New Leon Cupra , I changed my mind now i've seen it for real

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
ZBOYD said:
Look out for a suspicious bloke in a dirty long coat, with sweaty palms and holding a video camera. It'll be Syphon. :whistle:

I'd get there before him, if you want to see it as SEAT intended, it'll look a bit wet and sticky after Syphons come and gone :happy:
Yuk, I'm off there now so I'll take along some bin bags to use as seat covers!

we'll be there tomorrow too :)

that purple is just gorgeous, my last Mondeo was that colour (aubergine)
works well on some cars, the rest of the ford range looked pap in it, but the 24v Ghia X estate with all the chrome sorrounds made it even better.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
A few more pics and comments from today...

Here's a few pics I took (doesn't add much really). Must say the aubergine-like colour does work well and my general impressions were that the cupra does look good in the flesh. It is not trying too hard, which for me is a good thing. Not quite so nice in the yellow. Very minor negatives: I'm not sure about the centre part of the steering wheel or the back of the seats.

Cupra1.jpg

Cupra2.jpg

Cupra3.jpg

Cupra4.jpg

Is this next one anyone on here?! Looks like someone has just promised their partner a nice new toy in return for nocturnal favours!

Cupra5-1.jpg

I thought Honda had the most impressive stand at the show - an awesome display where they had done a real life 'exploded' view of an F1 car with all the parts suspended on wires so it looked like they were floating in space like a top notch 3D mechanics manual. In contrast to the Cupra I thought the Civic R looked tacky (perhaps even more so because it was in white). A real disappointment - I thought the S-version looked much nicer in black and with a less tacky arrangement with the rear lights. Only got pics of the R concept here:

Civic2.jpg

CivicR.jpg

Perhaps it reflect my more conservative approach but I quite liked the Mazda 6 MPS. The interior was right up my street (sorry no pics). The only thing that lets it down for me are the rear lights - I don't really like anything that has shiney bits hinting of Lexus lights I'm afraid.

MPS.jpg

All in all a good, spacious venue and (because I could walk there) I was able to partake of a couple of refreshing lagers on the waterfront afterwards.:cheers:

Last edited:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I've just got back......

I'm going to have some tea and will post my views / pics later.

Just to keep you in suspense......

Scott

P.S. Try not to slip in the wet patch :whistle:

andycupra

status subject to change
they are growing on me...

although i stil think what the hell is thet plastic thing across the bottom of the windscreen and the wipers in the pilar thing i dont like.

love the colour. will this be a colour option though?
they usually end up giving less colour options for the quicker models...
and no other model has this colour...

Last edited:

El Vic

Cup Racing R Legend
Mar 6, 2005
UK - Middlesex
Just came from the Motorshow. I was looking forward to see the Cupra in the flesh! I've spent quite some time on the SEAT stand to observe it inisde and out.

First of all, the exterior. I think that SEAT should have offered more exclusivity for a top of the range car. It looks good, but it's almost identical to the FR. What's the point in offering a Cupra that looks like the model below? They could have added subtle differences like small sideskirts, different bumpers and rear spoiler, separate exhaust pipes. It doesn't look special enough. :(

Secondly, the interior. Two words: very disapointing.:headhurt: The trim is cheap. It doesn't feel right for a car of this category. The plastics of my LCR look and feel better. And that horrible hollow plasticky central console :confused: ! My God, that's appalling. Also, SEAT should really offer leather interior as an option. It would make a massive difference. It certainly does on other cars (Focus ST, Megane 225). The seats are confortable, but the lumbar support is not adjustable and is better on the LCR Recaros, so you would feel the difference on long journeys. From the back, the front seats look cheap once again, as the back is made of plastic. No ISO cd player, which means good luck to put a decent stereo. Same general dashboard as the standard Leon, which is a faux pas.

I'm glad I saw it, cause now I know I don't want one. I will happily keep and enjoy my LCR until something worth replacing it comes up!:)

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
just came back from motorshow

the cupra looks nice from the outside loving the dark purple but some of the interior is a bit nasty,
plastic on the back of the seats looks some kind of driving game arcade machine or something.

fr 18" alloys look better than the cupra`s

but the brembos where gorgeous

no way i would part with 20k for it though.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Well here's what I think about the car.

We headed straight for the Seat stand of course when we arrived and I began to grin like a schoolboy at Christmas when I caught a glimpse of them and we approached.

At first it was a bit of an anti-climax when we got there - probably just because I had built up to it so much - and had already seen Mork's excellent exhaustive pics covering almost every angle. :)

I like the black with the purple fleks, but in the flesh I don't think it does the car justice. It doesn't show the cars lines / grilles well enough. They need to be allowed to stand out.

The brembos make the R's look titchy.

The wheels look a lot bigger in the flesh than in pics - I'm not 100% convinced by them yet though - I think I prefer the optional 18"s on the FR and the aero kit if I'm honest.

The interior is awesome IMHO - love the seats, wheels, driving position, gear knob etc. etc. I think it was the best interior out of the ones I sat in by far - ST / 3 MPS / honda sport.

The visit has confirmed I deffo want the car (I know that wasn't really in any doubt) and has helped me come closer to a colour choice - either red or silver.

Roll on the day they start taking orders. Race ya to it. ;) :cheeky:

Scott

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I think I like the wheels, although after watching your steady cam video (were you panting hard?) how they look seems to be dependant on what angle they're viewed from.

I wonder if they're "dished" like the Ibiza Cupra to fit round the Brembos?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Feel said:
I think I like the wheels, although after watching your steady cam video (were you panting hard?) how they look seems to be dependant on what angle they're viewed from.

I wonder if they're "dished" like the Ibiza Cupra to fit round the Brembos?

You don't want to know what he told me he was doing (camera has anti shake)

wheel dish images..... shadows give a good indication

http://www.seatcupra.net/m0rk/temp/IMG_3468.jpg
http://www.seatcupra.net/m0rk/temp/IMG_3509.jpg (this one is 3.4Mb)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
never driven models, likely not finished production springs - and i'll bet they have the transport packing in them still (most cars there did)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I did wonder whether they did. A bit daft though, you'd think they'd want it to look it's best...

[broken record]Just need to find out what tubby's on it now[/broken record]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.