New Leon Headlights

PlatCupraR

Ex Plat cupra R owner
Mar 23, 2006
South East England
Not sure if anyone has upgraded there headlight bulbs yet, but if anyone has how and earth do you change the full beam bulbs as I have tried and found it impossible to do.

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Plat

I'm picking mine up at the weekend and will find out for you.

What bulbs are you fitting? I've got Philips GT150s in my current car (dipped beam) and there are a massive improvement on standard, my last car had Xenons and the GT150s are almost (not quite) as good as them. I might try the Blue Vision Ultra this time.

Rob

PlatCupraR

Ex Plat cupra R owner
Mar 23, 2006
South East England
Sorted, changed them yesterday with the use of a mirror, I have installed Super Brilliance bulbs massive improvement on standard although the side light bulbs spoil the overall colour as they are yellow.

Shaun

J500AND

Altea DSG on 17s! Oh yes!
Apr 21, 2003
Bristol
Visit site
From the pictures I have seen, it would appear the new Leon uses the prism lens projector headlamps. Is this correct? If so, ideal for a xenon conversion :doh:

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
J500AND said:
From the pictures I have seen, it would appear the new Leon uses the prism lens projector headlamps. Is this correct? If so, ideal for a xenon conversion :doh:

Only the ones specced with Xenons.
Have a look at the ones in the gallery or the ones at your local stealer - normal headlamps under a cover.

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
PlatCupraR said:
Sorted, changed them yesterday with the use of a mirror, I have installed Super Brilliance bulbs massive improvement on standard although the side light bulbs spoil the overall colour as they are yellow.

Shaun

Right , any chance of me sounding like I know what I'm talking about is going out of the window.

What's all this about changing headlights. I'd love to have some of those cool blue ones but I presume they are the hugely expensive Xenon things and need (a) wads of dosh and (b) some technical know-how to fix.

If either of the above are untrue can anyone advise in (near) baby speak what I need to do?

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
dchbrown said:
yeah its a bit of con in the brochure. if you look all the cars have the xenon projectors on them but no washers. theyve been busy with photoshop me thinks :)

SEAT are notorious for photoshopping their brochures. You should see the Ibiza brochure - instead of the tall looking egg shaped car with wheels set too far into the arches we all know and love, they make it out to look like a sleek coupe in many pictures, with the wheels sat nice and flush with the arches.

darrellr said:
Right , any chance of me sounding like I know what I'm talking about is going out of the window.

What's all this about changing headlights. I'd love to have some of those cool blue ones but I presume they are the hugely expensive Xenon things and need (a) wads of dosh and (b) some technical know-how to fix.

If either of the above are untrue can anyone advise in (near) baby speak what I need to do?

You can either purchase uprated 'blue look' bulbs from one of the online suppliers (do a search on here for the best ones) or you can buy them and even have them fitted as SEAT accessories by your friendly local stealer.
If you want genuine Xenon discharge units though, that come with washers you will have to cough up 700 quid when you order your new car.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
The best upgrade bulbs for the money are generally accepted as being the Philps vision plus bulbs, give you 50% more light, a much whiter light, and allow you to see around 20% further range. Autoexpress did a test of all the aftermarket bulbs last year. You can have the blue look bulbs, but they're not as bright as the vision plus ones. All of them can be found (along with the reviews) at www.powerbulbs.co.uk

I fitted the visionplus bulbs (H7) to my Leon this weekend as I found myself on an unlit road last week for the first time, straining to see what was coming. I had them on my old Golf and they really did make a difference.

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
carl4x4 said:
I fitted the visionplus bulbs (H7) to my Leon this weekend as I found myself on an unlit road last week for the first time, straining to see what was coming. I had them on my old Golf and they really did make a difference.

How do you fit them? Is it just a case of unscrewing a few screws and popping the bulb in? Or do I need a mechanic? Did you replace both normal and 'full' beam bulbs?

