New HIDs = radio issues

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi,

just fitted some 6000k hids to dipped and main beam lights the other day, and now i get a lot of interference on my radio. Do i need to get some kind of booster for my aerial? The ballasts are located on the front wings and are pretty far forward. Also i am running the original audio set up.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
is it happening at all times ? with sidelights ? or just when main HID lights are on ?

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
It happens mostly when i put on the dipped hids, i have mains beams also, but it doesn't make it much worse.

For instance i have a 30 mile drive to the town, before i fitted them i used to get radio signal all the way with no hint of signal loss, now at certain points i loose it completely.

I just read something about earthing the Ballasts, has anyone done this successfully?

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I get this too, assume because I haven't made any supplementary earths. Also wont help that I replaced the standard stereo but never put in a booster so its my own fault really lol. I can noticeably hear it when I turn on the lights, mainly on Radio 1 though - maybe its a sign :D

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I get this too, assume because I haven't made any supplementary earths. Also wont help that I replaced the standard stereo but never put in a booster so its my own fault really lol. I can noticeably hear it when I turn on the lights, mainly on Radio 1 though - maybe its a sign :D

Funny that mine is with Radio 1! :)

So do you think that if i earth the ballast casings to the car body it should make a difference? I'm still running with the standard head unit.

Cheers

Andy

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I get this through my CDC channel on the Aura I have the CDC going through it and also an AUX input and it happens on both, not really noticed it on radio but it happens everytime I turn on my dipped beam HID's, its fixed on mine by turning the radio off and back on.

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
have you mounted the ballasts by bolting them directly onto the car?if so you may be creating a ground loop.try mounting them to some plastic slabs then mounting them to the bodywork

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
have you mounted the ballasts by bolting them directly onto the car?if so you may be creating a ground loop.try mounting them to some plastic slabs then mounting them to the bodywork

They are currently held on using strong double sided tape, only one of them could possibly touch the body work in the current set up. What do you think about earthing them to the negative on the battery?

thanks

Andy

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Okay thanks, just so happens i have just gone through 2 in the last week with them being faulty. So you never know.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
i spoke to the supplier who i got them from and he said that he had another customer who had the same issue and to his knowledge never got it sorted.

I think its strange how some have issues and some don't. Going to keep trying, one thing he mentioned was to ensure the aerial had good contact.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.