New Leon on Fifth Gear

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
GreyKnight said:
Absolutely. A SMART car can be made to out perform a Murcielago if enough cash is pointed at it. Modified cars aren't the cars they are based around any more...

Er, how exactly Knight?

Are we talking solid rocket boosters here :D

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
sted said:
changing the car invalidates all current times as a bemchmark though. Also rnning a tuned car against a std car is an exercise in futility

lol, this forum is full of peoples stories of how their remapped LCR (or whatever) beat a standard boxster/wrx/ctr etc etc etc

i'd love to see a Lambo beating SMART :cartman: :doh:

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
rhumber said:
And I would love to see a Smart beating a Lambo ! ;)

read it again funboy. 'lambo beating SMART', like 'world beating olympian' or similar.

If i'd meant to say lambo beating a smart, i'd have written it. :p

Sethmate

Jul 4, 2005
Northumberland
GreyKnight said:
The thing is that the motoring review shows seem to dislike SEAT as a brand and for some reason I can't fathom they just seem to ignore it. I'm fairly certain that Top Gear never reviewed the LCR (I only ever heard it mentioned once!) and I'll be amazed if they do more than merely mention on their news section when the Mk2 Leon Cupra comes out.

I don't get it :confused:

Is this not becoming a bit of a "nobody loves us" rant. Enjoy the fact that the LC / LCR are (relatively) hidden gems and that those of us who have them have "seen the light".

Could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the LC / mk1 leon won several awards from Top Gear / Fifth Gear when it was originally launched - affordable performance hatch, etc, etc, etc

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Sethmate said:
Is this not becoming a bit of a "nobody loves us" rant.

Aye, I can hear the violins. But I agree, the Leon won lots of awards (What car etc) and was always thought of as the better driving alternative to the last Golf.

If the current Leon has been over-looked somewhat, its because of the plethora of new small family hatches that the market has been flooded with.

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
It's been overlooked because it's unremarkable isn't it? It's not that good looking (unless you like the old-civic look I guess) in current form, looks far too much like both the altea and toledo (from same blinking car company) and is being priced much higher than last time round (one of the principle reasons why i bought mine was how much cheaper it was). Given the current pricing i'm expecting the cupra to be costing near enough the price of a Golf GTI (which most people would rather have for badge alone) or the Focus ST (which will probably be cheaper..).
It's not that it's a bad car, but it doesn't do much for me right now, even with more BHP on tap than the old Cupra in FSI form.