New Ibiza EcoTSI 150PS vs TDI 105PS Fuel Economy - Real World Help Please!

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Hi everyone,

It's been many years since I was a regular on here, but I was active from about 2002-2010 and probably had 4 SEAT's myself with another couple in the family.

My last Ibiza was a MK4 TDI Sport, but we're currently looking at leasing a pretty high spec new Ibiza FR SC for the other half who does 22K+ miles a year.

Given the mileage, good fuel economy is essential. As it'll be leased, road tax costs etc are not really a factor here, so our big choice is what engine to go for. She's coming from a Mini Cooper D with a six speed box, and alas in the current Ibiza line up this is a problem as there is no six speed option TDI. In fact, the only TDI option is the 3 cylinder 1.4 105PS. The 3 cylinder point isn't much of a concern - I ran an Audi A2 for years and loved its 3-pot TDI. The petrol 1.4 EcoTSI 150PS is our other contender as it offers a six speed box, the most power, but a combined MPG of 58.9 as opposed to the TDI's 72.4 MPG - quite a difference which can't be ignored given fuel is going to be our main cost.

So, here's the question that I'm hoping some Ibiza owners with either of these engines can help with:

Due to the recent facelift of the facelift, and the changes in engine line up this brought we're really struggling to find real world economy figures for the two engines - can you help?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

MattH345

Mar 7, 2016
You might struggle to get real world mpg of the 1.4 as I've only seen 2 people on here who have taken delivery due to the long wait. I pick mine up Wednesday and can put a figure up but obviously that will before it run in.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
You might struggle to get real world mpg of the 1.4 as I've only seen 2 people on here who have taken delivery due to the long wait. I pick mine up Wednesday and can put a figure up but obviously that will before it run in.

Hi Matt - which 1.4 do you mean, the petrol ACT? Any figures at all will help really.

We used to get 55 out of the Mini, so ordinarily would expect the 1.4 TDI to be similar or a little better, but the petrol ACT could be a real option if in the real world it's not massively lower.

MattH345

Mar 7, 2016
Hi Matt - which 1.4 do you mean, the petrol ACT? Any figures at all will help really.

We used to get 55 out of the Mini, so ordinarily would expect the 1.4 TDI to be similar or a little better, but the petrol ACT could be a real option if in the real world it's not massively lower.

Sorry meant ecotsi. I'm hoping for 40/45 anything is better then the 28 I get from my vxr.

BenzUK

Mar 14, 2016
I had the 1.2 TDI Ecomotive, avg 63-65mpg, (SPEC says 80+mpg (never going to happen) ) mainly motorway and 50mph average speed areas I was managing near to 68mpg.

Now I have a Cupra so thats all out the window (ha)

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Thanks guys, keep the info coming!

Her journey is mainly a mix of 50-70 mph A-roads and dual carriageways with occasional motorway journeys thrown in.

Was the 1.2 TDI a 4 cylinder?

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
i own a 1.4 tsi act, the MPG is ok nothing great if im hones, you will only ever see 50+ when your on curise control at 25mph with clear roads, you should be expecting more realistically around 32mpg, thats rom owning it over a year. but some folks may have better mpg than myself

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
i own a 1.4 tsi act, the MPG is ok nothing great if im hones, you will only ever see 50+ when your on curise control at 25mph with clear roads, you should be expecting more realistically around 32mpg, thats rom owning it over a year. but some folks may have better mpg than myself

Bloody hell, you must be hoofing it all the time? I never get less than 40 from a tankful. I'd be mortified with 32 unless it was all just short hops and stuck in traffic etc.

BenzUK

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks guys, keep the info coming!

Her journey is mainly a mix of 50-70 mph A-roads and dual carriageways with occasional motorway journeys thrown in.

Was the 1.2 TDI a 4 cylinder?

3 cylinder I believe, if its fuel saving your really after then this car certainly does it. :clap:

If your looking for a trade off with enjoyable performance and fuel economy then perhaps not. The 1.2tdi eco engine is quite sluggish, and its had a few recalls.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
3 cylinder I believe, if its fuel saving your really after then this car certainly does it. :clap:

If your looking for a trade off with enjoyable performance and fuel economy then perhaps not. The 1.2tdi eco engine is quite sluggish, and its had a few recalls.

I don't think it's even an option any more!

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Bloody hell, you must be hoofing it all the time? I never get less than 40 from a tankful. I'd be mortified with 32 unless it was all just short hops and stuck in traffic etc.
I have always thought there has been something seriously wrong with my mpg and I don't have a heavy foot all of the time

Even when sensible it's just 32mpg and that's the truth

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

MattH345

Mar 7, 2016
Just averaged 42.4mpg on drive home from the dealer (110 miles). Mixed driving of country lanes, towns and motorways occasionally testing out the acceleration from the roundabouts! All in all I'm well pleased with 1.4ecoTSI.

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
I have always thought there has been something seriously wrong with my mpg and I don't have a heavy foot all of the time

Even when sensible it's just 32mpg and that's the truth

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

If I really take my time I've had 52 a couple of times. That's on a 20 mile run home from work on a mixture of roads. That's being unnaturally careful though.

Have you got the Eco trainer on your SPS? If you drive like it encourages you too and are still getting low 30's I'd be off to the dealer.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Depends on your point of view. Quite a difference in performance too, that's the conundrum.

Exactly the 1.4 ecotsi is 0-60 in 7.6 secs compared to the 9.9 in the diesel - the petrol has the same torque as the diesel too.

The petrol is whisper quiet as well - diesel not so much.

I'm happy to trade off fuel consumption against performance - depends what you want I guess.

alijay036

Oct 15, 2011
Hertfordshire
I am averaging about 42 to 47 at the moment, that's in a 1.4 ACT 150PS with just over 3k on it, I had the previous 1.4 and was averaging about the same maybe slightly less. The bonus with the new 1.4's is that it shows when it drops into 2 cylinder mode, so that will help with fuel econ as well.

Hope that helps