New Leon Cupra , I changed my mind now i've seen it for real

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
ZBOYD said:
As its going to built in the UK, its not like they can pay the workforce in rice. :whistle:

Beats paella for building Leons (well, so long as it's not summer cos they all feck off for 3 months leaving your car on the production line - i'm not bitter, honest) and i'll warrant they're built a darn sight better too. As for the new Cupra I wish they'd spent some cash on the interior (autocar felt the interior was cheap in this weeks issue) and perhaps stretched to a new front bumper.
And isn't the Cupra essentially a concept car atm too?

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
GrayT said:
In the flesh I thought the Type R concept looked tacky compared to the Type S Civic - but then I prefer more subtle styling anyway. Personally I think there's too much that looks plasticy in the 'sportier' models from a lot of manufacturers these days (Ford ST included). Prefer things too look considered and refined rather than trying too hard to please. For me the new Cupra R (exterior-wise) does OK (not so sure on interior). Prefer people to think "hmm that looks nice, I bet it goes a bit" than "what a to$$er"!

I'm drawn to things that 'look a bit different' but i get what you're saying - I think the big success of the LCR was down to how in balanced sporty with staid looks-wise but then again, the interior didn't strike me as particularly subtle. The civic certainly couldn't be considered dull this time around and that does carry over to the interior. I'm not sure (externally) whether the back works too well but it does stand out against the (fairly) bland competition. Interior's pretty funky too.
I don't like the way the focus' lines were dumbed down - to me it looks like a leon (mk 1) hit with a hammer in a few places (or an ugly stick) - but the ST is still a tempting package nonetheless.
I'm pretty sure SEAT will sort out at least a new front bumper for the production Cupra but i'm very sceptical they'll do anything about the appauling interior (then again, I guess subaru get away with it - but then they've got more performance to make up for it) in time for production.