New Ibiza 1.6TDI CR - Track Grey

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi Guys,

Getting a new Ibiza 1.6TDI CR. Haven't had much time to do research but anyone here got one? What did you like/not like about it? Also do you think getting ESP and the 17" alloys is a good option or will it ruin the ride somewhat?

Finally what are the common problems with the mk5 platform?

Cheers!
Maz

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Had the 19tdi, only out for a fews months till the 16 tdi came out, I would go 17" alloys had them on mine, looked good, after 9 monts I decided to P/X the ibiza for a leon tdi fr, I had to get an older one as not a lot of money in the pot (needed some thing bigger).
If I was to buy another Ibiza Iwould go for the 5 door, over all a great little car, after 9 months still looked and drove liked new.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
the 17's are fine for ride, my local roads are a joke, probably the worst in the country and it's bareable and the trade off for the much better looks is well worth it imo,

I've not got ESP (decided CC would be more useful in the long run) though i've not heard of anyone commenting on excesive interference from the system.

I've got the 1.6crtdi and it's a fantastic engine, plenty of grunt when needed, and economical when conditions allow.

Also consider the folding mirrors, for £50 they really are a nice little extra.

As robin said, the 5door is much more practical than the 3 door if you need to transport anything other than yourself on a regular basis (and looks better proportioned imho)

Issues: (that i've had/heard about)
* condesation in the rear light cluster, (hardly major but you'd've thought they'd've sorted that out by now

* The 1.6crtdi takes a fair while to warm up the interior of a morning, about 8-10 minutes of driving before it starts to feel warm in the cabin, and if the windscreen and windows are fogged up then it takes them about 7 minutes or so of gentle revving/idling to get them clear in the morning for me.

* The boot handle/seat badge, gets sticky in cold weather, a few squirts of wd40 sorts it out. Occasioanlly it'll take two attempts at opening the boot to get it open properly (i think i'm the only person with this issue though?)

* Squeaky steering column on very bouncy roads, intermittant issue, mines settled down again.

* The front drivers side washer jets aren't aligned as well as they could be.

Other comments/thoughts:
The seats in the Sport are fantastic, i'd've liked adjustable lumbar support but it's no biggy, as they really do keep you in place.

There isn't very much "go" in the engine at all below 1500rpm, it'll pootle round town but if i try extra hard to avoid getting the turbo on boost i've noticed i do accelerate much slower than other cars (conversely, let the turbo work and it'll leave most other cars in it's class for dead)

The handling is fantastic, there's bucketloads of grip (i've not found the point that it lets go yet) it's sharp to turn in, and it feels engaging (that said, on the test drive when i took it easy it felt a little bit soft at distant from the road, which it does if you're being sedate with it, but give it some stick and it comes alive)

The boot is huge, and if you put the seats down (note here: if you want the back seats flat, you have to put the front seats right forward and take the rear headrests off, which is a bit uncomfy if your 6ft odd like me) but it does mean you can get a 31" CRT TV in the back, complete with matching stand, and surround soundspeakers as well as other odds and ends.

The sound system is impressive, i like my sound quality and i'm in no rush to upgrade the system.

It looks miles better than any of the alternatives, (corsa, punto, fiesta, polo, mazda2, clio) and is much less common to boot.

John33

Oct 12, 2009
Earth
[QUOTE

* The boot handle/seat badge, gets sticky in cold weather, a few squirts of wd40 sorts it out. Occasioanlly it'll take two attempts at opening the boot to get it open properly (i think i'm the only person with this issue though?)

[/QUOTE]

I have read other posts about this issue and I'm sure "Techie" said there was an updated part number - so maybe a fix has been done :)

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
hi, mate i agree about the warming up inside, takes ages and ages to get warm and the window to clear. also i find the suspension quite crashy over bumps. Having said that its a great car and i love it!

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
Whatever you do, GET THE 17" ALLOYS. The Car looks pants in my opinion with the 16" alloys. There's another red SC in Grantham with the 16" alloys and mine looks so much better. There's a noticeable gap in the wheel arch with the 16"ers.

I've just done 1000 miles in my 1.6TDI SC. I got the ESP + XDS and I've no issues with it whatsoever (to be honest, I don't actually know what it does.. let's me see ghosts or something right?). The automatic hill brake is pretty nifty if you're a lazy driver who doesn't apply the handbrake waiting at a traffic light on a hill.

I've only got a few issues with the car that really annoy me:

1) You have to manually tell your wingmirrors to fold up every time by using a cheap little plastic knob I'm always afraid of breaking
2) If your plastic knob for the wingmirrors is changed to put the mirrors down again and the ignition is off and then you turn the ignition on then the mirros do not fold down
3) I got the iPod prep kit and with my iPhone the currently playing track does not update when I listen to a whole tracking after skipping the previous track
4) The bluetooth refuses to recognise the word 'Store' as 'Store' and much prefers to think you said 'Star 4'. The only way to get it to work is to say 'Stur-ry'

But, aside from those negatives, the actual car is awesome. Not as fast as my last car by a long shot (but I'm still not used to using a diesel's sweet spots in the rev range), but it's very economical. I've got 49MPG out of it over 1000 miles average and have put in about £150 of fuel. Much better than £40 a week that I was spending on my last car. Driving carefully I get 52-55MPG, but the car's still new, so I'm occasionally going hell for leather with the lovely diesel torque.

I've been regularly checking my oil and liquid levels, and they haven't gone down a drop. I'd got it in my head that diesels usually burn a lot of fuel when new - aparently not with the SC TDI.

I got my car Autoglymed, and it was definitely worth it. When I wash it with the provided liquid and it comes out looking as new again. So definitely a +1 for Autoglym.

I'm not sure what the issue with the warming up in the mornings is. I've got climate control so I just still it at 26oC and in a few mins it's noticeably warmer, then I drop it back down to 22-23oC and I'm happy. And the demister is awesome. I find if I get any mist on the inside of my windscreen, the demister gets rid of it in seconds.

Apart from the few picky issues, the car is awesome. You definitely won't regret it!

patnj

3) I got the iPod prep kit and with my iPhone the currently playing track does not update when I listen to a whole tracking after skipping the previous track
when new - aparently not with SC

Sorry to hijack this thread, but was interested to read that you have the iPhone partially working with factory fitted iPod kit.

My question is how??? Have you modified the Seat cradle accessory?? Which iPhone model??

Once again sorry for hijacking the thread, just desparate to get iPhone working with factory iPod prep kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
Hi. I've not modded anything. It's the cradle that willoughbys supplied to me. It doex come up every time saying the device is not supported, but it works.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.