
Chaps

I looking into buying on of the above, but would like you general views on the three.

Basically, i could afford an FR170 but would be stretching it and would only do it if it was really worth. My budget would be more a Ref Sport or and FR150, which i like in equally measures, but i love the BTCC Aero kit.

What is the 2.0TDI 140bhp like on the mpg front compared to the old 1.9TDI 150 unit and how to the cars compared against each other.

I have a 16months old daughter so rear and boot space are important.

Also, does the Aero kit affect my insurance?

Car will be used for motorway and round town with the odd long journey to Le Mans for example.

I am thinking i should go for the Ref sport with kit but i have always like the FR 150 which would be the cheaper option and i could stick £3 or £4k in the bank.

Is the ref sport well kitted......say bluetooth, cruise and ipod/mp3 compatible?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Jonathan

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Had an FR150 before I bought my BTCC'd ref sport in black. The 140 feels just about as quick but economy is poor - typically 4 mpg less day to day. But, it still gives 43+mpg so who cares?

There's much more room in the back in the new Leon, the boot is the same size though. Handling on the mk2 is infinitely better than the mk1. Never forget, the mk1 is the *old* Golf chassis which was never, er, class leading.

The kit doesn't affect my insurance - they said they weren't bothered as it was sold that way. That was with Privilege though - others may differ.

The ref sport is well kitted but doesn't come with bluetooth as standard - think this is an option. I even like the interior on the mk2.....

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Had an FR150 before I bought my BTCC'd ref sport in black. The 140 feels just about as quick but economy is poor - typically 4 mpg less day to day. But, it still gives 43+mpg so who cares?

There's much more room in the back in the new Leon, the boot is the same size though. Handling on the mk2 is infinitely better than the mk1. Never forget, the mk1 is the *old* Golf chassis which was never, er, class leading.

The kit doesn't affect my insurance - they said they weren't bothered as it was sold that way. That was with Privilege though - others may differ.

The ref sport is well kitted but doesn't come with bluetooth as standard - think this is an option. I even like the interior on the mk2.....

Bluetooth is not standard on any models mate :)

True about the chassis, Mk2 chassis is streets ahead of the older chassis.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members