New Leon Cupra , I changed my mind now i've seen it for real

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Right went to the Motor show yesterday and of course I observed the new Cupra very closely. All I can say is...I do like it but it’s a little to similar to the FR.

The interior is good and I'd say better than the Focus ST and the VXR in terms of quality. Exterior.. I like it but again it didn’t have the wow factor I was expecting from the top of the range model. They really should of made it a lot more distinctive.

Anyway I am sure you will get a good idea of what the new Cupra is about anyway.

The actual star of the show is the Mazda 3 MPS. It really is leagues ahead of the VXR, Leon and the Focus ST (I know I was shocked as I thought it would be a focus in disguise). Everything is a grade above in terms of quality, plastics, leather, seats, doors...everything is better. Doors are solid, leather is very well put together, dash is solid...I just was amazed that I am very tempted to trade in the Leon and change (I know I don’t want to leave seat )

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
jonjay said:
The actual star of the show is the Mazda 3 MPS. It really is leagues ahead of the VXR, Leon and the Focus ST (I know I was shocked as I thought it would be a focus in disguise). Everything is a grade above in terms of quality, plastics, leather, seats, doors...everything is better. Doors are solid, leather is very well put together, dash is solid...I just was amazed that I am very tempted to trade in the Leon and change (I know I don’t want to leave seat )

Interesting thoughts on the 3 MPS. I thought it was sh1te. :)

The boot is smaller than our ibiza - by quite a lot. It's fukc ugly and just looks like all the other mazda's on the road. The minute I sat in it I thought the interior was a mess and looked horrible. The wheels are bland as bland can be. There are no flashy brake callipers (a must on any hot hatch). Oh - and they want 20k for it? The only thing it has going for it is its speed.

I won't be toucing it with a barge pole. :no:

All IMHO of course. ;)

Scott

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
fife, scotland
that is the fcuking blolocks, i'm starting to warm to the new leon but that is fcukin fantastic. god damn it lottery i deserve a win right now, jesus that colour is beautiful. please give me one for free SEAT please. :drool:

DANNY H

Mar 27, 2006
Ipswich
I'm still wishing it had a bit more impact and stood out from the FR a bit more, i don't dislike it by any means but was hoping for more. Love the colour and the wheels, hoping it'll grow on me but i dont think it stands out like the outgoing Cupra and R do.

CupraJay

20v T - Its where its at!
Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
New Cupra...HUGE DISAPOINTMENT. The spec, nothing special really. And the styling, way to understated and boring...As for the interior, the FR interior looked better.

Deffinatly wont be buying one, and in my opinion now, either the FR, or the TFSI would be a more economical buy. And its only a remap away from 260bhp.

Very dissapointed with the new cupra in general really. Deffinatly wont be getting one now. I gues its back to original plan of a new elise.

Must say, that new Type R looked lovely.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Jay GT said:
New Cupra...HUGE DISAPOINTMENT. The spec, nothing special really. And the styling, way to understated and boring...As for the interior, the FR interior looked better.

Deffinatly wont be buying one, and in my opinion now, either the FR, or the TFSI would be a more economical buy. And its only a remap away from 260bhp.

Very dissapointed with the new cupra in general really. Deffinatly wont be getting one now. I gues its back to original plan of a new elise.

Must say, that new Type R looked lovely.
The Type R looks wicked. Only thing put me off is that it uses same engine. They should have tuned it to the speed of the s2000.

cojjer

old enough to know better
Sep 28, 2005
Leicester innit
Seems like all the new hot hatches are a bit subdued, styling wise. The ST and MkV Gti aren't anything special to look at, compared to the standard cars. The VXR has a bit more of a sporty stance, but not much and now the new Leon Cupra - not bad, but could have been so much more. I think it's only Honda who have really made any sort of style statement, with their new type R.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
New Cupra still does nothing for me, way too similar to the whole altea/toledo/leon range with cloned mini-MPV styling. The Brembo brakes are not standard either, pay extra for those, 345mm big discs though.

"The front ventilated discs are sized at 345x30 mm, which is larger than those used on the rest of the range. And if that was not enough, the Cupra can also be fitted with an even more capable Brembo brake system as an option."

I'll be looking towards the Octavia vRS, Focus ST and Astra VXR route, definately NOT a new Leon. :(

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
dangel said:
Well let's hope they're not as drastic as SEAT's accountants then..
In the flesh I thought the Type R concept looked tacky compared to the Type S Civic - but then I prefer more subtle styling anyway. Personally I think there's too much that looks plasticy in the 'sportier' models from a lot of manufacturers these days (Ford ST included). Prefer things too look considered and refined rather than trying too hard to please. For me the new Cupra R (exterior-wise) does OK (not so sure on interior). Prefer people to think "hmm that looks nice, I bet it goes a bit" than "what a to$$er"!

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
ZBOYD said:
As its going to built in the UK, its not like they can pay the workforce in rice. :whistle:

UK? Oh bugger, it's going to be expensive!

Not going to be "hand built", "exclusively" by Seat Sport in Spain like the LCR then (ahem).