New MAF not clearing codes.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
krisby, you have pins 1 - 5, but pin 1 isn't used and there is no connector present in the plug. The four pins that are present are 2, 3, 4 and 5.

2 (which you call 1) is 12v power so NOT ECU - the ECU works with 5V signals. 3 is the ground connection, linked to pin 4 of the ECU, helping to ensure a common ground. 4 is the 5V reference input from the ECU and 5 the signal output, which can be expected to vary between 0 and 5V.

Measuring resistances is not going to help a lot. You want to check that pin 2 is 12V and pin 4 is 5V compared to pin 3. Pin 3 should be continuous to any earth point you can find.

Last edited:

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Ae? nah, that is not what I am seeing. The plug is labelled 1 to 5, 1 has a pin, 5 does not, I get no result on pin 2, i.e the 2nd pin, also labelled 2nd pin, whereas I get a resistance on all the other pins. Pin 5 has nothing in it, its blank.

So I am not sure what the hell is going on, I will check after work tonight, but I'm sure that is how it was.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Just had a looksee, the markings on the end of the plug read left right, therefore I would count the pins 1 to 5, not hebrew. Pins 1 to 4 are there, pin 5 is missing. The Maf itself has 5 pins.

Regardless, pin 2, or pin 4, I am getting no reading on, so I will get an mobile sparky to have a poke around. In fact, I better go find one now.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Can you post a photo?

Seat diagrams show the missing pin 1 as being next to the rounded end of the connector, pin 5 next to the flat end

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Just had a looksee, the markings on the end of the plug read left right, therefore I would count the pins 1 to 5, not hebrew. Pins 1 to 4 are there, pin 5 is missing. The Maf itself has 5 pins.

Regardless, pin 2, or pin 4, I am getting no reading on, so I will get an mobile sparky to have a poke around. In fact, I better go find one now.

You keep banging on about getting no "reading" or no "result" when you're checking the pins. Just explain what you're checking for (voltage, resistance, natural butter value, etc.) instead of being all wooly with your answers.

Oh, and by the way, neither P1144 or P1557 are related to a MAF fault. Are you chasing a fault which doesn't exist! :blink:

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
You keep banging on about getting no "reading" or no "result" when you're checking the pins. Just explain what you're checking for (voltage, resistance, natural butter value, etc.) instead of being all wooly with your answers.

Oh, and by the way, neither P1144 or P1557 are related to a MAF fault. Are you chasing a fault which doesn't exist! :blink:

I said on the previous page I tested for resistance and voltages, and got no result on all but pin 2, not wooly, I explained it as I saw it, a gutless car and short to ground is not a ghost error in any ones books surely.

And got it sorted today anyway, auto electrician took plug apart (on harness) and sure enough, wire for pin 2 was not connected, he cleared codes, resoldered, rechecked, and codes have not returned.

I took it for a thrashing and the car is totally different, it now pulls like a train, no limp, and great fun at traffic lights.

I wish I'd spent £50 sooner getting it checked properly instead of trying to sort it myself.

So it would seem have no power to the MAF can cause some odd codes, who would have thought positive deviation can be a result of a MAF that is not a MAF.

Last edited:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I said on the previous page I tested for resistance and voltages, and got no result on all but pin 2, not wooly, I explained it as I saw it, a gutless car and short to ground is not a ghost error in any ones books surely.

And got it sorted today anyway, auto electrician took plug apart (on harness) and sure enough, wire for pin 2 was not connected, he cleared codes, resoldered, rechecked, and codes have not returned.

I took it for a thrashing and the car is totally different, it now pulls like a train, no limp, and great fun at traffic lights.

I wish I'd spent £50 sooner getting it checked properly instead of trying to sort it myself.

So it would seem have no power to the MAF can cause some odd codes, who would have thought positive deviation can be a result of a MAF that is not a MAF.

Overboost may be related to a faulty MAF, but an overboost fault code isn't a MAF fault code. That's the first time I heard you say anything about "positive deviation" which is one of the fault codes you gave at the start.

How you expect sensible answers to your questions when you hide half the information is beyond me to be honest.

No matter. It's sorted now. [B)]

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Overboost may be related to a faulty MAF, but an overboost fault code isn't a MAF fault code. That's the first time I heard you say anything about "positive deviation" which is one of the fault codes you gave at the start.

How you expect sensible answers to your questions when you hide half the information is beyond me to be honest.

No matter. It's sorted now. [B)]

Ah, sorry, what have I done to piss you off? I explained everything in my first few posts, what I did, how I tried to fix it, what happened then, I mentioned the codes, which are short to ground and positive deviation, I have not hidden anything.

What half of the information did I hide? I offered everything I could think of, heck I thought I was giving up too much information. Plus this all goes back to the beginning, I said I had visited site after site and the information often given is the same, but from what I have read, there is no definitive answer for one problem, codes pop up for unrelated part faults. I said what I had done and asked for alternatives, which I got.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Good stuff man, it's always a relief when things get sorted and it makes a difference.:)

A huge difference, I really can't believe I've been missing out on this performance the whole time, it pisses over the mrs 1.8 SE, it's like I bought a new car today. Now when I replace the wifes with a diesel I know what to expect too.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.