New headunit using existing bluetooth - possible simple adapter?

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
Hi

I have a Leon Mk2 and looking at getting a new headunit for it. I don't want to spend a lot, maybe £200 - £250, but I also have the existing factory fitted bluetooth kit.

I've been trying to figure out how to get ANY headunit to work with the existing bluetooth kit and have been trawling the web and found this.

Its a telemute interface that normally would take an input from a handsfree kit, mutes ANY radio (via the standard telemute wire) and feeds the phone audio through the front car speakers until you are done with the call. My idea is to connect the adapter into the ISO wiring loom, and then cut the relevant wires and wire in the bluetooth car kit instead of the handsfree unit its SUPPOSED to be used with. So instead of muting for a handsfree kit, it would mute whenever a call comes in via bluetooth.

I've never seen one before, don't know what the black box is, or whether this "Idea" would work? Does anyone know?

I've also seen there are adapters to fit certain hands free kits - this isn't relevant, but its what gave me the idea. Looking here you can see the yellow tel mute, which could be cut and wired straight to the bluetooth tel mute... and then the other wires also cut and wired to carry the audio?

If I'm right, and I don't know which is why I'm posting here, it would be a cheap and easy way to let anyone change their headunit and still use the bluetooth kit even if a specific kenwood/alpine etc adapter isn't avalable.

Any opinions?

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
The bluetooth unit is under the drivers seat, you can see it if you take a peek, but the wires for it, tel mute, and + - audio go into the back of the existing headunit. Its these wires a was planning on cutting and connecting to that adapter.

Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
ah right. what sort of aftermartket you looking to get. i may have to keep an eye on this thread.
there is a possiblity of a clarion coming my way in july.

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
I tried one of those Autoleads canbus adapters with telemute function when I fitted my new headunit.. It didn't work at all! Didn't even let me use the steering controls!

Ended up sending it back for a refund and using the connects2 adapter instead.. Worked flawlessly. I used an Alpine AI-Net box to take the input from the bluetooth and feed it to my headunit.

Edit: My headunit thread!

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
You can do exactly the same as the guide above with other makes of radio , but unlike the Alpine which has an interupt box , you can just plug into the AUX connector of the radio , only downside is you will have to switch your headunit to aux to hear anything , mine will be done this weekend , but at least you can still use the factory bluetooth.

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
I think also there are only a few Alpine headunit that have the AI net compatibility, so anything within my budget I wouldn't be able to get the interrupt box for.

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
Theres another cable here which looks like an updated version of the one i posted earlier, this time specifically it states for leon 2006+ with quadlock.

Street, do you know which one it was that you tried?

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
The one I tried was.. Autoleads PC910-X73. I don't think the one you've listed is a canbus lead, means some of the features won't work.

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
New idea then

If i bought the canbus adapter you used to go from the car to the headunit, but instead of plugging the iso connectors into the radio, I bought the standard ISO version of that tel mute thingy I've been posting, and put that in the chan between the canbus and the headunit, surely that should work

So

Car < - > CanBus lead <-> autolead tel mute cable <-> Headunit

or have I got the wrong idea of how it works?

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
As far as I know I don't think that would work.. From what I can remember, the connectors will be different too so you can only have one in the system. The telemute/canbus unit is the black box bit that plugs into the iso lead.

cables.jpg

Its the wirings/box at the bottom left.

cJ

You can do exactly the same as the guide above with other makes of radio , but unlike the Alpine which has an interupt box , you can just plug into the AUX connector of the radio , only downside is you will have to switch your headunit to aux to hear anything , mine will be done this weekend , but at least you can still use the factory bluetooth.

Hello Rob, this solution looks fine to me, but I have 2 questions, if you connect the factory bluetooth cable directly to the aux of the radio,

- How do you know when a call is entering, and
- if you connect the factory bluetooth to the radio aux, do you loose the ipod connection?

thanks mate.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hello Rob, this solution looks fine to me, but I have 2 questions, if you connect the factory bluetooth cable directly to the aux of the radio,

- How do you know when a call is entering, and
- if you connect the factory bluetooth to the radio aux, do you loose the ipod connection?

thanks mate.

i posted on the other post you did lol
you getting the pioneer right?
same model as me , you can tell if you have a call cause it still shows in the mfd , and no just hook the ipod up via the usb cable and it will work fine :)
the pioneer has 2 aux in plus ipod and you can name the source as well , so mine now says phone instead of aux 1 , its just 2 presses of the source changing button on your steering wheel to get the unit into phone mode on the head unit.
simple as , if you have problems give me a shout mate.

Crompton

Mar 16, 2015
Hi I am a new member, my name is Dave, I have just bought a Mk2 1.4 TSI . I can't seem to connect the radio to my phone. The steering wheel has the phone button on it but the car only has the standard radio.
Does anyone have an idea how I use it?

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
ahhh ive been wondering how to keep the bluetooth and upgrade the headunit for ages! but by the looks of it theres still no fully functioning solution to this ? i have tried reading through all previous posts.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
Hi I am a new member, my name is Dave, I have just bought a Mk2 1.4 TSI . I can't seem to connect the radio to my phone. The steering wheel has the phone button on it but the car only has the standard radio.
Does anyone have an idea how I use it?
with my pre fl. i just search on my phone and it comes up select it and pair with the code 1234. job done and itll connect on its own from then onwards.

CameronJohnston

Jun 2, 2014
Central Scotland
I have a kenwood stereo with connects 2 cables, does anyone know what it is I buy to get the steering wheel controls to work. There is a small black box that is connected at 1 side but don't know what it is I need for the other side?

Cameron Johnston
Stage 1 Leon TDI

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise