NEW Leon FR mini review and PICS

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Priced FAR too close to the GTI if you ask me. As understated as the MK5 GTI is, it has everything you want in a hot-hatch..... and its impeccably built with a superb interior that knocks spots off the new Leon. It makes much more sense to spend the extra £1500 on the GTI because its virtually guaranteed to hold its value much much better. Just watch the FR value take a hit when the Cupra arrives.

I love my Cupra, but they arent doing much to persuade me to buy the new one. Dislike the styling, not a fan of the inside, and id much rather buy a GTI or wati for the new Type-R...

proaxis2

Sorry if it's been covered but I take it the arm rests on the Leons are dealer fitted options only?

Cheers

Adam

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
chris_m said:
Priced FAR too close to the GTI if you ask me. As understated as the MK5 GTI is, it has everything you want in a hot-hatch..... and its impeccably built with a superb interior that knocks spots off the new Leon. It makes much more sense to spend the extra £1500 on the GTI because its virtually guaranteed to hold its value much much better. Just watch the FR value take a hit when the Cupra arrives.

I love my Cupra, but they arent doing much to persuade me to buy the new one. Dislike the styling, not a fan of the inside, and id much rather buy a GTI or wati for the new Type-R...

Dont think the FR Tdi will take that much for a hit since its the top of the range diesel!

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Was at Pennine Seat last night dropping the LCR off for a bit of TLC and happened to notice two new Leon FRs. One in the showroom is yellow TFSI FR on optional 18s and demonstrator outside is grey TDI FR on optional 18s. Price on the TFSI was £17495. Both cars looked very nice indeed.

Norman, one of the sales managers, threw me the keys to the TDI FR and invited me to take it for a spin. Even though it was fresh off the delivery truck, and only had 12 miles on the clock, it felt nice and smooth and powerful. This was the first time I'd driven a new Leon and was fairly impressed. The dash, although more modern than the old Leon, seemed to be made from cheap plastics and the glovebox especially wasn't very sturdy. It also took a few minutes to work out where Seat had moved all the buttons! The FR sporting touches improve the cabin, and the bodykit really sorts out the exterior. On the whole I think the makeover is very subtle. I would have preferred some larger skirts although the Cupra may have these. The FR also had ESP (is this standard?).

The FR rode very well on the 18s, and the ride in general was much smoother and less crashy / wallowy than the LCR (to be expected). It seems a lot roomier up front and there is much more adjustment in the wheel / seats, so getting comfy wasn't a problem (I am 6' 6"). However, as many people have mentioned before, the huge rear view mirror and raked windscreen really obscure front visibility.

On the whole I was impressed. It's the first time I've driven a hot Diesel (last diesel was a TDCI mondeo) and it really flies. It even sounds good when you give it a bit of stick.

The main problem I have with the whole FR thing was summed up when we left the garage. Right next to the Leon FR was an Altea FR. Same shape, same bumpers, same exhaust, same mirrors. It just looks too similar. Hopefully the Cupra will look different enough from the rest of the models in the range to warrant a purchase!

If anyone has any questions about the FR then PM me / reply here and I'll do my best to answer them based on what I gleaned from my test drive.

Thanks again to Pennine.

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
The thing that never impresses me about SEAT is the number of offers that they put on cars, just to get them off the forecourt!

MK4 Ibiza being the classic example. Simon in Agnews even said himself that the good finance deals on the Ibiza shot its resale value to bits!!!

The more and more i look at the new Leon, and new SEATs in general, the less inclined i am to go back! they all look the same!! To the point where im trying to talk the wife into a VW Jetta instead of the Altea she seems to have her heart set on!!

£18.5k is alot of money for what your actually getting. That Focus ST, Astra VXR and is even very close on GTi money. All of which would blow the socks of a 170 derv!

As much as it pains me to say it (being a SEAT/VAG derv lover) i think if it was my money id be looking at the options above, or even an Evo etc!

As a general question, why spend £18.5k + on the Leon FR when the special edition has the kit, wheels, lower insurance etc for over £2.5k less. All i can see different is the 30bhp!! which is insignificant as my dad has a mapped 140 Golf that goes like fcuk!!

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
also forgot to add...the same engine in a new golf, with 3 doors is only 500quid dearer!! I know what car id rather have!!

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
If the Fr diesel is 170 BHP, What will the Cupra diesel be??

Did the FR have a FMIC?

Cant believe that the Cupra diesel would just be a Remapped FR with bigger brakes?? :shrug:

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
after driving the FR on sunday i felt disapointed
it never felt quick smooth but not quick ride was ok handing was a bit loose when i gave it some round corrners & roundabouts
so i wont be changing my MK1 cupra for it BUT maybe for the new cupra when its out

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Ruddmeister said:
No Diesel Cupra announced or expected AFAIK, petrol only like proper cars ;)

:blink: Thats Crap :(

I was hoping for a 200+ Diesel (pre remap!!)

