New Leon Cupra "weight reduction"

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
The press release states:

"In order to successfully transfer all of the engine’s power to the road, the suspension elements of the León’s proven and effective agile chassis have been adapted, while its weight has been reduced. The power steering system has also been modified in order to give the Cupra an even sharper feel compared with other Leóns."

I wonder what they've done / taken away to achieve this? :think:

/Discuss ;)

Scott

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Syphon said:
The press release states:

"In order to successfully transfer all of the engine’s power to the road, the suspension elements of the León’s proven and effective agile chassis have been adapted, while its weight has been reduced. The power steering system has also been modified in order to give the Cupra an even sharper feel compared with other Leóns."

I wonder what they've done / taken away to achieve this? :think:

/Discuss ;)

Scott
I'm guessing lighter wheels to reduce the unsprung mass or some of the sound deadening, which will also have the side effect of making the car sound more "sporty". They're probably also just changed the steering gearing or assistance which coupled with the lighter wheels will give the car more feel.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
I think I read somewhere in the S3 press release that they had used some aluminium parts in the front suspension, my betting is these are on the Cupra as well...

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
Maybe gone the same route as Nissan and Renault with the plastic wings and bonnet. Would save quite a bit of weight with that.

Cupra_HKG

By the way!

the León Cupra is expected to be available in the UK in January 2007. At present there are no plans for a DSG version in the UK.

Kind regards from Spain,

SEAT Press Office

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members