Last edited:

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
How to fit them? I hate to say it but it's a case of RTFM :D

The handbook shows you how to do it, no screws, just a couple of clips to push off, really easy to get to, bags of room for the dipped beam ones. the bulbs are held in with spring clips also, although they are fairly self explanitory. Just make sure that;
a) you don't touch the glass on the bulbs, as the grease from your hands can degrade the glass when it gets fried
b) There's a notch in the bulb that ensures they can only be fixed one way, so if you have to force them in, you're doing it wrong.

Should take you about 5 minutes, including opening the bonnet and looking all knowledgable to your neighbours :whistle:

I haven't bothered changing the full beam yet as I didn't think it was that bad. The H1 bulb full beam needs is cheaper and more widely available so I can do it if I need to at a later date.
It seems to be a VW trate, poor bulbs. My old MK4 Golf GTI and Octavia both had abysmal lights as standard.

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
carl4x4 said:
How to fit them? I hate to say it but it's a case of RTFM :D

:lol:

Thanks for the help. Incidentally I thought the headlights were diabolic on my TFSI when I first used them. I thought I'd have to take it back for repair. Then I realised that they were dialed all the way down using the control under the steering wheel. :redface:

Right I've ordered my Philips Blue Vision headlights. Hope they arrive before the weekend. I ordered both normal and full (H1 and H7).

Thanks for all the help

Last edited:

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
Word of caution, I started to fit the main beam H1 bulbs this evening, it had just rained and within a minute of me removing the rubber cap protecting the bulbs, the headlight cover started steaming up !!!!
I had to run the engine with all the lights on for 10 minutes until the heat from the lights had evapourated the condensation. Better wait for a dry day next time !

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
carl4x4 said:
Word of caution, I started to fit the main beam H1 bulbs this evening, it had just rained and within a minute of me removing the rubber cap protecting the bulbs, the headlight cover started steaming up !!!!
I had to run the engine with all the lights on for 10 minutes until the heat from the lights had evapourated the condensation. Better wait for a dry day next time !

Did you use a mirror to do the Main beam ones? Like the guy that started the thread I had a look and it seems very tricky to work in the space behind the rubber cap.

Am I supposed to turn anything off / pull any fuses before changing these?

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I didn't fit the main beam bulbs as I didn't want to let any more condensation into the units ! Will wait for a dry weekend I think.

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
carl4x4 said:
I didn't fit the main beam bulbs as I didn't want to let any more condensation into the units ! Will wait for a dry weekend I think.

Well I fitted both the dipped and main today but was utterly stumped by the side lights!

The dipped were relatively straight-forward, you just need to be a bit more brutal than I was happy with to get the connector off.

The main beam were a real pain in the ass! My fingers are still sore from trying to get the clip off :headhurt:

But the side lights I simply couldn't suss at all. No clip to hold them in, I pulled / pushed / unscrewed / screwed but nothing seemed to work. Anyone any advice?

I'll be heading off to the airport at 4am Monday and so I'll be able to see the difference (if any) then.

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
I have new Philips Vision Plus bulbs in both main and dipped lights, they are awesome. Had new bulbs fitted to my Ibiza and they were definately worth it but they werent as good as these.

I got the dealer to fit them so cant help with the fitting but would definately recommend changing the standard bulbs to these asap. In total cost me £35 <- how can you complain!!

They are bright white light, not as bright as HID but then £35 is much nicer than £700 or whatever it is as a dealer option or driving around with illegal ones.

Mik3y boy

dchbrown said:
yeah its a bit of con in the brochure. if you look all the cars have the xenon projectors on them but no washers. theyve been busy with photoshop me thinks :)

Thats true mate i ordered a new Leon in December with the Bi-Xenon headlights,they delivered in March on the day i was to pick up they rang me to tell me one of the washer jet caps were missing Grrrr! didn't know they had them due to the broschure lol !!:rocker:

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
darrellr said:
I'll be heading off to the airport at 4am Monday and so I'll be able to see the difference (if any) then.

WOWW!! What a difference. Even the marketing blather about the light being similar to natural daylight is true! The only down side is that there is no going back now. Every car I own will have to have the same modification!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.