New member Ibiza Cupra 1.8 TSI

Toast

Jun 10, 2019
New to this forum as this is my first Cupra (although I had a ibiza before). Many years ago I built a Corsa B with a C20LET in that used to run 12s 1/4 miles @ 128mph. However, life and family has meant I have only had family cars since. The Ibiza Cupra is the only car that put the same smile on my face I had when driving the Corsa.

I am looking forward to playing around with the engines on these but there seems to be very little information on them. Are there many members with these cars? Would be great to find out what other people have done.

YQz3qCW.jpg

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Welcome, nice colour on your Cupra.

The 1.8 TSI is a flexible engine tuning wise. A software remap alone could see you going up to around 240 - 250bhp with 50 - 60 NM or so of torque gained. I will be getting a stage 1 remap on mine soon.

The 1.8 is basically a shorter stroke version of the 2.0 TSI used in the Leon Cupra / Golf R etc. I think the stock internals and turbo are good up to about 300bhp, at which point you would want start swapping parts out and getting other parts reinforced.

What are your plans for your Cupra?

Toast

Jun 10, 2019
I made the mistake of finding out the IS38 turbo from the Golf R / Leon Cupra bolts on. Looks like the usual stage 2 parts along with a remap will see high 300s (I didn't see any discussion about the internals being a problem below 400.

However, more realistically I have put on an induction kit and turbo muffler delete and it now sounds much better. I have got the parts to fit a bigger intercooler (550mm x 230mm). Just need to workout how to take the bumper off. Along with an exhaust and stage two remap I will be happy.

One thing I have noticed is the suspension and brakes could do with some attention. So will look at these at some point.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I made the mistake of finding out the IS38 turbo from the Golf R / Leon Cupra bolts on. Looks like the usual stage 2 parts along with a remap will see high 300s (I didn't see any discussion about the internals being a problem below 400.

However, more realistically I have put on an induction kit and turbo muffler delete and it now sounds much better. I have got the parts to fit a bigger intercooler (550mm x 230mm). Just need to workout how to take the bumper off. Along with an exhaust and stage two remap I will be happy.

One thing I have noticed is the suspension and brakes could do with some attention. So will look at these at some point.
Looks like you'll fit right in haha

You should start a Readers ride to show your progress and get help along the way if you need it haha

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?forums/readers-rides-seat.229/

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members