Oh well looks like I can but my deposit towards a Big turbo for mine.

Shame if there's not going to be a cupra diesel!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
DIFT said:
:blink: Thats Crap :(

I was hoping for a 200+ Diesel (pre remap!!)

There is no Diesel MK1 LCR though

And 170bhp in the VAG range is the top spec engine, always unlikely the Cupra would get a 'special' engine.

I'm slightly dissapointed the petrol only got the 240 Tfsi not the 260 tfsi.......still a remap will sort that

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Ruddmeister said:
There is no Diesel MK1 LCR though

And 170bhp in the VAG range is the top spec engine, always unlikely the Cupra would get a 'special' engine.

I'm slightly dissapointed the petrol only got the 240 Tfsi not the 260 tfsi.......still a remap will sort that

I guess :(

Has the cupra got a different Turbo to the Golf GTi then?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Ruddmeister said:
Dunno :shrug:

Doubt it.

Best look a beast then, to compensate for it!
I guess we'll have to wait for tuesday!

Not that i'll get one, im sticking with my Hybrid Tractor ;) :happy:

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Ive got my second test drive booked for Saturday morning just to make sure. :funk:

At a different dealer just to see what price I can get this one for.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
i drive a 54 plate leon fr tdi. when you see one close up or from a distance they look great, general shape, bodykit, wheels etc really set it off ... they look even better on the move :)

i've seen a few new style leons over the past couple of months and they just don't do it for me, which is disappointing as i'd hoped to go for fr tdi next year :( . i know i've not seen an fr in the metal yet, but as the ones i've seen do nothing for me i ain't holding out much hope. when i see pics of the fr it just looks a bit high / mpv-ish to me.

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Ok went for my second test drive today just to make sure I was making the right decision. Today confirmed that I want it

Also checked the FMIC, it has one, its behind the rad and is the whole size of the opening on the bumper.
If you look at the edge of the read you can see the FMIC.

Also got a better price than the last dealer.[B)]
18s, bluetooth and armrest.

And after seeing the cupra is a little understated the FR seems a better option!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Been upto Ted Johnsons SEAT today, had a drive out in their TFSI FR, i've come away very impressed, much as i was when i drove a TDI Sport version of the new Leon, a couple of months back.

I love the way it handles, the interior space and seating position are brilliant, and even for a large bloke (cough) such as myself, i felt very comfortable and a pleasurable place to be.

The car had delivery mileage, so it was very tight still, but the engine is powerful, very smooth with fast delivery, and its quite happy to put a spurt on, with very little noticible lag, even without knocking it down a gear.

On the road, the car feels well planted on the road, inspiring much more confidence to chuck it about. The multilink suspension, irons out the bumps with ease, yet stiff enough not to roll about all over the place, for a standard setup its very good.

The interior cloth seems hard wearing, and the seats are like the TDi/TFSi Sport before it, very supportive, and look great. I don't agree with comments about the interior plastics, the smooth look may give the illusion of cheapness, but fit and finish are above and beyond my Leon R.

The stereo once setup, was good also, certainly no worse than my Leon R's standard speakers, sounded very good with the radio, no cd to try out, but it was good enough for me.

I liked the FR a lot, but im looking forward to the Cupra, im already sold on the new Leon, i'll be placing an order very soon ;)

Thanks to Nigel and Chris at TedJs for the test drive, we had an enjoyable afternoon in Barnsley :)

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
As an objective outsider having run 2 Leons for 5 years and having driven a 'new' petrol sport Leon from Ted Johnsons I can say that the new car didnt really do 'it' for me. The worst thing about the car was the front visability through the 'quarterlights' at the base of the windscreen. These really did spoil the complete outlook of the car from a drivers perspective and it actually felt more like an MPV in vision. That said, the fluidics of the chassis shone through and the steering was a lot better than the old R ever was, but it just didnt hit the spot for some reason.
Im sure the new Cupra will do the trick and having seen a body kitted version of the new Leon on the road, Im sure it will look the danglies, but I hope its dynamics detract from the 'looking out of a London eye capsule environment'.

Chri5B

Scraping my undertray...
Oct 7, 2002
Staffs
www.cxi.org.uk
andy_gdon said:
also forgot to add...the same engine in a new golf, with 3 doors is only 500quid dearer!! I know what car id rather have!!

Is that spec-for-spec though? I looked on vw.co.uk at the Golf GT and 2-zone climate was a £700 option. Cruise was another £270 IIRC.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.