Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

NEW Highflow K04 exhaust manifold and hybrid 372bhp on lupo

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by ibizacupra, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Pommeh

Pommeh Active Member

Would you be willing to give me pictures and all the dimensions in relation to the manifold so I could put it on Solidworks for you? It may well ascertain why it flows better on one engine than another when I perform the FEA.

Admittedly theoretical component level testing is never as good as a system level test but maybe it would help? I'll leave it with you to decide.

2. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

I will post pictures of its updated flow divider splitter shortly.. Testing is still being done as is progress on understanding the "sensitivities" on pushing these k04 based hybrids.

Much more is being learnt..

What is clear and obvious to me, but not many others is, the "mix" of the parts fitted to these cars is Critical to the outcome. No one single component, be it turbo, manifold, intake etc etc is the magic pill. Fixating on a manifold for example as being the difference to achieve for example the lupos stunning output, is flawed.

The whole system of bolt ones, Combined with the engine itself, and its sensitivity to back pressures for example (exhaust valve train, spring strengths etc) will massively influence the outcome, positive And Adverse.

As soon as I have completed my testing, then the whole package can be better described as to what is required to get the best outcome, both parts wise, tuning approach wise etc

What I see on the LCR being tested here is it flows higher than stock mani, runs lower egts' and is supporting same power as recent LCR which came here on v3 relenless, but making more torque, from less boost, and ran lower egts. ~330bhp/348lbft level

I am now trying to find the magic which allows the lupo to make more.... and this is the current position of where I am.. Turbo change has been done, and resuming testing this afternoon.

3. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

I would be very interested in help on some 3D modelling of this..

The component level is only the component tho, and its the overall system of parts which plays a massive part in the outcome. The manifold is just a single part. The turbo is spec etc, downpipe, engine health itself.... all massively influence the flows/egts/backpressures.

What info would you need? PM if you want

thanks

4. JDUB 20V

Looking forward to the results Bill :)

5. j976rna

j976rna Active Member

are 3.5" downpipes available? Or is it a one off?

6. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

i have'nt seen any... but I make my own stuff... thats what i do. custom fabricating turbo and engine setups...

7. IH786

IH786 Full Member

Good to see progress is being made, always thought the 'total package' needs to be spot on the most of out these turbos.

There are so many different specs of k04 hybrids out there its hard to keep track of it all!

Bill is it possible to modify the first few batches of manis sold (including mine) to apply the updated flow divider splitter or is a whole new manifold needed?

8. Pommeh

Pommeh Active Member

Ideally a sample so I can get exact measurements from the CMM and 3d scan it for internal imperfections. I don't expect you to send me one though so an alternative is the 2d drawings the manifold is made from including pictures and vernier measurements of your porting process should give me enough information to put something together. Material specification would help as well otherwise it means running various simulations based on different material codes.

I can base the flow through the manifold on the air flow produced by different block specifications through the small port and large port heads including variations in inlet manifolds (I have an rmr manifold here so I can pitch that against the standard one as a different benchmark) as you said though there are a lot more variables to consider but the least I can do is prove your manifold on component level flows more than standard. I can also show where any turbulence is occurring and draw up suggestions on how it can be improved upon.

I'm happy to draw up a disclaimer to say that all information discussed between us is confidential and all files produced from my work are the sole property of badger5 and upon completion of said work will be removed from my possession and transferred to yourself.

My car is currently sat with a v3 manifold on it half built, so for personal reasons testing your manifold means I can ascertain whether or not I need to dismantle the car again to put yours on.

9. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Progress is and has been made yes. I will update here in due course.

Specs of hybrids AND the rest of the package, including the engines general well being are all part of the mix. No one components magics a good result.

I have designed and tested an update part to the gen1 manifolds which I can offer to those who need it for theirs. This brings the flow divider splitter upgrade to its best possible level.

Another sample will be with me early next week, which will be going onto a car we are building here currently.

What is clear thus far, putting aside the total shyte & unbelievable hatred being spouted on facebook by assorted ignorent of the fact parties :rolleyes: is the manifold is high flow (over oe) and does support hybrid power with lower egts.

As I said I will summarise the facts here in due course shortly.

10. waynedunn1234

waynedunn1234 Active Member

the quality of your work is second to non! keyboard warriors are all over the internet i wouldn't let it bother you. everyone who has used your company or your wealth of knowledge all back you. Plus FB is full of tools anyway lol

11. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Full Member

Need another test car? :lol:

12. JDUB 20V

13. JDUB 20V

Bill how did you get on with testing bud?

14. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

it continues currently.. end of this week we should have another two cars worth of data to add to the existing data collected.

15. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Status is waiting the test report from the fea modelling, stress testing to be written up. The model data supports my measured data on cars I have mapped and built hybrids onto these past few weeks on the manifold, and its gen2 iteration

When the reports ready, I will write up the status. Not before, much as I want to shut the haters up with all their BS and attempts at second guessing & conspiracy theories.....

Radio silence from me until I have all the data demonstrating fact from "fiction" and FB heresay.
    There is no k04 exhaust manifold with the level of test data as this one, bar None!

Those "actual" customers who wish their gen1 updating to gen2 spec I remind to contact me those who already have'nt had it done.

thanks

#95 ibizacupra, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  16. RDS

RDS OEM+

Looking forward to the results of the gen 2, my gen 1 will be with you on Thursday. I'll drop you a mail to confirm.

17. RDS

RDS OEM+

Hi Bill, is there any news on when the testing results will be out?

Cheers

18. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

There is no more testing being done, they're working fine on the cars I've built and mapped.. Testing is done.

I haven't received all report data, and not overly inclined to publish much or any info as I am not going to feed the trolls who read this thru their "hateful" eyes.
    I have had enough sh1t from them to last a lifetime, and will not be sharing hard earned experience and information with anyone publicly.

Headlines:
    They are happily supporting hybrid 340+bhp with egt's sub 900'c which is fine with me & better than any manifold I have experienced before. They should be durable and reliable as the extreme temp stress tests confirmed.
    The lupo daily remains fine, zero issues, 372bhp/320lbft from its "package", which of course includes the chinafold gen2

#98 ibizacupra, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  19. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

yet another hybrid car just finished mapping yesterday on an s3
    gen2 version updated exhaust manifold, usual 3" DP etc
    water meth, BBT hybrid etc

[​IMG]

....and as is usual for this manifold, very nice low egts for the power its making from its k04 framed hybrid

[​IMG]

#99 ibizacupra, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  20. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Here's a splattering of assorted hybrids, ALL running our gen2 exhaust manifold, all of them running sub 900'c egts. Yes there's a variance between them, as supporting mods varied slightly, and the engines are not all created equal. What is the same is the b5 intake and b5 exhaust mani however.. The lupo remains "special" but its build spec is unique and the engine seems to be "a goodun". [​IMG]

#100 ibizacupra, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014