New Cupra user

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Hi all!

New user of your forum. So far one can say that I'm a dedicated VAG guy, definitely a senior. Over the years we always have had at least one VW/Audi in the family, that goes from the day I took my driving license. I live in southern Sweden. Now I have bought my first Seat. However I’m a bit familiar with the brand since my son for some years owned a Seat Leon 1P Linea R 2009 with the EA888 1.8 tsi engine. Great car! Basically a Golf mk5.

Within two days I will take delivery of a 2018 Cupra R 310 manual (as you know limited edition 799 units). It has 10 km on the odo so it’s a new car but manufactured Feb this year. Grey met. glossy, not matte.

Vehicles today:
Golf7 R Manual -14 / Golf Alltrack DSG -18 / Audi A4 Convertible 2005 BSR stage 1/ Ducati 1198 S

The Cupra R will take the place of the Golf R next week.

/Peter

Deleted member 103408

Welcome Peter, one of my fellow members has just switched his 290 for an Cupra R as well and he is very excited.

Please put up some pictures when you get the car as we all love the look of them.

do you plan any modifications to the car

Reactions: paddy6789

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Thank you very much theoldboy! Hope your friend will be please with the R.
I will add some pics when I get it :).

Modifications.

• Have ordered from “Dynablink” dynablink.de, dynamic blinker side mirrors.

• Have ordered winter tires + 4 OEM Cupra R rims 235/35/19” Nokian WR A4. Must have in Sweden, legal demand.

• Dogbone insert. Have 034Motorsport on my Golf R. Should I order 034 again? I think so.

• Audi RS3 brake air ducts, cooling. Should fit MQB cars in general. OEM no 8V0 407 811 and 8V0 407 812. Cost about 15 GBP each makes 30 including straps at our lokal VW dealer.

• Cut out intake the blocked area in front of the air box.

• I think I skip an open intake but a K&N air filter insert or BMC filter. Perhaps an enlarged “elbow” inlet pipe type “CTS” in alu close to the turbo (where the crank case ventilation hose goes in). Wouldn’t hurt.

• Conti 6. After the winter I will swap the tires to Continental sportscontact 6. Now the car have Conti 5P. Good enough for ordinary road use. I use to go on track days now and then and have heard that Conti 5P have weak sidewalls. I have Michelin PS4S on my Golf now. They suffer from weak sidewalls, much wear on shoulders hopefully the Conti 6 are better from what I have seen.

• Some VCDS tweaks, most important get rid of Start /Stop ASAP!
I think for the moment that’s about it. Tuning… haven't decided yet :)

/Peter

Deleted member 103408

Nice start

Like the dynablink i just cant justify spending Eur 200 on some lights I wont see but they will make the car look good.

I would say yes to dogbone insert

looking forward to pics, why have you gone from the Golf to Leon as a matter of interest, This is obviously a Cupra fan site but always interested in why guys come over to our side

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Cupra have always good numbers /lap times on tracks compared to Golf. I really like my R, then I suppose I will like a Cupra. In my world the cars must be very similar exempt for the 4wd Haldex. Both MQB based. In Sweden I couldn’t find a new manual Golf R but I fund a new Cupra R. Both not possible to order in Sweden for the moment (EU classification matters). I have never driven a 5F Leon or a Cupra for that matter.

The Cupra was found in northern Sweden 1200 km from where I live. Arrived with car transport some days ago to our local VW/Seat dealer. No one in my town to demo drive. On the other hand I will next week!

Have had many GTI:s over the years, now we go Cupra!

BTW My son have sold his Linea R, he will buy my former Golf R. Great solution!

/Peter

EDIT The brakes 370 mm Brembo is not an option for Golf GTI or R. Cupra R have them.

About your forum. I got a good impression of it, therefor I joined. You are Seat experts :).

Last edited:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Welcome!

Would be interested to see how you find your R!

And I've made a few notes of the mods you have planned.

Mine is ready for collection in 7 days...was told today that I can pick it up a week earlier than originally expected. Nearly popped with excitement!

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi and welcome :)

On the Brake duct RS3 mod, I’m confused. All Cupra’s have a feed from the front intakes (where the fog lights would go) to the brakes.

The top section of the intake is covered but the rest is fully vented.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Hi and welcome :)

On the Brake duct RS3 mod, I’m confused. All Cupra’s have a feed from the front intakes (where the fog lights would go) to the brakes.

The top section of the intake is covered but the rest is fully vented.

Thanks.

The purpose is to redirect the air flow to the discs. Air coming from the channels you pointed out or from under the car.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Welcome!

Would be interested to see how you find your R!

And I've made a few notes of the mods you have planned.

Mine is ready for collection in 7 days...was told today that I can pick it up a week earlier than originally expected. Nearly popped with excitement!

Thank you, always exiting when the pick up is getting closer!

Last edited:
Reactions: paddy6789

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Thank you, always exiting when the pick up is getting closer!
From looking at videos of the Cupra R, I'm not sure if it warrants the need for the Dogbone mount insert - I'd be interested to see what your thoughts and results are though. Full throttle starts seem to be handled very well by the car.

I believe the R comes with uprated engine mounts over the standard Cupra and with the Michelin Pilot sport Cup 2 tyres on mine, the wheel hop should almost be eradicated. That being said, a stronger engine mount is always a better performing engine mount.

Reactions: Damo H

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
From looking at videos of the Cupra R, I'm not sure if it warrants the need for the Dogbone mount insert - I'd be interested to see what your thoughts and results are though. Full throttle starts seem to be handled very well by the car.

I believe the R comes with uprated engine mounts over the standard Cupra and with the Michelin Pilot sport Cup 2 tyres on mine, the wheel hop should almost be eradicated. That being said, a stronger engine mount is always a better performing engine mount.

If that's is the case it's a big advantage. I'll await the outcome IRL.
Got some minior vibrations when I added a 034 insert to my Golf R. Nothing to worry about..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.