New Car with mods

ebo007

Jul 15, 2008
Dundee, Scotland
Hi all I have recently bought a MK1 Leon FR TDI and i have a few questions, hopefully someone can help out, know its a bit of a long shot without looking at the car :)

SPEC:
Full Cupra R Interior
Black Cupra R Alloys
Center Arm rest (Standard?)
HID Lights
Aero Wipers & Fabia rear
Heko Wind Deflectors
Rear Window tints
Lowered on Eibach springs
Drilled and grooved disks with Mintex pads
K&N Air Filter
Custom Code Remap of some sort

It is very fast for a diesel, I have a R/R print out showing 205.5 BHP & 295 lbs-ft at he engine. I cant physically see any other mods, the guy I bought it from didn't do the mods and advised me the intercooler has been upgraded along with the turbo. Can you cant get this sort of power with the standard turbo and a stage one/2 map?? I know the rollers may not be 100% accurate but its all i have just now as I dont have VAG-COM.
He also mentioned something about the waste gate on the turbo being upgraded or changed? It does make a noise when changing gear on boost which my 130 Golf TDI didn't have, can this even be done on these sort of cars? Could this just be the extra boost from the map? As far as I can see the exhaust is standard twin pipe exit.

If anyone has any ideas on the questions i'd appreciate it. Thanks

RR Print out

Car

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Car looks nice, some nice mods already done!

That power sounds pretty high for stage 1/2, would need a BT/hybrid to get over 200bhp and most info I've read says that 195-200bhp is the absolute max you should put through these turbos and will require an uprated clutch. Check out some of the guys with remapped PD130/150 engines and they'll have their map held back to around 185bhp to keep torque lower and save the clutch.

As for the 'wastegate' noise, is it a kind of pigeon noise when you lift off boost? This happens when the back box has been removed (search youtube for mufflerectomy vids).

I'm sure some of the diesel gurus can provide better info :)

ebo007

Jul 15, 2008
Dundee, Scotland
Thanks for your comments.

I did think it was a bit high for just a map.
The back box is still there and the noise isn't as loud or a pigeon like as the mufflerectomy noise on you tube.
Yeah hopefully someone can shed a bit more light on it for me.
Cheers

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Car looks really good there! Are they the r alloys or the fr+ alloys, they don't seem to fill the arches like lowered cupra r's that's all, and the fr badge on the wing is all red which suggests you have bought an fr+. Have you checked what filter is inside the air box? I put a green cotton in mine and the only thing that changed was the noise. I could definitely hear noise when I floored mine at low revs and came off the throttle quickly, when I had a cone fitted, sort of died a little now I have a k and n panel in a drilled air box though. If you've got a hybrid in your car, then either it's on a standard clutch so the power has been limited, or the mapper doesn't know what he's doing lol, as these reach 230-240 with out any changes other than pipes, exhaust and turbo upgrade.
Got any plans for it?

Sent from my iPhone

ebo007

Jul 15, 2008
Dundee, Scotland
Thanks mate. Apreciated the comments.
Yeah they are only 17's so assume just the FR+ then? So that must have the wheels and the seats as I've noticed other FR's with plain cupra seat. Do u know any other differences?
Just found out this wk it's been decatted as well as struggled to pass mot due to the smoke. Plenty black smoke being kicked out of it these days. Will be looking to remove and clean the egr and manifold to see if that helps.
There is paper work about custom code map in the doc's but no receipt or any details of what map or where it was done.
No plans at the moment as fine the way it is and saving for a wedding. First thing will be getting the wheel back to silver (as not a fan of black) then probably some suspension work. Ride is a bit bumpy and I do 300 miles a week so not the most comfortable
I just really want to find out what has been done to it. Haha!
Would I be able to tell if it was hybrid by removing the turbo?
Cheers

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
A de-cat shouldn't cause too many problems smoke wise, that would be more of a boost leak/over fuelling issue. Could also have a leaking exhaust/EGR gasket or something.

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
The noise you say could be the filter or the decat, as mine was first mufflerectomied, so I had the pigeon noise, then decatted. The noise changes quite abit, its both louder and higher pitched now, so maybe the standard rear box allows the noise to creep out a little? You'll be able to tell if its a gt22 or something as opposed to the gt17 we have std, but maybe not hybrid as it could just be the cartridge of the turbo that's been changed, the inside. It may just be a case that the car has achieved high 190's and the dyno has over read? I'd put my money on it being a standard turbo with that torque figure, because mine is 186hp and 290ft/lb and thats a standard turbo, bearing in mind mine was mapped well given that my turbo nozzles were sticking badly. If it isn't standard then you should put a decent clutch in her and get another custom code map for the full potential of the turbo :). Also the seats will have been changed because the fr+'s get the same boring seats as the fr's do std.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

prodrive2

Remoging the turbo can know perfectly if hybridized, or you can just remove the inlet pipe and take a picture of the compressor whell, hope you can tell whether or not this hybridized

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I wish people would stop saying about the clutchs will give in and that they require changeing once mapped etc my pd160 ibiza Cupra is running a stage 1 mapp with 195bhp custom and and over sized boost hoses uprated exhaust system custom lager intake pipeing with jr cone filter and egr restriction gasket running about 201bhp yes on standerd turbo and still on standerd clutch still holding fine no slippage as of yet and has been like this for 30k.
I have known of people running hybrid pd150 s and pd160 s on standerd clutch for little time before they have gave way.
Standerd turbos on these units are at safe running power of 200bhp and max running power at about 210 with all other mods done

prodrive2

i wish people would stop saying about the clutchs will give in and that they require changeing once mapped etc my pd160 ibiza cupra is running a stage 1 mapp with 195bhp custom and and over sized boost hoses uprated exhaust system custom lager intake pipeing with jr cone filter and egr restriction gasket running about 201bhp yes on standerd turbo and still on standerd clutch still holding fine no slippage as of yet and has been like this for 30k.
I have known of people running hybrid pd150 s and pd160 s on standerd clutch for little time before they have gave way.
Standerd turbos on these units are at safe running power of 200bhp and max running power at about 210 with all other mods done

+10

prodrive2

My ex ibiza cupra tdi
Stock, only mapping
ateje4ub.jpg

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
I wish people would stop saying about the clutchs will give in and that they require changeing once mapped etc my pd160 ibiza Cupra is running a stage 1 mapp with 195bhp custom and and over sized boost hoses uprated exhaust system custom lager intake pipeing with jr cone filter and egr restriction gasket running about 201bhp yes on standerd turbo and still on standerd clutch still holding fine no slippage as of yet and has been like this for 30k.

6 of one blah blah.... Could get unlucky and have a biff clutch or dmf!

Sent from my iPhone

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions

Its not horses that kill's standard clutch's its the torque. Start pushing 330lbs of torque through your standard clutch.... You will have a half fat map on your car with a 285/290lbs restricted torque to save your clutch. Sometimes it works on a stage 1 but many times it doesn't. Stock clutch's have a limit of 300lbs but many have problems with slip even with restricted maps. Clutch's are not an exact science. Been around this loop for many years and have owned a PD150 for over 9 years now (6 years at stage 2).

Back to OP - re your noise I would guess decat pipe possibly. Re your map results - over reading simple as. Mine has varied by as much as 15-20 bhp/lbs or so over the years. Loads of factors - rollers, heat.. Don't read too much into that piece of paper of yours. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Recommended upgrades to your motor? cheap good mod is a short shift (I have a neuspeed one but Forge do cheaper ones) Well worth it imo for the money. Another great mod was the rear anti roll bar (they don't come with one). Really tightens the back end up - very noticable. The obvious brakes/suspension too but take your pick on those as people's opinions vary immensely.

ebo007

Jul 15, 2008
Dundee, Scotland
Thanks husband.
I will enjoy it. I'm not too fussed about figures was just trying to find out what had been done to it. I Appreciate your comments. May have to replace the clutch soon anyway as I have a rattle from Either the bearing or flywheel so might just put an updated one in it.
Thanks for the advice on the modifications I'll look in to them.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen

FWIW my PD150 standard clutch slipped after I got it mapped with a supposedly 'clutch-friendly' 175hp / 300lb ft. map. Might have been the original clutch though and the car was on 53k miles at the time.

Got it replaced with a new standard clutch and so far no slippage and I'm at 64k miles now. Can't help wondering how long the clutch will last though...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.