Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest - time is running out to book your place at our annual get together. Free car stickers included for attendees: Find out more

New here but help required mk4 ibiza misfiring

Discussion in '** FORUM RULES & FAQ - Please Read **' started by Scarlet_Witch, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Scarlet_Witch

Scarlet_Witch New Member

Hey so back in may I posted a thread about my car misfiring from cylinder 1.

I still have the same issue but the cars been seen by the garage I bought it from so far he's changed the coil in cylinder 1, didn't work. Changed the spark plugs, didn't work. So he had it in the garage for 5 days in may and said he fixed the fault it was a wiring issue in the loom 2broken wires apparently. Well it's ran fine since but guess what it's misfiring again from cylinder 1. So now I'm turning to you guys for help. The car runs fine but when sat idle at traffic lights etc it starts with a little shake then turns into a misfire. I have to turn the engine off then on to get on my way
    Iv also noticed that if I sit in traffic with some revs on it doesn't misfire
    misfire. Seems to also misfiring easier when on a hill facing upwards or downwards..I apologise if my thread is in the wrong place iv only posted once before so I'm kinda new. And this is my first car so please speak to me in simple terms as I don't have a clue but trust me I'm learning the hard way. Thank you all

2. Fmxvxx

Fmxvxx Full Member

It sounds like the vehicle is under fuelling at idle I would look at the injector for cylinder 1.

3. Scarlet_Witch

Scarlet_Witch New Member

Thanks it's worth a go I guess never been suggested. Thanks. Is there a way to test this without buying new parts? Iv spent so much money trying to fix this I don't want to buy parts and it not be the issue.

4. Fmxvxx

Fmxvxx Full Member

you can read the injector flow rates with a decent scan tool you can also rule out the wiring by use of a noid light plugged into the injector wiring, removing the injector and inspecting would also be advised.

5. Scarlet_Witch

Scarlet_Witch New Member

Thanks. I'll see if I can get one of the guys to have a look at it. As i said my first car so still learning. Would injector issue make the car run sluggish or cause misfires on other cylinders or are injectors linked to cylinders. My car only has 3 cylinders so it's awful when only 2 work like a tractor.

6. Fmxvxx

Fmxvxx Full Member

if the injector flow was poor or the spray pattern was not correct yes it could cause sluggish performance or misfires as the cylinder is not getting enough fuel for proper combustion.

and to be fair it sounds awful when running on 3 cylinders as well ;)

7. Scarlet_Witch

Scarlet_Witch New Member

Haha hell yea running on 3 cylinders isn't good but it's a cheap car so hey. My exhaust sounds awful like there's a hole but nothing there. My friend has a 3 cylinders skoda fabia 1.2 and hers sounds fine unlike mine. Garage told me it's sounds raspy cos it's 3 cylinders but I think it has another issue.

#7 Scarlet_Witch, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Fmxvxx

Fmxvxx Full Member

a lot of 3 cylinders suffer from "Rough" running having to use a balance shaft to keep the engine from knocking all over the place was never the best idea but economy is king at the moment.

If you're in Watford or the surrounding area I'm happy to take a look at it for you.

9. Scarlet_Witch

Scarlet_Witch New Member

Awww thanks very much but I'm up north in Cumbria. Ah well I'll cope with it sounding like a wasp in a tin for now haha. Can't wait to have the finance paid off. Bought the car cos I though it would be perfect only having 30k miles and it's 7 year old